HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 10, 2012, 11:38 AM
Private Pilot
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Jul 2009
1,273 Posts
I will go with the 10" graupners and a 5800 4s pack then. Thanks Gary.
Twister773 is online now Find More Posts by Twister773
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 06:42 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Whelp, got my gimbal today. I didn't mess with it though as I put the tppack legs on my quad and tried out a jakub gimbal i got from another forum member. Not having good luck with that gimbal either. I'll probably go down to the isolation mount I got from you guys. I also got my gps calibrated on the f550. man that thing is solid in gusty winds, pretty impressive. I need to wait until my graupners get back in stock. they we me two and I need to buy 2 more. Otherwise your guy's gear looks very nice, so far so good...
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old May 10, 2012, 09:37 PM
Private Pilot
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Jul 2009
1,273 Posts
What about 2 3000mah 4s packs in parallel...5800 is out of stock in the us wharehouse.
Twister773 is online now Find More Posts by Twister773
Old May 10, 2012, 11:19 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I run 4S4400, and you could goto 5000 pack. you will be lighter than gary, so even 5000 will give you at least 10min flight time.

well, I love my 450 and simple iso mount. it just work well. I will be using it for my FPV setup as well. still debating whether to use gopro output or separate fpv camera. I will probabl use separate one as I am learning.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 11:36 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
hey gary or askman.... have you guys actually tuned to the Naze32 for the gimbal.

it is a little more to wade though than i have time for at the moment.

i can use the multiwii config with no issues, but how do I change the gain and travel limits?

I am sure i can find it in the FF user thread....
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 10, 2012, 11:50 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
lol. you have to use CLi to do all that. you cannot use wiiconf command line interface. you need to download putty and use that via serial

sigh. it is not super intuitive. you need to read the manual section on CLi as well as first post on the TC's blog about naze32. once you have putty talking to naze32, you use set command to change gain, rate, etc. why we are thinking of offering setup that is preconfigured.

looks like first cut of kalman filtering is getting close for naze32. that should fix our issue with acc jitter.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 11:57 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
i did notice that the ACCs are super sensitive.... the lines on the graph are moving way faster than any multiwii i have ever seen.

okay.... i was afraid of that, in regards to the putty interface for setting up the gimbal....

perhaps if you guys have one dialed in you or gary could share the settings.....
Old May 11, 2012, 12:52 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
well, we got almost usable with lpf_factor setting of 64, but it felt like it was delayed.

gary did most of this work, but changing setting is easy.

connect using putty. (basically a serial terminal emulation )

# to get in
then use "set" to get list of the commands available. and change those settings. not really well documented though LOL. most of the settings are pretty easy to figure out though. I did get it flying, and acc lvling was no very good. rate mode was pretty nice though not really any better than anything I've tried. I've tried heading hold and it seems ok. alt hold was within 10' type. overall, not terrible, but kalman/AHRS implementation should make it shine. . just hoping it gets done this weekend. (looks like base code has been given to TC to debug)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 12:55 AM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
nice.....

I dont need it as a flight controller (i dont think.... )

just a gimbal controller

thanks for the help ill play around with it and not try and break it
Old May 11, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
I have been following this thread for a while now. Some great information here. I am myself using a Hoverfly Platform & (after long tests) the new Panasonic Camcorder, since it handles roll quite good and is VERY light. (400g) - I need a super-portable-platform, thats why I do without the Sony + BOSS.

Anyways I am quite interested in this Naze32 gimbal thing. Does it require lots of knowledge for setup or is it possible for a non-programmer to set up for a custom built gimbal? When will it be ready (without the mentioned glitches for accelerometers) and where can I buy it (setup for a gimbal control?). Does it mount below the camera?

Thanks a lot!
ed.ge is offline Find More Posts by ed.ge
Old May 11, 2012, 02:41 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed.ge View Post
I have been following this thread for a while now. Some great information here. I am myself using a Hoverfly Platform & (after long tests) the new Panasonic Camcorder, since it handles roll quite good and is VERY light. (400g) - I need a super-portable-platform, thats why I do without the Sony + BOSS.

