HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
Chris here are some pics hope they help, I use a HITEC HS-311 and a HS-755HB for the sailarm, also I use 1/4" buy 1/2" basswood to make mounts for the servo tray and the sail servo,and light plywood for the servo tray. My first A3 kit was a learning curve, I'VE built 3 A3 sencs then, working on a foot and wildcat now. I didn't think this hobby could be so much fun, I was wrong. I have power boats and found that sailboat are much easier and cheeper to dill with. Good luck .Mike
m.g. is offline Find More Posts by m.g.
Last edited by m.g.; Jul 02, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:43 PM
benndave
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2007
80 Posts
Hi Corey, long time quiet, are you making any progress? I started and did the keel and rudder now. Still working on the hull. I filled the bulb with a funnel cut from a cupcake package. I also made an aluminum "T" for the bolt and glassed the spar. I soldered brass for a solid rudder shaft to the bottom, and a skeg to not spin inside. The rudder is skinny, but I got it filled with epoxy and capped with polystyrene.
benndave is offline Find More Posts by benndave
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:57 AM
benndave
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2007
80 Posts
For the raked transon fans, the framing. I couldn't resist building the mid section like a tank.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
Benndave how did you get the wood to form to the hull in the mid section? And what kind of wood did you use?Thanks Mike
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:57 PM
benndave
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2007
80 Posts
Gluing plywood to hull

Hi Mike,
1/64 birch plywood is thin and bends easily. Align the grain fore and aft to make it easier. Make cardboard patterns and cut the plywood out with sharp scissors. The two holes are for monitoring the glue amount under the wood. Roughen the hull under the wood with course sandpaper, sqeegie slow epoxy onto the hull and back of wood, slip the wood into the hull keeping the top pulled out. Pour epoxy (20ml?) between wood and hull. Test fit the top into hull, pulling it out to add glue until glue is up to the holes. Clothspin the top into place and as the glue settles in, top it up through the holes to keep it full. You are done watching it when the glue can't be worked anymore ( hour). Let it set overnight and do the other side the next day. You can now add gussets to brace the keel box as you like. The plywood bends flat like a soup can, the hull is round, but also curves in to the bow and stern, causing a void under the wood to fill up. There will be no hull flexing when sailing, but it does add some weight. I prefer the weight to seeing something separating from the hull later.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:11 PM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
It's been a busy summer. I've been out of town for 4 of the last five weeks. Life should be slowing down a bit now, so I should be able to get some more accomplished. I like seeing the things others have done.
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:52 AM
benndave
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2007
80 Posts
Nice to see you back Cory. Glad you like to see what others are doing, I am very interested to see how your boat is progressing. Any new pic's? This shows how far I am, what you see weighs in at 6lbs 6.6oz. For a mast I made one out of Easton Gamegetter aluminum arrows.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:34 AM
benndave
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2007
80 Posts
That picture with the droopy keel bulb had me worried. So I put all the major components in, wrapped it in a dry cleaner bag, and headed to the pond. The plane of the bulb ended up being fairly close. Now if I can just fix the dimply bow from trying to repair it. The bow was split from top to bottom as recieved in the kit.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
Hay Cory how did the A3 come out?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:46 AM
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
Not much progress. It won't get into the water before spring. You think I'm a slow builder, you should see how slow I DS!
Old May 04, 2013, 12:47 PM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined May 2013
12 Posts
Hi!

I was happy to find this thread since I started the work on my America3 from Victor models a few weeks ago. I almost finished the hull by now, waiting for my epoxy paint to arrive.

I 'd like to ask a question (and possibly more in future since this is my first sailboat). The plan says to seal the wooden parts by a sanding sealer. I'd like to know how important this is - I was planning on using epoxy primer on the bare wood and then apply one (or more) coats of epoxy paint (I will use klass kote).

Thanks,
--
David
andrsd is offline Find More Posts by andrsd
Old May 04, 2013, 06:53 PM
A wing and a prayer
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Buy this victory and build one for yourself
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1885932
keok is offline Find More Posts by keok
Old May 04, 2013, 06:59 PM
benndave
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2007
80 Posts
Hi David,
Water and wood are not a good mix as the wood will swell up and warp. For sealing wooden parts on the inside, I use Spar Varnish, leaving the wood a naturel color. I'm getting a feeling that you mean to paint a mast or booms, or other outside wood part a white color. Your epoxy paint will work just fine to seal out water. Epoxy is very good against water.
Welcome to sailing, and feel free to ask about anything you are not sure of. There is a lot of knowledge on this site, and people that are happy to share their ideas to help out. How about a picture of your boat, we would love to see it, and what you have done.
I wonder how Cory is making out with his boat?
Old May 04, 2013, 09:11 PM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined May 2013
12 Posts
Yes, I was refering to the outside parts: the keel fin and the mast and spars. I now realize that I should have waterproof the inside wooden parts too. The plan does not say that, but it is logical. Since I have glued the top deck already, I will be able to seal whatever is accessible via the hatch.

While on the subject of painting. I saw a lot of pictures where the sails have numbers or colors on them and was wondering how to do it. My sails are made from dacron so I searched the web quite some for painting dacron and found basically two solutions: a) paint it with some paint, but a lot of people said it is not a good way to go, b) dye the dacron while it is being manufactured (not really an option for me). I do not really need the sails on this boat painted, but I am curious...

Regarding the pictures, I am leaving for a business trip tomorrow, but I hope to have some when I get back...
andrsd is offline Find More Posts by andrsd
Old May 04, 2013, 10:56 PM
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benndave View Post
I wonder how Cory is making out with his boat?
Darned thing is getting heavy. Just sitting there.

All the dust build up is weighing it down. I haven't done anything to it since last summer. Hangs head in shame.

I'm a very slow builder. I haven't had much time to work on my hobbies. Fortunately, as of a few weeks ago, I am no longer a Scoutmaster and should have a bit more time than I used to have. I really want to get this thing in the water with my daughters this summer.

As far as waterproofing, I'm using West Systems epoxy to waterproof all wood. If it's good enough for real, people carrying boats, it will work well for this. Of course, spar varnish is designed for the same use so both products should be fine.