HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Discussion
Peck Polymers P-nut P-51

Here's my first Free Flight attempt.

As is, it weighs in at 3.7 grams. I plan on leaving the gear off, I don't think it would survive, at least until I get my head wrapped around the whole process. I built the horizontal stab so I can trim it about 3/32 of a inch either way. I'm happy about the squareness, although it took some fine tuning with a sanding block.

The last two photos show the left wing wash-in, right wing wash-out recommended on the plans (1/16). That really freaked me out at first when checking for square, since at first glance they look uneven. I'm a bit concerned about tip stall, but I'll give it a go as is, again, to figure out this hands off flying stuff.

I'm covering with kit tissue using glue stick. I tested out the tissue on a few square frames I made and a mist of 70% iso alcohol to shrink and a sealing coat of Tamiya Clear (ether based) thinned 50% with iso worked best.

It'll be interesting to see if I can keep warps out.

If you see anything or have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Last edited by ausf; Jan 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:46 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Looks good ausf.

I find the finished model comes out at roughly double the weight of the bones stage - so your on track for a good flier!

Jon
Yak 52 is offline Find More Posts by Yak 52
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Thanks Jon,

I'll be carefully weighing it every step to get an idea of how things add on..covering, sealer, decals, etc.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Got it covered, kit supplied tissue and Ehlmer's gluestick. Weighs in at 6.6 grams. 9.2 with the nose.

I had this brilliant idea of using the airbrush to shrink. I sprayed the iso, then blew it with straight air to dry, only to get even more brilliant and turn the PSI to 20 from the 8 or so I was using. Wet tissue and 20 PsI of air through a detail airbrush makes nice holes.

So I learned a bit about patching too.
Last edited by ausf; Jan 30, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:58 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,256 Posts
ausf,
Nice looking P-51.
Is the framework in the front of the canopy painted on or is it tissue strips?
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
ausf,
Nice looking P-51.
Is the framework in the front of the canopy painted on or is it tissue strips?
Thanks.

It's tissue. Since this was kind of a test, I wasn't sure of what I would do in terms of paint, etc. as well as not knowing how I was going to even attach the canopy.

I tried the gluestick bond, tissue to canopy and canopy to wood and it was solid, so that's how I attached it, I figured frame it too.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:08 PM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
That looks very good indeed - both the design, which is surprisingly Mustang-like considering the small amount of wood in it - and your building of it.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Work in Progress View Post
the design, which is surprisingly Mustang-like considering the small amount of wood in it
I completely agree. This was my first kit of this type and I'm amazed that it not only is pretty sturdy with such little structure, it really does get the basics of the P-51 in order.

The leading edge is 1/20" square stock that I sanded to shape afterwards. I didn't expect it to survive my clumsy covering technique, but not only did it make it through all of that, it holds it's shape beautifully.

Thanks for your kind words.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:14 AM
Joined Jan 2011
97 Posts
Wow the Peck Peanut p51 was the first free flight plane I ever built, way back in 96/97. Built it as a project for an aviation class in Jr. High. It got an A, it was the only project that was an actual plane, that flew. Everybody else stuck to boring reports on the physics of flight, I actually demonstrated.

Nice job on the plane. The way I covered mine, I used elmers white glue thinned with water, and a glue stick. I stuck the tissue to the frame with the stick, shrunk with water, then sprayed the water/elmers mix over the tissue as a "dope" to make the tissue firm.
SRWitt is offline Find More Posts by SRWitt