SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:54 AM
1/2as actually fit in my car
United States, PA, West Grove
Joined Aug 2011
69 Posts
still not done with this plane. only thing holding me back is ca hinges and time. now im looking at moving back to my native PA so ive been "job hunting" aka calling every one i know and saying dude can you get me a job lol. lucky me my uncle is a manager at a napa so ill have a driver job till i can find a body shop to get into. at least when i move ill have room to work on my planes again and wont have to get rid of my 1/5th scale cub.
bushcub is offline Find More Posts by bushcub
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:55 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Good Luck! it will work out, always does.
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
69 Posts
i also would have it done if i didnt have 1000 other expensive hobbies too. i mean cigar collecting being the latest to suck up my cash. now i need to put some work into my guitars. if its not one thing its another. i also need to change my oil and tranny fluid in my car.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:02 AM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Cigars, model planes, and guitars won't get you to work and back
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:40 AM
Joined Aug 2011
69 Posts
unless i build a plane big enough to fly me to work but small enough to land in the parking lot lol.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
I found a built Herr 1/2A J-3 Cub at a garage sale for $5! It was set up for glow but apparently never saw any nitro. The previous owner did an excellent job building it. He and also set it up for ailerons. I was able to purchase decals and a cowling from Sig.

I cut a hatch in the front bottom of the fuselage to make battery access easy. Power is a Value Hobby E400 1200Kv motor swinging a GWS DD9x7.5. I plan on switching to a 8" with less pitch.

http://tinyurl.com/7npuser

It's way over powered but fly's fantastic with some throttle control to keep it scale looking.

I need help with the wing supports. It did not come with any and I'm not sure how to build them. Anyone have closeup pictures or possibly want to sell a set?

For me, this plane is a nice alternative from 3D flying. I love it!
Jimmy Hoffa is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Hoffa
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
I would put a glow motor in it and call it 1/2A I will dig through my plans and see if I still have the Herr J3.
Herr design that J3 for glow or electric with gearbox and that was back when sp400 can motors were gaining popularity. Great forward thinking, now that with BL setups equaling or less in weight than equivilent glow setups it is awesome.
Great flying model!
Contact SIG and they be able to supply the wing struts.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Aug 2011
69 Posts
that makes me wanna get mine done. now now that i moved the nearest hobby shop is about an hour away lol
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:59 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
I'll call Sig tomorrow. They had a minimum shipping cost of $9.50 when I purchased the cowl and decals last week.

Following is their available parts list:

Piper J-3 1/2A Cub

HRR505
Replacement Parts
Product Code
Description Price Type Order
Quantity
HRRCW505 HERR J-3 CUB 1/2A COWLING EACH $7.49
HRRDEK505 HERR DUMMY ENG KIT J-3 CUB
1/2A R/C[K-505] EACH $1.99
HRRDKM505 HERR DECAL FOR PIPER J-3 CUB
[K-505] EACH $2.19
HRRHP505 HERR HARDWARE PAK J-3 CUB
1/2A R/C[K-505] EACH $4.49
HRRIB505 HERR INSTR BOOK PIPER J-3 CUB
[K-505] EACH $2.99
HRRKP505A HERR KIT PLAN SHT#A PIPER J-3
CUB FUSE PLAN [K-505] EACH $2.99
HRRKP505B HERR KIT PLAN SHT#B PIPER J-3
CUB WING PLAN [K-505] EACH $2.99
HRRWB505 HERR WOOD BAG J-3 CUB 1/2A R/C
[K-505] EACH $38.99
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:03 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushcub View Post
that makes me wanna get mine done. now now that i moved the nearest hobby shop is about an hour away lol
Order on line. Save gas and cost. I know that is bad for LHS but you aren't local.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,941 Posts
A cub type model with a flat wing looks like the wing halves are drooping. A little dihedral won't hurt aileron effectiveness and may help stability. Hint: if you use two micro servos with a Y harness for ailerons, have the servo arms angled forward. This will give you more up than down motion of ailerons, similar to using differential ailerons to avoid "adverse yaw"
and make model turn easier. Use aileron/rudder mix if your transmitter has it, makes turns much easier and graceful, you can switch it off to manually coordinate rudder and aileron inputs. Use nudges of rudder as needed to keep model running straight during takeoff. Use up elevator to keep tail wheel on ground during first part of takeoff run and after touch down on landing.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:23 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
E-Challenged,
That's a good suggestion. I'll try mixing in a little aileron differential.

I purchased some same 1/4" K&S aluminum streamline tubing to make wing struts. It may weigh slightly more than the stock balsa design though. Could someone post detailed pictures of the stock setup? I am especially interested in the wire ends and how they attach to the balsa struts. My plane had the attachment point tubes installed by the previous owner when I purchased it but was missing the struts.
Old May 06, 2012, 03:21 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
I would very much appreciate someone posting detailed pictures of the wing struts. The aluminum tubing I am considering will add about an ounce. No big deal but the balsa and wire should be lighter.
Thanks
Old May 06, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
69 Posts
id post pics but i dont run them. both the wings i have for my cub are built strong and attach strong too. i dont have a need for them so i never bothered to build them either time ive built this plane
Old May 06, 2012, 09:59 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
The wings struts are only for scale appearance only but I would like to have them on my Cub. Pictures of their design would be helpful. It seems they are flat pieces of balsa with wire attached at the ends. Please post a picture or explain how they are constructed. Thanks for your help.