HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
Build Log
KMP Fw-190 D9

OK, I am going to start this here with some pics and such and will add on occasions. I ordered the aircraft from Andrew Kondor at the Toledo Model Show last spring and got it late summer. It was a package of the kit, hardware, and Sierra Retracts for the ship (the 190 style not a generic set). I wanted to get my first taste of warbirds and I am a 190 fan deluxe.

The plan is to use JR/Spektrum radio gear, a DA60, and fly it on a JR 11X. So far, the airframe is decent but not perfect in profile, but I did not expect it to be. I was able to buy the airframe in primer not the Hans Dortmann D9(WNr 210003) as is what he sells normally. I like to paint and wanted a one off aircraft, it is going to be done as WNr 500666 that was flown by JG 301 and was found, sans wings, at the end of the war at Kassel, Germany. I am going for some detail but this sure will not be a Scale Masters ship.

So far I have gotten the retracts installed and am currently getting the wing servos in and set along with control horns and hinges. This is the second large Chinese ship I have built, I put together a 25% Sbach last year and the one thing I can say is, compared to that ship, KMP's hardware is pretty bad. Threaded rods are weak and the control horns are too. I am doing internal drive on the flaps, and using Sullivan steel horns for ailerons and elevators, and will use some OTS rudder PP hardware. There is really not much more to finish the wings basic work other than to mount the root cannons and make it where I can hang a centerline tank.

I will hang a few pics here and what I want it to look like, more to come in time.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:38 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,768 Posts
NIce , sweet looking !!!
I am working on a smaller Pica one 64" that I picked up cheap and now I am bashing it to more scale .
Love the Dora , very cool !!
Keep up the good work
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
Chapter II, well got all the mounts in the wing for ailerons and flaps and the flap horns are now ready as well. The big project for this weekend was getting the gear doors on. I realize that you guys that have done it before, it aint no big deal, I was kind of in agony over it. A bit of an issue with the KMP ship is that to use Sierra Retracts, they had to fugde the mounts to get the wheel down angles right with the bottom of the wing, and so doing, the wheels stick out a bit from the wells and so to the lower end of the mains. Since the gear doors are metal, I went to forming them to streamline the area as best I could and then started to get the hangers in position and drill the doors for the hangers.

I basically went very well, one side is not perfect with other, but they are close and I will work a bit more to tweak it. I took the whole bird outside for it's first portrait, and it really does look good to me, again, aint perfect but plenty good enough.

Marc
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:55 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
nice

subscribed.........Brian
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
The saga continues, seemed like I did not get much done this weekend, but it all adds up. One significant item to note is that a surface moved via a servo this weekend, a flap. I wanted to make sure that my linkage was good and all so got the servo monuted and hooked the linkage and fired it up, and it worked great. The drive is internal and I do have a couple pics below. The hinges are done much the same as other ARF flaps that run the PR internal, but I had attached the flap side of the hinges to make it all work. As you can see, this set up will give me full 70 degrees of motion as the real D9 had, and that is significantly better than the stock had. The stock had the hinges in the middle of the face of the flap and you could get about take off setting then. Took some work, but I like it.

The second project this weekend was to set up the hold down plate that had some guts and that would allow the hold down bolts to lay against the wing correctly. The KMP plate assembly was just two thickness of their standard plywood with a blind nut on each side of the centerline, so good so far. Well, you mount the wing and that is when it all looked a bit suspect. The socket head screw that had a washer to hold the wing on made contact with the wing on the trailing egde side of the washer, and if you went for contact, you would crush that side of the wing under the bolt/washer. So I knocked out the blind nuts and made up a nice 5/16" piece of ply to add to the mounted plate and then I will reshoot the holes, tap for 1/4-20 and use a srew and washer with that that fits flush with the lower surface of the wing.

Also, added a 1/16" plate on the LE fuse over hang to just make it a bit more rigid. You will also notice that I shot foam (actually Gorilla Glue and water mixed and poured in to the fillet) in the wing fillet to just add some rigidity. More of that to come on the wing except I will use two part foam and fill in around the retracts, gun tubes, and wheel well.

Also, got the engine for the ship this week and the trusty defender of the Reich made his appearance as well, pics included

Marc
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:03 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
sweet!!

Thanks Marc. Looks good.. Love that motor. Brian
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
One other thing I got finished this weekend was the wing root cannons for the ship. these were MG 151 cannon shooting 20mm shells. I already have the holes through the LE but no mounting hardware inside the wing. They are threaded 5/16x16 (I think) and have blind nuts to tee into. A rocket tube will be the housing inside the wing. The barrel is about 7/16" OD and with 1/16" wall.

Marc
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
Well, nothing like screwing something up and having to do it again. Had the guns mounted and then mated the fuse again and was off in the vertical axis of the barrels, crap! Yanked it all out and will start over tomorrow. Lessoned learned, do a better job next time.

Marc
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
First gun back in and mounted more accurately. Got to run look at a puppy with the wife this afternoon, more tomorrow.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
This weekends work, both cannons mounted and the pitot tube too. Nothing dramatic, but the wings are just about done except for the external tank mounting in the wing root.

Marc
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:18 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,272 Posts
Beautiful looking build, nice work. Cheers.
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
Thanks Duece, it is fun building a warbird at this scale, it is quite a departure from my soaring stuff.

Marc
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
Ever had a weekend where the brain was in total vaporlock, well, welcome to my Saturday. I had thought I had it all figured out how to attach a pylon and external tank in my internal CAD system in my head, and then what I had concluded would work was not anywhere close. So I just quit and after a good nights sleep, woke up this AM and had an answer in the first 30 minutes this morning.

As you can see in the pics, there are lightening holes in the root rib that is reinforced with a thicker rib that can not be seen to reinforce the joiner tube and the whole root area. Well, I cleaned up the thinner rib to the same hole shape as the thicker rib and made an insert to fit in it with an allotment space wise to accept 1/2x1/4" AL bar that will run from the wing mount through the pylon through the full depth of the tank shape. The pylon (which can be seen in a mock up of cardboard) is balsa and carbon sheet in layers around the AL and then on into the tank that will be balsa, plywood, and foam sanded to shape. Not real rocket science here but it is amazing how long it took to get these inserts to fit and come up with the attachment.

Basicall, when I am putting the ship together, I will mount the tank/pylon assembly to the left wing half with 4-40 bolts and then join the wings together. Once all is mounted, should be pretty tough and secure and relatively light, I figure I will have about 4-6 ounces in the whole thing.

More next weekend hopefully.

Marc
Old Mar 04, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
It won't look like much, but a couple of picks from this weekend. Got the pylon finished and started to get the tank mocked up in profile via a tank from a 1/32 scale plastic kit, a nice 6.4 multiplier and micrometer to get that done. One issue that arose, and it never crossed my mind before today, but the tank will be great in profile, but will have to be very skinny to have the gears/wheels clear it.

Not sure how you guys can work for 8-9 hours in a day, my brain cannot stay in the game that long!

Marc

Pics later I guess, server says it can't handle it...
Last edited by R.M. Gellart; Mar 06, 2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Sep 2004
78 Posts
pilot

Hey Mark
Was looking at your pilot, this is nitpicking I know but he doesn't look German
jerryshape is offline Find More Posts by jerryshape