HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 05:58 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
Anyone have a camera and a Cub with struts?
Jimmy Hoffa is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Hoffa
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 01:09 AM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
I don't and I did look for the plans.

http://aviationshoppe.com/piper-j3-cub-p-289.html
http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/...piper-cub.html
http://manuals.hobbico.com/top/rc28-j3-cub-manual.pdf
http://www.toni-clark.com/english/mo...er/piper3v.htm

Here are some links that might help. You may have to do scaling but hope this helps.

Ace
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old May 08, 2012, 01:43 AM
1/2as actually fit in my car
United States, PA, West Grove
Joined Aug 2011
69 Posts
i have the plans somewhere i might be able to scan that section. i have more then one set so if it gotta cut one to make it work i can make it work.
bushcub is offline Find More Posts by bushcub
Old May 08, 2012, 07:48 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
PROACE,
Thanks for posting those links. They have a lot of interesting info.

I believe the wing struts of the Herr kit are just small strips of balsa with wire attached at the ends. Since no photo is available, could someone describe how they are constructed? My plane already has attachment tubes glued to the wing and fuselage mounting locations. I have the instructions from Sig that includes a small plan. They indicate balsa but there is no description of the mounting system.
Old May 08, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Can you post a pic of your mounts?
Old May 08, 2012, 10:48 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
PROACE,
Each wing is missing the forward mount but the locations are obvious because the covering is pulled off. That's the way I got it.

I also included a picture of the 1/4" K&S aluminum streamline tubing that I am considering using. My plan is to flatten the ends in a vise, drill a hole and attach with a screw. I have matching paint and it would look good but probably weigh a little more than balsa.

PS - these close up pictures make the plane look like crap but from a few feet away it looks great
Old May 08, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Damn forum pissing me off. Lets see if it loses this post!
Old May 08, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
OK now back to a normal post. What is the wing span of your model?
The tubing would be nice but take into consideration that a hard landing can strip ot the screw holes.
Also, I believe the model was designed for the struts to be just for looks on the ground and removed before flight. I may be wrong but I think the mounts were silicone and the struts had a 1/16 wire epoxied to the strut and the wires just pushed into the silicone tube to hold strut in place.
Old May 08, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Try last page for info on attachment of strut and page 2 for strut material size.
Old May 08, 2012, 12:49 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROACE View Post
What is the wing span of your model?
The tubing would be nice but take into consideration that a hard landing can strip ot the screw holes.
Also, I believe the model was designed for the struts to be just for looks on the ground and removed before flight.
It's the 1/2A 48" WS.

The struts are definitely not structural. The wing is very sturdy. It's interesting that you suggest they be removed before flight. I was looking for a more scale appearance but since they are totally faux, now I'm thinking about leaving them off! Also thanks for pointing out that the aluminum may be a liability. If you notice in the pictures, I used clear silicone on the landing gear so it would be able to flex slightly.
Old May 08, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Cool, you have an original

With todays lighter flight electronics and more powerful motors nitro and BL, I bet the plane will be a floater.
Old May 08, 2012, 05:35 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
Mine weighs 23oz not including a 3.1oz battery. It does float and landings require a long final approach compared to my other planes. I fly it down to about 1' and then just let it float until it's ready to land. I love a smooth touchdown at just the right speed.

Anyone put floats on this plane? Pictures would be great.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:12 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,081 Posts
What ever happened to bushcub's plane? I am building a Herr cub right now and converting it to a Pa-18 Super Cub with flaps, alerons, and a modified rudder. I am planning on useing the cowl from the HZ super cub. I am also useing the TT .07, I hope it will be enough power, I figure the flaps will help. I have a build thread posted in the fuel talk section if any of you are interested. You could be the first one other then me to post a reply haha http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1770503 I also have a herr cub that I bought used and that has two wings, but I have only flown it three channel. These are great little planes.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1