HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Question
Devo 6, 7 or 8. What one is better?

Looks like I might be upgrading to a Devo TX, but I'm not sure what is the better one to get. I'm using the 2801pro right now, and I feel it's easy to navigate through the menus, and keep hearing how tough it is to figure out the Devo. I know a lot of you are now using them, so what do you guys think is the better one to get? What are the pros and cons? Do any of them take a Lipo battery like the 2801, or is it back to buying AA's?
Thanks for your input!
RM3Studios is offline Find More Posts by RM3Studios
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:42 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
The Devo 7 uses almost the same case as the 2801 pro but is much harder to program and use. Its screen has only 2 rows of characters. Moreover, its firmware is not upgradable online as in the case of the Devo 6 and Devo 8. The Devo 7 takes a 8 cell battery whereas the Devo 6 and 8 takes a 4 cell. You can use Lipos on all transmitters.

The Devo 8 is a full size transmitter that has more switches and is thought to have a longer range than the Devo 6 (Something like 2000m vs 800m). But 800m is sufficient even for large helicopters. Otherwise the interface is the same for the Devo 6 and Devo 8.

What is not clear at the moment is telemetry. Apparently, the Devo 6 can get telemetry data from the new Mini CP within 15 meters using the most recent firmware. It is not clear whether this can be done with the Devo 8, although a telemetry module is available for the transmitter for less than $20 and that should have a full range.

I would recommend you choose between the Devo 6 and Devo 8.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:03 PM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,567 Posts
Whats up Rm I'm waiting on the Dev08S. Already upgraded plus might get the mini cp or v200d03 next month. No telling how long you will have to wait on the module.
vronny is offline Find More Posts by vronny
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Apr 2010
844 Posts
I was on the fence on spending the extra dough on the devo8 and so far I'm pretty happy with it. The stick feel is good, layout is good, menus are great, balance is spot on. On the downside the screen is hard to read outdoors and the batterylife is short. It has a battery jack internally so you can run a lipo if you want to (although I am not a fan of lipos in a tx)

The devo 6 has same type of menu layout but the tx box is small-- I like a standard size box.

The tx is your physical interface to the heli so getting one that feels right goes a long way for an enjoyable experience.

Chief
BHChieftain is online now Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Apr 2011
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
The Devo 7 uses almost the same case as the 2801 pro but is much harder to program and use. Its screen has only 2 rows of characters. Moreover, its firmware is not upgradable online as in the case of the Devo 6 and Devo 8.
Zadaw I am still waiting for mine to arrive (GCP with Devo 7), but looking a the downloaded manual, (page 78) the Devo 7 does have upgradable firmware.

A lot of work has been done on programming the Devil 7 and most of it posted on the forums (thank you to those who have) The pioneers always make it easier for followers like me, so I believe most of the issues with the Devil 7 have been made easier. I don't need graphs (If I did need one, I can create something on a spreadsheet that looks even better than the Devo 8 screen and can even cobine the pitch and throttle curves on a single graph). It is for these reasons I consider the extra cost for the Devo 8 ot worth it, and the small size of the Devo 6 put me off that one.
PaulsBA is offline Find More Posts by PaulsBA
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:00 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM3Studios View Post
Looks like I might be upgrading to a Devo TX, but I'm not sure what is the better one to get. I'm using the 2801pro right now, and I feel it's easy to navigate through the menus, and keep hearing how tough it is to figure out the Devo. I know a lot of you are now using them, so what do you guys think is the better one to get? What are the pros and cons? Do any of them take a Lipo battery like the 2801, or is it back to buying AA's?
Thanks for your input!
I love my Devo 6 (with 6s firmware update) and I am using the telemetry data with a mini cp...to my surprise I actually find it useful and not just a gimmick.

However, if I were in the market for a new radio now I'd give a very close look at the Devo 8s as it is a very sexy radio for the money (rtf combo package). I would look past the Devo 7 if you plan on flying more than one heli with the radio...e.g. if you just want a super cheap rtf package and will never buy another heli then the 7 might be a good choice. But don't blame me if you end up pulling your hair out trying to program it.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Apr 2010
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
I love my Devo 6 (with 6s firmware update) and I am using the telemetry data with a mini cp...to my surprise I actually find it useful and not just a gimmick.

However, if I were in the market for a new radio now I'd give a very close look at the Devo 8s as it is a very sexy radio for the money (rtf combo package). I would look past the Devo 7 if you plan on flying more than one heli with the radio...e.g. if you just want a super cheap rtf package and will never buy another heli then the 7 might be a good choice. But don't blame me if you end up pulling your hair out trying to program it.
I only fly 1 walkera heli and thought that devo7 would be fine as I would set it up once and leave it alone. But even with the 1 heli, I find myself constantly tweaking and adjusting things...

