SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
Most importantly pick the colors you like, the full sized boat you posted looked pretty nice to me (maybe even some left over paint?), to me the model on the box is a bit bland (but it is patriotic and if you intend to display it with the box art it would be cool) Maybe black hull and creme cabin? Green hull and cream? If you go to Home Depot or Lowes they have pre-made color swatches with different combinations and accent colors, plenty of ideas.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:21 AM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
I do have left over paint from some full size boats like the tan wesmac, thats the paint I used on my lobsterboat, for models I basically stick to rustoleum because there is no need for mixing. The paint we use has 3-4 parts and I'm still learning about the mix ration ect. (I dont paint, I sand and fill and everything inbetween)
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
(I dont paint, I sand and fill and everything inbetween)

Ha ha, that is the part that actually makes the paint job look good!
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:02 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,102 Posts
Kyle, paint it whatever color you want using any paint you want. It's all up to you and what YOU think is right for it.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:21 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
Tourmaster aft roof

Kyle,

I hope you haven't glued the roof to the aft deckhouse yet. The reality is, it really needs to flow on the same line as the deck and the sheer line of the bulwark caps. This is one of those things you may have to steam to get the correct fit. Granted you will be making vertical brass stantions for that roof to support it but a slight bend will make it eaiser to locate as well as allowing the pilothouse and aft Deckhouse to fit square on the opening to the inside.

Just something to keep in mind.
Rich
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:59 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
That will be one of the last things I will do. Like you said I'm going to steam it to get it to bend and after that epoxy it so it will always keep its shape. I have been planking the hull but this project is going on hold (as expected) because I got the parts in for the bass boat to continue building.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:11 PM
vancouver,B.C
Joined Apr 2008
349 Posts
It looks like a nice little boat. It definately needs some details to dress it up.
It looks a little plain on the box cover. Have fun.
Willj is offline Find More Posts by Willj
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:06 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
874 Posts
Nice work so far. Enjoy!
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Nov 2010
214 Posts
Hi all. I've been looking for this kit for while, anyone know of another kit. Would you be intersted in selling the plans after you finish or making copies of them? Thanks. Cpl.Fuzz
CPL.FUZZ is offline Find More Posts by CPL.FUZZ
Old Feb 06, 2012, 01:31 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Just about all of the Laughing Whale/Midwest kits are so easy to build, that all you need is a set of the drawings---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:33 AM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
yup, basically kap
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Nov 2004
240 Posts
This is how I finished my Harbor Master. This was the first rc boat I built. I planked the floor with bass wood and also planked the sides of the cabin. Just wanted to give you some inspiration.
bluezephyr is offline Find More Posts by bluezephyr
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:51 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
that looks great! I have a harbor master kit I plan on building and if you dont mind I would really like to incorporate a few details from your build into mine.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Nov 2004
240 Posts
That would great. I will keep in touch for any help you may need.
bluezephyr is offline Find More Posts by bluezephyr
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:06 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
ok, thanks. If you can post a few pics of the boat, inside and out. That would be a big help, even with this build.