HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:06 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
563 Posts
I guess I misunderstood. I didn't know that you had lifted the D200 already. If your question is about the DJI frame itself, I have no doubt that the frame will handle the weight. It is very rigid.
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined May 2005
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Hudson View Post
I guess I misunderstood. I didn't know that you had lifted the D200 already. If your question is about the DJI frame itself, I have no doubt that the frame will handle the weight. It is very rigid.
That`s okay

I have taken many photos with the D200 in the air.
But you are totally correct that is to heavy, so when I manage to find a solution for the NEX5 i will use that for photo also.

But the main question was if the DJI frame can lift 3-4kg if needed (worst case) .
My usually lift weight will be around 2-3kg included the nex5n.

But I guess I will find out.
Today I did order the 550 frame :-)
liteglow is offline Find More Posts by liteglow
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:45 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteglow View Post
Motors I did use was RC-timers, but to much vibration so I have replaced them with iPower motors.
I am running their newer version of motor that does not have protruding motor shafts. It comes with the bolt on prop mount base. Much smoother. I'd suspect on the motor most vibration are coming from both the long shaft and the crappy prop collets.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:14 PM
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Apr 2003
300 Posts
Steph280 wonder when Align will start making these multi-rotors?
Laddy McMurry is offline Find More Posts by Laddy McMurry
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:39 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
I certainly hope they will. They have the capabilities so it certainly makes sense.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:46 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
align really does not do electronics or firmware. they are great at injection molding and manufacturing though. If Align does jump into this market, I would guess that they will use existing controller via OEM. would be interesting.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:22 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
They have a team dedicated to flight stabilization system R&D. They demoed their heli GPS stabilization system during last year's fun fly. It actually has functional position hold and come home feature. It shouldn't be difficult to implement a multicopter version. But I think their emphasis is still competition helicopters.

Askman how are the gimbals coming along? Got those servos yet?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:45 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I did not realize align already had Heli GPS. Then they are probably waiting for the market to develop a bit and become mainstream.

Gary has the gimbals and he is waiting for the servos before releasing them. he is also doing some final tuning and packaging. as well as instruction. I am taking feedbacks from testers on improvement that could be made. most of the suggestion has been regarding aesthetics like using button head screws. we will take all suggestions from buyers as well. I've also started building second lot of gimbals. I am sure initial lot will go fairly quick once gary and robert put them up. biggest bottleneck is going to be availability of certain parts initially until I can gauge and keep adequate supplies on hand.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:51 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
well, this is proto of bolt on pan unit. I did not have correct length shoulder bolt for main shaft, so I have to order them. otherwise, it is almost ready to mount. It will add 1.5" to the height. otherwise, it is pretty simple and very smooth. multiple bearing makes for slop free pan. when I get the new shaft, I will send them out for testing.

I am also doing a polecam adapter for these gimbals as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:54 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Everytime I talk myself into waiting on the gimbal, someone posts in this thread and I turn into a 12 year old girl at a Justin Beiber concert...
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:11 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
Askman, I haven't seen one of Gary's in person yet so I am not familiar with how it attaches to the DJI copters. Any issue to mount these under the Mikrokopter battery mounting cage? There are 9 bolts which can be used to mount.
http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/LiPo-Holder
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
if I can get a dimension of the mounting holes. it would be easy to make a adapter plate for MK

basically, it will attach to the DJI frame using spacer in existing slot. both pan and none pan shares same dimension. (about 2.4x3.8" dimension I believe) it is very easily adaptable though. I am really taking advantage of the modular concept. I really like this sized multi, and as technology improves, it will become even more capable.

Even the gimbal while designed for nex5 series, gh2 will fit just as well. I left lot of meat on the back of the tilt plate where you can drill mounting holes to fit most camera with stock lens and have it balance. Still, most of our optimization has been done with pancake lens, so you may need to do some tuning with other lens for max performance. In the future, I may even have some alternate pulley combo available for further tuning.

lot of ideas.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:38 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
Here are the dimensions in case you are considering making them compatible with Mikrokopter. I'd definitely buy one!

Thanks!
Last edited by Steph280; Feb 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Added a couple example photos or MK's mount
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:21 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
thanks. that should give me enough information to make a new plate. should be easy to make. I am assuming the holes are 3mm as is the standoff thread . have to figure out best way to do this that will be the lightest..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:46 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,135 Posts
Yes, this should be fairly easy. I'll let you know when Andrey sends me the adapter, and we can meet up. I have a setup set aside for you now.

We are also looking to do adapters for CineStar and DroidWorx platforms, for the new full-sized DSLR gimbal that is on the "to-do" list. There will be 2-axis and 3-axis versions, the latter using the new setup shown above.

I should have servos tomorrow, or Friday, so the plan is to be able to start shipping then. For the NEX/GH2 gimbals, we are making a last minute change to the plate on the camera tray, to make it wider. This will allow better support for using the standard 18-55 kit lens with the NEX-5N/7, in addition to the shorter "pancake" lens. It allows the camera body to sit farther back in the yoke, so that everything balances. Originally the plan was to only allow use with the pancake lens, mainly because we were concerned about weight. This was because we were using the DH16 "mini"-size servo. After initial testing, we decided to go to the full size DH20x-GCD for both tilt and roll, so the extra weight/mass of the 18-55 kit lens is no longer an issue.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Closed Thread