Chief
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:28 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsBA View Post
Zadaw I am still waiting for mine to arrive (GCP with Devo 7), but looking a the downloaded manual, (page 78) the Devo 7 does have upgradable firmware.

A lot of work has been done on programming the Devil 7 and most of it posted on the forums (thank you to those who have) The pioneers always make it easier for followers like me, so I believe most of the issues with the Devil 7 have been made easier. I don't need graphs (If I did need one, I can create something on a spreadsheet that looks even better than the Devo 8 screen and can even cobine the pitch and throttle curves on a single graph). It is for these reasons I consider the extra cost for the Devo 8 ot worth it, and the small size of the Devo 6 put me off that one.
It is true that it is stated in the manual, but it is a mystery as there seems to be no port available for this. But anyway, it is very good value as it is almost a giveaway.

Since I have two 2801 pros already, I would probably choose the Devo 6 should I upgrade. I use my 2801 to fly my 450 and am not likely to fly anything bigger. Nor am I likely to use it to fly planes or gliders that require a longer range.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined May 2011
656 Posts
Quote:
It is true that it is stated in the manual, but it is a mystery as there seems to be no port available for this.
According to the manual it is done throw the trainer port using a so called USB-02 cable, wich is not out yet, and so far the upgrading tool doesn't support it either...
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:59 AM
Spring Hill, TN
Joined Nov 2005
93 Posts
I like my devo 8. I want to upgrade to the 8s, but I do not where to the module. What lipos work with the devo 8?

thanks,

John
Manny5150 is offline Find More Posts by Manny5150
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:06 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Quote:
The Devo 8 is a full size transmitter that has more switches and is thought to have a longer range than the Devo 6 (Something like 2000m vs 800m). But 800m is sufficient even for large helicopters. Otherwise the interface is the same for the Devo 6 and Devo 8.

Does anyone know for sure Devo 8 has longer range than Devo 6. They both put out the same power. Just the antenna is different. Has somebody range tested it.
benmlee is offline Find More Posts by benmlee
Old Jan 27, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
Whats up Rm I'm waiting on the Dev08S. Already upgraded plus might get the mini cp or v200d03 next month. No telling how long you will have to wait on the module.
Hey vronny! I'm trying to sell off my V100D03BL, my M120D01 and my Xtreme build V120D02 with spare parts for all of them and my 2801pro TX. Might be moving and space could be limited, so I'm sticking with the Genius and want to pick up the Mini CP when it comes out. Since I got the Genius it's all I use. Fits my flying area better. I'll have to buy another Genius that will be compatible with the Devo system, then sell the RX from mine and use it for parts. Tough to get rid of the stuff though. Everyone wants to give you $100 for a $350 package Everything (including the 2801, and parts) on my Xtreme heli lot is over $800 (not sure what I'm going to ask for it yet). I'm sure I'll get offers of $100 for that too though hahaha
What are you flying the most these days?

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Apr 2010
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmlee View Post
Does anyone know for sure Devo 8 has longer range than Devo 6. They both put out the same power. Just the antenna is different. Has somebody range tested it.
What's the biggest heli you are planning to fly with the Devo 6? For Genius or V120 size, you'll never be able to fly it out of range--you won't be able to see the heli before you lose the signal...

Chief
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Looking around more and noticed they are putting a "S" after the Devo 6 & 8 on some of them. What is the difference between the "S" and the standard Devo 6 or 8? It looks like the 6 is just as good as the 8 just smaller, right?

Also on the Devo 6, I don't see the TH or ST1 ST2 switches that are usually on the top of the TX. Does it still have them?
Last edited by RM3Studios; Jan 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:19 PM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM3Studios View Post
Hey vronny! I'm trying to sell off my V100D03BL, my M120D01 and my Xtreme build V120D02 with spare parts for all of them and my 2801pro TX. Might be moving and space could be limited, so I'm sticking with the Genius and want to pick up the Mini CP when it comes out. Since I got the Genius it's all I use. Fits my flying area better. I'll have to buy another Genius that will be compatible with the Devo system, then sell the RX from mine and use it for parts. Tough to get rid of the stuff though. Everyone wants to give you $100 for a $350 package Everything (including the 2801, and parts) on my Xtreme heli lot is over $800 (not sure what I'm going to ask for it yet). I'm sure I'll get offers of $100 for that too though hahaha
What are you flying the most these days?

Thanks for all the input guys!
Rm where have you been. I mostly fly my 2 D02S one with the 215 with stock pinion & one stock. Both have CF tail fins & 30mm CF tail blades. Getting ready to go to Wow now.
vronny is offline Find More Posts by vronny