HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Discussion
Question for owners of multiple FMS 1400 models

Greetings!
I'm very interested in the 1400mm FMS birds but was curious to know from those of you that have experience with more than one of these models:

As newer models have been released, have you seen a trend toward better flight characteristics? Have they been improving things i.e. out-of-the-box ready to rock?

I know many folks enjoy tweaking (mods) to make things the way they like them, but MY interest is in trying to get a feel for whether or not people think these planes are REQUIRING less tweaking (as new ones have been introduced) to get them to "fly right". A part of my motivation here is noticing that you can get a pretty good deal on, say, the P-51s or P-40s right now, but I'm wondering if that will require more fiddling than if I went with a more recent model like the A6M3; or just waited on the FW-190 or ME-109 for that matter!!!

I really like the vibe I get from FMS as they seem very responsive to customer feedback on their products; just looking for opinions from folks as to how FMS has been doing when they've rolled out subsequent models.

Thanks for your input!
BadClams is offline Find More Posts by BadClams
Last edited by BadClams; Jan 27, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Bueller?
BadClams is offline Find More Posts by BadClams
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:47 PM
fvi
Canada, ON
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
Hey there,

I have a P-51 blue nose v.6 (Airfield brand from Nitroplanes). Although I'm not sure it flies any better than older versions it's got some extra features like retractable tail wheel and a new more realistic looking 4 bladed prop. Apparently there's a newer version that comes with flaps already and that's always a plus. I fly completely stock and always liked it, no bad tendencies and looks freaking beautiful in the air.

I think all of them are great flyers, the reviews here are always positive. Only the electronics seem to be an issue on occasion but it appears that they're getting better. Still, a lot of people here buy the kits and install their own. Installing external BEC's seem popular too.

I think the upcoming axis birds will be even better. Beltpilot did a superb job working with them to ensure everything is right and looking good. Everyone's is pretty hyped.

Hope this answers some questions.

Cheers
fvi is offline Find More Posts by fvi
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:00 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I've flown the P-51, Corsair, and the Zero. They all fly well. But I think the Zero would be a great one to start with. It's the easiest to land in my opinion. It probably has lighter wing loading.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:18 PM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2007
1,121 Posts
The Stuka is a great bird also
eli5539 is offline Find More Posts by eli5539
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:22 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
I've flown the P-51, Corsair, and the Zero. They all fly well. But I think the Zero would be a great one to start with. It's the easiest to land in my opinion. It probably has lighter wing loading.
+1 on the easy to land.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:56 PM
USA, NJ, Red Bank
Joined Sep 2010
227 Posts
For the sales that Nitroplanes runs on the airplanes that have been around awhile....P-51, P-47, P-40.....RTF or ARF...They can't be beat. The P-47 and P-51 are outstanding and I've never had a problem with any of these airplanes after a ton of flights....airframes or systems. Maybe just the retracts being a little fussy. I fly them bone stock RTF too and have only had trouble with the T-28's ESC being overloaded with a dozen servos. You can always modify them for detail and rigidity to your liking......Can't wait for the 190.......Steve
eggsplurt is offline Find More Posts by eggsplurt
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:47 AM
Taupo, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2004
61 Posts
I have the Zero and fly it stock standard and love it. I have maidened for people the Corsair, Stuka, P51 (latest version) and the Trojan. In my opinion these ones all go great.
paulrm is offline Find More Posts by paulrm
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:29 AM
Captain Kangaroo
Australia, QLD, Headington Hill
Joined May 2009
459 Posts
I now have quite a few of the 1400`s .
The only problem I have had was with one of the very early P-40`s.
Mechanical retracts and esc.
Since then I feel that their production has improved.
I recently completed their new P-38 Lightning and found it to be a delightful airframe
considering the complexity. It flies completely stock with great success !!

Ray.
raybaines is offline Find More Posts by raybaines