SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2003, 12:43 AM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Flying at the Chandler Bowl V2

Well, I'm taking the initiative and starting the V2 thread for the CB.

This is the continuation of the following thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=142921

Let's keep those planes up and stay safe!

Drivie
Drivie is offline Find More Posts by Drivie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2003, 12:55 AM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Cool, it was a bit overdue.

Since the other thread is now obselete, here is my last reply:

Ok, I was surfing RCU and found these two videos. They are huge (60-100 mb), but you will be rolling on the ground laughing after you watch them. Seriously, they are soooo funny! The second one is a bit better.

ftp://bmfk:bmfk@rolf.is-a-geek.com/r...eier_vol_1.mpg

ftp://bmfk:bmfk@rolf.is-a-geek.com/r...f_volume_2.mpg

Pics of the Yak (profile foamie) will come later. I'm still installing servos, pushrods and receiver. After that and getting some various stuff like wheels and collars from the hobby shop, it'll be ready to fly! BTW What connectors do you guys use one your brushless motors and controllers? I was thinking the three-prong Deans.

C'mon Dan, finish your Tribby too, and you'll be hovering in a week! Or better yet, get confident with the Voyager E and hover that!

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:03 AM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
--== Cool, it was a bit overdue. ==--

I know...I decided to take the honors

Since the other thread is now obselete, here is my last reply:

--== Ok, I was surfing RCU and found these two videos. They are huge (60-100 mb), but you will be rolling on the ground laughing after you watch them. Seriously, they are soooo funny! The second one is a bit better. ==--

Downloading them now....

--== Pics of the Yak (profile foamie) will come later. I'm still installing servos, pushrods and receiver. After that and getting some various stuff like wheels and collars from the hobby shop, it'll be ready to fly! ==--

Can't wait to see it...

--== BTW What connectors do you guys use one your brushless motors and controllers? I was thinking the three-prong Deans. ==--

The purists believe you should solder ESC wires to motor wires but it sure isn't very convenient at times. That's why I have used the 3.5mm gold connectors (Jeti uses them) from Aircraft world and I like them pretty well. Here's a link (second and third from the top):
http://www.aircraft-world.com/products.asp?id=30

--== C'mon Dan, finish your Tribby too, and you'll be hovering in a week! Or better yet, get confident with the Voyager E and hover that! ==--

I know, I know...just haven't had the time or energy to get things done lately. I have attempted to hover the heli a couple of times. Pretty fun but the pucker factor was definately elevated...LOL!

Drivie
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:09 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,304 Posts
Just subscribing to the thread. Gotta go to bed now.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:10 AM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
ooooopppppsss...

Man those are some HUGE downloads. The balloon stunt sounds cool. I was in Safford AZ this morning and ran into a nice elderly gentleman who was holding in his hands an older issue of backyard flyer. I commented to him about the magazine and that started a very nice conversation about e planes. He excitedly said he just ordered a wattage twin and another one from I believe Hobby People. He also was coming back from the field in which he just crashed a cadet. Not to bad of damage but it was nice to see. With that, this woman that worked for him saw us talking about rc planes and brought out a local newspaper showing a bunch of the local flyers and planes. This elderly gentleman proudly said he won first prize in a balloon popping contest. It all sounded pretty cool and was the highlight of my day.. I gave him the rcgroups address and told him to do a search for this thread. He also said he comes up this way often and visits some of the LHS’s.

Can’t wait to see the YAK Dan. Which motor are you going to use??

Kenny..

Good job on v2 Dan'o
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:13 AM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Yay! People are finding the new thread...cool!

Hope to heck we can all make it out to the CB again on Sunday. I'm ready to relax and have some fun!

Drivie
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:14 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Yeah, I have stuck to pure ESC to Motor connections, but it is just too inconvenient. Now that I have the heat sink on there, I would have to desolder and resolder the connections every time I took the motor out and put the motor in something. So,, I have succumbed

Definately share any tips you learn while trying to hover the heli. I'm going to get one sooner or later, hopefully sooner, so every little thing helps. Maybe some day we could hover Tributes and helis in formation together

Dan
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:16 AM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SkyPyro
Maybe some day we could hover Tributes and helis in formation together
LOL! One thing I've learned so far is that I believe my VE has the PEK kit installed and the cyclic is very very responsive. I've had a really difficult time keeping it in one place while trying to juggle the rudder too. I dialed in some expo so we'll see how that goes.

Drivie
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:16 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
I'm using the Hacker in the Yak 54. As for the man you met, the more the merrier out there! Man, crashing a Kadet has got to suck. I have one built but not flown, and it is an absolute maze of sticks to build. Putting a warp in there is easy, too.

PS Dan- sent you an email.

Dan
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:21 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Can't you dial the rates down? Or is it not that easy with helis? If you need one of those pitch guages, I saw one at Adventure. Also, something you will see in the first video and I have learned on RunRyder, is that newbies crash the most accidentally going into a direction they haven't learned. So, on top of hovering and forward flight on the sim, also at least try the basics of backwards, inverted, and backwards inverted. That is part of the reason it has been so long between practicing and actually getting a heli for me.

Best of luck,

Dan
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:23 AM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
I can choose different rates as well so I may set them up a bit as well. I need to get the new gyro installed and setup and see if I can figure out how to get the tail setup properly and then set the gyro to HH mode so I can concentrate on trying to hover without worrying about the tail.

In RF, I have, on many occasions, thrown the heli into convulsions on purpose to see if I could recover and get it to do what I want. It has helped but so far I've found that flying the real thing has not been at all like the sim.

Drivie

PS - Replied to your e-mail, Dan
Last edited by Drivie; Oct 10, 2003 at 01:32 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:31 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Wondering about that, usually I get a reply from you in about 2 minutes! Sent it again.

If your gyro came missing something, maybe I could help? I have the instructions, little adjustment tool, etc. Also, Rich could probably help you with the actual gyro setup, I could send you his email if you want.

Dan
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:34 AM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
I have everything with the gyro. I discovered that instead of using a y-harness to connect it to CH5 (along with the RX battery) I can just remove the signal wire from the connector it was in and snap it into the connector for the switch that comes from the Rx battery since it only has the power and ground wires so that will work out well.

I may need some help with the setup.

Drivie
Old Oct 10, 2003, 09:42 AM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Reposting my last post in the old thread..

Dan (skypyro),

Which three pin deans connectors are you thinking about? I have not been able to find any appropriate three pin connectors to connect my brushless motor to my ESC. The only three pin deans I have found have been keyed. I mean that one pin is apced differently than the other two. The idea is to prevent you from connecting the mating pairs backwards. However, I want to be able to connect them backwards. If I plug it in one way and the motor spins the wrong direction, it is simply a matter of turing the connector around and plugging in backwards.

The only thing I have been able to do is use the four pin deans and cut off the offset pin. This works but it is kind of a pain.

Thanks,
Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:37 AM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Jperch,

There are 3-pin Dean's connectors that are not polarized. Astro sells them on their motor/ESC combos and they sell them separately as well.

Here's a link:
http://www.astroflight.com/e/env/000...roducts:af-520

Alternatively, you could purchase some Dean's 4-pin connectors and clip the 4th pin that is the polarized pin so you essentially end up with a 3-pin connector that is non-polarized. EDIT: I see you've already used this option.

Drivie
Last edited by Drivie; Oct 10, 2003 at 11:40 AM.