HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:07 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Contest
Fun Build 5 - 34" Sterling Ford Trimotor

I'll throw in with this nice old kit. Ebay score for $48.00, shipped.

Joe
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:48 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,300 Posts
It's a good flyer, Joe. I build one with a Cox .049 medallion Davis Diesel conversion, back in the 80's. Swung a 9-4 TF wood. Came in around 16oz. And flew at 50% power for 25min on a 1oz tank. It will not turn on ail only, with the scale dihedral. And rudder only turns, will not level out by itself or very pretty with the rudder.

But as in the full scale, turn with the rudder and keep the wings banked or level with the ail. Definetly co-ordinated turns.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Very nice.

At least two tri-moters in the funbuild now.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Definately not a kit seen every day ! Cool subject and will get you added

Cheers,
-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:21 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
741 Posts
The tri-motor is really cool! I'll be watching.
gupi is online now Find More Posts by gupi
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:53 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,720 Posts
Cool!
I bought the plans for this one a while ago and enlarged it to around 50" IIRC but never got a roundtuit.

Built at kit size with 10g motors it should be a good flying model.

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:45 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin View Post
It's a good flyer, Joe. I build one with a Cox .049 medallion Davis Diesel conversion, back in the 80's. Swung a 9-4 TF wood. Came in around 16oz. And flew at 50% power for 25min on a 1oz tank. It will not turn on ail only, with the scale dihedral. And rudder only turns, will not level out by itself or very pretty with the rudder.

But as in the full scale, turn with the rudder and keep the wings banked or level with the ail. Definetly co-ordinated turns.

Fuzz
Thanks, Fuzz, for the clear summation...nice to know some of its flying habits, boosts confidence level a notch. I always thought Sterling engineering was a bit above the average wood kits back then...some of their wood was not very light, same as the rest of the competition.

Joe
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:56 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post

Built at kit size with 10g motors it should be a good flying model.

Glenn
Thanks, gents, for the interest and comments...

Funny you should mention that, three 10 gram motors on the way...from HK, with 6 amp ESC's...150 grams thrust on each motor using 2s with 5x3 props @ 3.5 amps. That's their story anyway...I agree, should be fine with this setup.

Joe
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:31 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Thanks, Fuzz, for the clear summation...nice to know some of its flying habits, boosts confidence level a notch. I always thought Sterling engineering was a bit above the average wood kits back then...some of their wood was not very light, same as the rest of the competition.

Joe
Your welcome The modeling community has to realize, that Sterling, Guillows, and Comet, were in very high competition for a market that dwarfs the local hobby shops. If we saw one of these brands of kits in the LHS, there were 50,000 sold to other outlets.

Only in recent yrs, with the development of electric drive systems and micro radio flight packs, have we taken a bigger chunk of the market for these kits. And now, Guillows bought out Comet, Sterling is defunct. That leaves Guillows as king of the hill.

Approx 95% of the millions of kits, of this type ever sold, ever got built, built correctly,or even flew. About the most flight time they ever got was in shipping. If the wood was controlled for best flight results, they could not produce and sell the quantity needed to support the bizz.

That's where our skills and perserverance makes the designs come alive.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:47 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Thanks, gents, for the interest and comments...

Funny you should mention that, three 10 gram motors on the way...from HK, with 6 amp ESC's...150 grams thrust on each motor using 2s with 5x3 props @ 3.5 amps. That's their story anyway...I agree, should be fine with this setup.

Joe
Yeah, that's their story. That's why I did my own testing on the 1811 motor. Looks like the sweet spot is the 5x4.3 or 6x3.

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jan 31, 2012, 02:15 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Yeah, that's their story. That's why I did my own testing on the 1811 motor. Looks like the sweet spot is the 5x4.3 or 6x3.

Glenn
Thanks for the great info...the props I ended up with are 4.5x3.5's...they are old ones fron the spares box and are about 3/4" over scale, but have nice rounded tips. These should keep everything cool and stil pull the model well above scale speed...I think.

I was looking for a subject for this model and thought to see if the trimotor served in any military roles and was pleasantly surprised to find a USAF version that is absolutely stunning. Also found a Canadian and a British military version. The Brit model served in WWII with a camo paint job...very cool...they had only one trimotor, X5000, though.

Who could afford to remove the cowling's and spats, do whatever repair work and re-install it all back...every time...well, the govm'nt, that's who! I saw a picture awhile back of H. Ford's trimotor, it too was faired out...with the other airlines, these things were left off due to costs.

Joe
Last edited by redlite; Jan 31, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:59 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
I had some cedar veneer that will help spruce up the cabin. It's so thin, it barely registers on the scale...also, some trimming on the bulkheads opens up the cabin.

The windshield style is a bit modern, portraying a working plane in the 60's. I like the older slanted forward look, so that's on the list of mods.

Joe
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:58 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Hi Joe, I like the 6 amp esc, but it provides less than an amp for powering servos and such. I used a separate 3 amp switching regulator for the Privateer, and on a BV138 used a 12 amp esc of the same brand as the 6 for the center motor because it provides 1 1/2 amps for the servos. - Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:22 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenBFP View Post
Hi Joe, I like the 6 amp esc, but it provides less than an amp for powering servos and such. I used a separate 3 amp switching regulator for the Privateer, and on a BV138 used a 12 amp esc of the same brand as the 6 for the center motor because it provides 1 1/2 amps for the servos. - Len
Hello Len

Tell me if I understood your setup...your outboard motors are on a 6 amp esc each and the center motor has a 12 amp esc? If so, using the same brand esc's helps how?...thanks...

Joe
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:55 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,644 Posts
Hey Joe,

I'm along for the ride!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85