Anyways I am quite interested in this Naze32 gimbal thing. Does it require lots of knowledge for setup or is it possible for a non-programmer to set up for a custom built gimbal? When will it be ready (without the mentioned glitches for accelerometers) and where can I buy it (setup for a gimbal control?). Does it mount below the camera?

Thanks a lot!
Right now we simply use the Command Line Interpreter, built into the firmware, with a free terminal program. I use one called Hercules. The board already has a built-in mini-USB connector, so it is really easy to connect to the PC. Then you just send it commands to set the servo output rate, the endpoint travel limits, the gains and then tell it to go into the gimbal mode. With the new totally re-written Kalman-filter - based software, which is being debugged this weekend, I'm assuming the commands will be similar. In any case, the ones that we will offer on the site will come preset with everything required. Eventually we'll have a simple PC app for adjusting the gains, etc., but the CLI method is super simple.

The board itself will mount on the gimbal mounting plate/battery tray via some standoffs and rubber isolators (see attached...)

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old May 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, TX, El Paso
Joined Apr 2012
527 Posts
Gary
Little confused. My AG550 will be arriving soon. Tony did the set up. Will I need to eventually purchase this new board you are working on? How is my Gimble being controlled now, im assuming thru the Wookong. It sounds like your Gimble controller will give better control to the Gimble. Am I correct?
Jeffem62 is offline Find More Posts by Jeffem62
Old May 11, 2012, 03:00 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,162 Posts
Servos are finally back in stock, so I'm finally going to ship all the orders today that have been stacking up. Included with all will be one of the new Servo Power Adapters. I will add these to my site next week, when I receive my order from HobbyKing for a bunch of the male-to-male servo leads. I also ordered a bunch of 6V BECs, which I will also start making available on the site.

I made a lot of progress, finally, on my new AG500 "crab" quad. I'll post some pics later today.

We are doing adapter plates for a variety of platforms now, beyond the F550. So far we have adapters for Rusty's frames, the mk battery tray, Tony's CarbonCore setups and DroidWorx. Still in work are adapters for the XA hex and X4/8 setups, the CineStar platforms and the S800. For the larger platforms, we will also have a new beefier gimbal that is sized for a full DSLR, like a 5D/7D. As an option to this will be the new camcorder-compatible yoke that i'm using right now for the HDR-PJ710V on my F550 setup.

The full DSLR mount will primarily be for the larger platforms, like the DW, CS and S800 setups, and will not come with the F550-style landing gear, as each of these platforms have LG solutions already. Initially, these will be 2-axis, but all will be upgradeable to full 3-axis gimbals.

More later...

-- Gary
Old May 11, 2012, 03:10 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffem62 View Post
Gary
Little confused. My AG550 will be arriving soon. Tony did the set up. Will I need to eventually purchase this new board you are working on? How is my Gimble being controlled now, im assuming thru the Wookong. It sounds like your Gimble controller will give better control to the Gimble. Am I correct?
I assume Tony is setting yours up to use the WK-M's gimbal outputs, which have issues, as I've already pointed out. What it will primarily affect is the max angle the servos can move. As long as you don't throw it around the sky too much, this will be okay. The question will be how bad the twitching is, with the GPS locked on. You might be okay. Worst case is if you are doing video work is that you unplug the GPS.

As soon as the new firmware in the Naze32 board has been checked out,I will order a quantity of these boards from TC, and make them available on the site, pre-configured to work as a gimbal controller. These will not be super expensive. Depending on the exchange rate when I order them, it should be around $65-$70 dollars, with maybe a bit more for the installation kit (standoffs, screws, rubber isolators, servo leads, etc...).

-- Gary
Old May 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
well. woodburn highschool behind my house caught fire today. except I missed most of it lol. (was out running errands) just my luck. still going on when I got back. .did a quick video. will post it later. it was 4 alarm blaze, but no one was hurt. they were doing mop up when I got home. kids were checking to see if hand sanitizer would catch fire. sheesh. (that stuff is gelled alcohol)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; May 11, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Closed Thread