HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:02 PM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,922 Posts
Discussion
New Great Planes/Electrifly 38.5" Gee Bee RX-R

Well, the brand new GP/Electrifly Gee Bee RX-R arrived on my doorstep today! I was very impressed with Tower Hobbies once again....I ordered this plane on Wednesday and it arrived today! For some reason, although I paid for just standard ground shipping, Tower upgraded my purchase to UPS 2nd Day Air! Thanks, Tower!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBBTA&P=ML

My first initial response was "WOW!" This is the best looking little RX-R plane I have ever seen. Fantastic quality, and astonishing looks (OK, I am a sucker for a Gee Bee ). The paint and decals are very well done, and the strength and overall feel of the plane is excellent. Everything comes out of the box ready to pop together...and when I say "pop," I mean pop! It fits together in a matter of minutes minus installing your RX. Almost everything but the wing is held on with magnets, and they are very secure.

The horizontal stab is held on with magnets using a very clever system. A couple carbon spars go between the stab and a robust carbon triangular tube joins the elevator halves, fitting inside a sleeve on the other side. The halves slide into the fuse and snap in place with magnets -- it is very solid.

The landing gear fit into notches in the wing and snap in tightly. The pants are held on with magnets and can easily be removed to access the wheel and strut inside. They are designed to break away in case of a hard landing.

The cowl is also held on with magnets and is quite ingenious. Instead of having to mess with tiny screws that hardly thread into the foam, the magnets secure the cowl in place easily. And, it makes for a perfect seamless finish.

A+ Great Planes!

More photos to come.
Garret
Garret H is offline Find More Posts by Garret H
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 02:22 PM
Plane and Heli Abuser
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Aug 2010
420 Posts
I agree with Garrett

Mine arrived yesterday as well and I couldn't believe how big the box was. It really is pretty impressive for the price. I hope it flies as good as it looks.....considering the overall size, it feels heavy even without a battery.

Just need a nice warm and calm day to put this thing in the air.
Pilot in MO is online now Find More Posts by Pilot in MO
Old Jan 28, 2012, 02:49 PM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,922 Posts
Yep, I agree....that box is huge! When I opened it up, I didn't expect what I saw....a little, stubby plane floating inside a giant box!

Even though it has a 40" wingspan, it just doesn't look that big because of how short the fuse is....the apparent size is deceiving.

Garret
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2012, 02:53 PM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,922 Posts
Here's some more photos. I got it pretty much all finished up this morning. Flying wires are in place, RX is in, and battery is attached. I just need to set the throws and she'll be ready!

There's just something about this model that makes it stand out....or, maybe it is just because of the fact that I love these planes. The combination of color and the shape just makes it unique.

Garret
Site Sponsor