HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2001, 02:27 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Why is it that you'll hit the one thing sticking up at your field?

Why does it never fails that if there is one Post/tree/bush/rock, in the middle of your flying field, you'll end up hitting it.

It doesn't matter if you have 100 acres to fly over, if there's one stupid object in the middle of it, you'll whack into it.

I was making a landing today when I hit the ONE stupid bush in the middle of the wide open field. Has this happened to anyone else?---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2001, 03:31 AM
Joined Apr 2001
284 Posts
Your assuming gravity is real. Nope. The ground sucks. Stuff you can hit sucks more.
fisher is offline Find More Posts by fisher
Old Jul 07, 2001, 03:47 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
If there's only the one thing sticking up what else could you hit ?

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jul 07, 2001, 03:48 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,513 Posts
100 acres is the size of my neighbor's place where I fly. It's all grass and marsh. The only thing that stuck up anywhere was my truck antenna. Guess what the leading edge of my 1.5m glider found one day?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 07, 2001, 03:53 AM
ireland
Joined Apr 2001
250 Posts

The model aeroplanes ability to find an object in front of it is in direct proportion to to how small it is relitive to the flying area divided by the square of your conviction that its nowhere near your present flight path multiplied by the speed of a stactic objects ability to jump directly into your present flight path

Janary to present 2001 flight test results

plane chuckie obects hit so far flying time total this year 20 hours plus

rugby goal post 3 times various levels minor damage suprise level immense each time

Only stupid little stone sticking up on sideline of football pich and hill without any other stones in sight 2 time wing nuts broken had forgoten spares those days

one street light pole at end of cul de sac protuding into large open space no damage to street light or pole

One leg, one head, leg victim me going for catch broken inner front spar
Head my friend
lying down on grass decided to stand up into flight path no damage to plane or head but trust level from friend seriously damaged

park fly 400 direct drive total flying hours this year 40 hours plus

one goal post broken wing nut plastic

six plus bushes one servo arm broken and small fabric tears

one tiny tree outer leading spar damaged

three wing clips against larger trees suprise level high no damage

one stupid stone sticking up three inches at beggining end of landing path of slope
in force four wind requiring steep fast landing
broke off polyhedal wing section bought new wings set

The best so far this year a club member flying on a desolate beach with his new
ww2 fighter 2.5 cc on second test flight takeoff scared a group of sea-gulls and outer feathers of one clipped his wing tip
barrel rolling him at 10 feet up into
total destuction or so he says only witnesses sea-gullsgulls

more yarns from Ireland available in my local price one litre of beer (I like metric)

thin wing is offline Find More Posts by thin wing
Old Jul 07, 2001, 05:51 AM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 1999
232 Posts
Isn't it something to do with Murphy's Law, that, if something can go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment!

(see http://dmawww.epfl.ch/roso.mosaic/dm/murphy.html

Brian
Brian Lyle is offline Find More Posts by Brian Lyle
Old Jul 07, 2001, 06:32 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,804 Posts
I hit a cement cover next to the road while doing a touch-n-go! The prop got nicked and it broke a wheel hub, but the plane flew on!

That seems like a good post for #5000! I have giving up on ever catching Andy
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jul 07, 2001, 07:20 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
There's a theory in high-performance driving schools that you have a tendency to steer a car where your eyes are focused, whether you want to go that way or not. This theory teaches that you should always stay totally focused on the exact line that you want to take through each corner. Similarly, if you are in a car that starts to skid or spin, if you look, for instance, at a telephone pole, you are likely to have a tendency to steer into it. So the theory teaches that when your car is skidding or spinning, you should try to focus on open space and you will have a tendency to skid toward the open space as long as you continue to work at controlling the car's direction. This may also be applicable to the single obstacle in a flying field. If, when landing, you focus on this object to try to avoid it, you may get the opposite result. Instead, focus on an open piece of land well away from the object.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jul 07, 2001, 07:54 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
Dave, it's the one I didn't see that gets me. That is way you hear "where did that come from??" I find the if there is something I don't want to hit, I aim for it. I never hit what I'm aiming at.
..AZ Chuck
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old Jul 07, 2001, 02:21 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Bronk:
That seems like a good post for #5000!
Wow, Fred! That should put you in the Ezone God status, shouldn't it?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 07, 2001, 02:45 PM
Old school newb
Iraq
Joined Feb 2001
840 Posts
Hey, I almost hit myself with a LT-40 today!! how about that!!
PunkerTFC is offline Find More Posts by PunkerTFC
Old Jul 07, 2001, 03:20 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
I hit a soccer goal post on the second flight of a brand new X-Models Whisper. The only soccer goal post on the whole field!

Aaarrgghhh! Those composite molded wings never look good after they've been repaired. I waited a while to have that plane shipped from overseas.

Very frustrating...
docphi is offline Find More Posts by docphi
Old Jul 07, 2001, 04:09 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
I think Dave Hederich is on the right track- if you are looking at or even visualising the obstacle, it is perversely natural to fly/drive at it
It may be a similar phenomenon to the golf technique of visualising what you want the little ball to do- your muscles try to give you the result that you imagine
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Jul 07, 2001, 07:18 PM
Old Guy
Carver, MA USA
Joined Jun 2000
553 Posts
All the stuff you hit is PROTECTION. If there were nothing else you would routinely hit yourself.
Ron
Ron Cichowski is offline Find More Posts by Ron Cichowski
Old Jul 07, 2001, 09:33 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,510 Posts
I once hit a 4 foot high, bright orange traffic cone some football players left in the middle of the field.

It was still there the next day. I tried to fly my foamie trainer into it.

Couldn't even come close...

Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck