HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
69 Posts
Poll
which battery/quad/charger connectors are best?

Greetings all! I'm brand new to this site and almost just as new to RC flying. I bought a Gaui 500X-S and have built it up. I don't like having the bare banana/bullet plugs exposed due to potential grounding out/shorting issues. Anyone have a particular preference for connecting their batteries to their quads and chargers?
I've seen a bunch of different style connectors from Dean's, JST, E-Flite, etc. I like the look of the E-flite's EC3 connectors and was wondering if anyone is using them and can let me know if the male and female connectors can be soldered before putting into the connector body.
Any other info on this matter would be appreciated. Not sure if the battery make matters, but I'm using a Hyperion 4S and a Hyperion charger.

Thanks!
Scooter619 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter619
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:31 AM
Awaiting software update..
United Kingdom, Yorkshire
Joined Sep 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter619 View Post
Greetings all! I'm brand new to this site and almost just as new to RC flying. I bought a Gaui 500X-S and have built it up. I don't like having the bare banana/bullet plugs exposed due to potential grounding out/shorting issues. Anyone have a particular preference for connecting their batteries to their quads and chargers?
I've seen a bunch of different style connectors from Dean's, JST, E-Flite, etc. I like the look of the E-flite's EC3 connectors and was wondering if anyone is using them and can let me know if the male and female connectors can be soldered before putting into the connector body.
Any other info on this matter would be appreciated. Not sure if the battery make matters, but I'm using a Hyperion 4S and a Hyperion charger.

Thanks!

You use heat-shrink tubing to protect the exposed bullet-connector metalwork. Colour co-ordinate for polarity if you wish, makes it easier to keep everything right.

CPF
Ironframe is offline Find More Posts by Ironframe
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, MN, Chaska
Joined Sep 2011
526 Posts
Deans or XT60 connectors are the most popular ones and yes make sure you use shrink tube over the connectors you solder
drcigg is offline Find More Posts by drcigg
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:02 AM
Joined Jan 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironframe View Post

You use heat-shrink tubing to protect the exposed bullet-connector metalwork. Colour co-ordinate for polarity if you wish, makes it easier to keep everything right.

CPF
The problem is, in order to charge the battery, I have to disconnect it from the quad. And Gaui just uses bullet connectors and no other style of plastic/rubber shrouded connector. So I've got the battery leads flopping around with bullet connectors on. I realize there is a better way to do business. So that's why I was looking for input on aftermarket connectors. What I wasn't sure of was if the EC3's or other style connectors had to be soldered with their contacts still in. In those cases, it takes a finite amount of heat for very short duration in order to not melt the connector body. That's why I like soldering the contacts first, then inserting into a connector body. I've gone and ordered EC3's, so in a few days, I'll know what I'm dealing with.

Thanks!
Scooter
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, MN, Chaska
Joined Sep 2011
526 Posts
A good tip when soldering on deans or XT60 is to connect both the male and female ends together which helps keep the connector from melting. I have seen some people put a damp cloth on top of the connector too. I haven't melted a connector yet as a matter a fact I soldered on 10 XT60 connectors yesterday with no melting.
drcigg is offline Find More Posts by drcigg
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:23 PM
let's brm together!
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Nov 2011
390 Posts
I'm using EC4 and have some EC5 in my toolbox, you solder the connector and then insert it into the plastic. It's almost impossible to remove after that (and almost impossible to put in if solder escapes from the hole on the side of the bullet ;-))
zviratko is offline Find More Posts by zviratko
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Jan 2012
69 Posts
Thanks for the info on the EC4's. I ordered some 13AWG EC3's and some male/female EC5's. I'm hoping the physical connection is interchangeable between the EC stuff. So if I have some older devices using EC3's, they can still be plugged into other versions such as the EC4's or EC5's. I'll find out soon enough.

Cheers!
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:20 PM
let's brm together!
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Nov 2011
390 Posts
huh? EC3 = 3mm bullets, EC4 = 4mm... you can't connect them together.
zviratko is offline Find More Posts by zviratko
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zviratko View Post
huh? EC3 = 3mm bullets, EC4 = 4mm... you can't connect them together.
I didn't know that when I bought them. I found out when I received them and the EC5's are WAY bigger than the 3's. I probably needed EC4's to solder onto the battery leads, as the gauge of wire is a bit too thick for the EC3's. But I made it work. It would've been nice to know about the AWG limit for each connector style before I purchased them, but the site didn't say anything about it. So what do we do when we are connecting different thickness wires together?
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:57 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jun 2011
185 Posts
Use the smallest size which will fit the largest wire, then add an extra drop of solder in the cup of the smaller one when soldering it. I like the ec3s.
MIRV is offline Find More Posts by MIRV
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:29 AM
Australia, QLD, Bundaberg
Joined Feb 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter619 View Post
The problem is, in order to charge the battery, I have to disconnect it from the quad. And Gaui just uses bullet connectors and no other style of plastic/rubber shrouded connector. So I've got the battery leads flopping around with bullet connectors on. I realize there is a better way to do business. So that's why I was looking for input on aftermarket connectors. What I wasn't sure of was if the EC3's or other style connectors had to be soldered with their contacts still in. In those cases, it takes a finite amount of heat for very short duration in order to not melt the connector body. That's why I like soldering the contacts first, then inserting into a connector body. I've gone and ordered EC3's, so in a few days, I'll know what I'm dealing with.

Thanks!
Scooter
Scooter could be just how I am reading your post, and I am sure you are doing this but make sure you are removing the battery from the Gaui entirely to charge it, the lipo battery can and do catch on fire if charged incorrectly.

I personally like the deans connector and is easy to solder.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-24.868870,152.335327
Dazzed DJ is offline Find More Posts by Dazzed DJ