HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:53 PM
Inspiration
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Aug 2011
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgood View Post
The best thing I have found to use is thinned JB Weld with acetone. I rewound four motors a few days that were originally bare metal that I painted with thinned JB Weld. With tight winds, none of the phases had continuity to the motor. I thin it down so it is about as thick as paint, and paint it on. In some cases I have gone back with a second coat that was slightly thicker and added a second coat at the ends where the wire wraps around and is most likely to lose some of its insulation when pulled tight. I just painted another stator tonight with JB Weld.

The photo of two motors shows what I did a few nights ago. The motor on the left was done in a single coat. The one on the right required an extra dab in a couple places where the JB Weld was not quite thick enough at a few corners.

The other photos show the one I am working on tonight.

I have tried paint on insulation, but it rubs off too easily.

Chris
I guess what you are using is something like the "green" power paint for insulation, usually seen on smaller outrunners. Right?
modisc is offline Find More Posts by modisc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:39 AM
Monkton, MD
Joined Dec 2003
250 Posts
I have not tried alcohol with JB Weld. JB Weld's website says to thin it with acetone or paint thinner. I have used alcohol with other kinds of epoxy as well, but not on motors.

Yes to the green paint-on insulator. I have painted and repainted that stuff on several motors, and can never get it to work right. The JB Weld is doing a much better job, and it is resistant to much higher temps.
chrisgood is offline Find More Posts by chrisgood
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:13 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modisc View Post
I guess what you are using is something like the "green" power paint for insulation, usually seen on smaller outrunners. Right?
For many uses, in the U.S. anyway, the paint used for insulation in motors is Glyptal with the 1201 being the classic reddish brown one:

http://www.glyptal.com/Glyptal_Product_Data_Sheets.htm

It is a bit pricy because you have to buy it in quarts or larger, you can get a feel for the costs on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/glyptal

I'd like to give that a try and would probably like to dip the stator in the paint. I'd plug the center holes and tape the ends of the hammer heads I think...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Last edited by jackerbes; Feb 07, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgood View Post
JB Weld's website says to thin it with acetone or paint thinner. I have used alcohol with other kinds of epoxy as well, but not on motors.
Well, that's smart.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Feb 07, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Sep 2010
484 Posts
Humm... some interesting suggestion.

Too late, I bought this last week, it said this is good for high voltage coil coating: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310219575780...84.m1497.l2649

I wonder if I can prepare a batch and dip the stator in it..?

Anyway I still have both the top and bottom FG plate, and insulation paper is still in very good shape, I think I will go this route.
martin_ is offline Find More Posts by martin_
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:43 PM
Inspiration
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Aug 2011
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
For many uses, in the U.S. anyway, the paint used for insulation in motors is Glyptal with the 1201 being the classic reddish brown one:

http://www.glyptal.com/Glyptal_Product_Data_Sheets.htm

It is a bit pricy because you have to buy it in quarts or larger, you can get a feel for the costs on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/glyptal

I'd like to give that a try and would probably like to dip the stator in the paint. I'd plug the center holes and tape the ends of the hammer heads I think...

Jack
I know that this is a perfect way of insulation on the stators, as long as the layer of paint is brushed on evenly with appropriate thickness. I will see if i can find similar product in China.

I used to think that the paint insulation is powder-like paint, and need to be applied on the stator using some special tool, after mixed with some solution.

I am also wandering whether the paint is hard enough to endure single thick wire winding, which, comparing with multiple thin wire winding, will generate much more force at the sharp corners.
modisc is offline Find More Posts by modisc
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:24 AM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
For smaller outrunners I just steal my wife's finger nail polish. It makes a nice coating when dipped in an enamel nail polish... pretty colors too!
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly