HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 06, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Mar 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
See attached. These are the GoPro yoke, the existing yoke that fits a 550D/600D or a GH1/2, and the new NEX-5N/7 and GF3/5 yoke.

-- Gary
I do not see a big difference in the two big jokes except the one in the middle is a bit wider. Why should I not just choose the widest joke for my G1X?
Could the Nex5 or other smaller cameras not fit in the widest joke?
Claus.
clausjepsen is offline Find More Posts by clausjepsen
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 02:12 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
yes, you can us the biggest one for g1x. and of course, nex5 will fit the widest yoke. if you want to save some weight, you can go with one that just fits. it is just personal preference. I designed the nex5/GF3 version to save weight for the lighter setup. (ie, DJI450 and the crab)
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 02:13 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
mine is the widest... (right?)
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 06, 2012, 08:10 AM
Australia, New South Wales, St Leonards
Joined Aug 2009
368 Posts
Hi, Gary/Askman
Can you make adapter to use on DJI S800, if this gimbal is the Zenmouse killer, I like to use it on my S800 and F550, if you have look at their online manual, they use 2x12mm tube about 150mm apart
piccoloflyer is offline Find More Posts by piccoloflyer
Old May 06, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Jun 2011
82 Posts
So has there been a presedence set between using the Naze32 or the FC1212/AHRS V1 as a stand alone gimbal controller? I beleive the Naze32 you all were waiting for TC to work out the twitching issue and the FC1212/AHRS V1 you were going to see if an older version of the firmware resolved it's issues?

Thanks,
Sean
sreney is offline Find More Posts by sreney
Old May 06, 2012, 09:43 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
actually on FC1212/AHRS v1. gary flashed to latest firmware and it works fine. on Naze, we are waiting on kalman filter implementation that is going on. on S800, I need to look at the manual. basically need to use the existing mounting hole that I can use to mount the isolation system.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 11:29 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreney View Post
So has there been a presedence set between using the Naze32 or the FC1212/AHRS V1 as a stand alone gimbal controller? I beleive the Naze32 you all were waiting for TC to work out the twitching issue and the FC1212/AHRS V1 you were going to see if an older version of the firmware resolved it's issues?

Thanks,
Sean
I'm using both a XA V1 FC1212S/AHRS-S, with v1.33/v1.23 firmware, and v2 FC1212-P/AHRS-V2 with the latest firmware in both, and the v1.8 version of Xaircraft Center PC app. The latter has the gain control implemented via a slider control that ranges from 0-100. It would be better if there was a bit more granularity in the control because for most setups, to get the gains dialed in perfectly, the gain values need to be in between whole numbers. The Naze32 controls let you get the gains dialed in perfectly, but until they get the Kalman filter implemented for the acc. data, it has the twitching problem.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old May 07, 2012, 01:55 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,028 Posts
Here's another video I did today, at my Mother's house:

AG550-PJ 2-Axis PJ710V Gimbal Test-05.mov (4 min 30 sec)

This is the same configuration as the last flight, but I decided to do a change of venue. Even I have gotten sick of seeing the 14th hole behind our house. :roll eyes:

Anyway, the gimbal is still working well. I hate to screw it up by trying different servos in the tilt axis, but I will.

-- Gary
Old May 07, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Dec 2010
501 Posts
After seeing this video I wonder why DJI released the S800.
F550 FTW

Only thing needed is modded esc's.
redridinghood is offline Find More Posts by redridinghood
Last edited by redridinghood; May 07, 2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old May 07, 2012, 05:10 AM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
921 Posts
SO I just watched this latest video in 1080 HD.. Its very impressive stabilization from the new sony camera indeed.

One little point though.. is it me or is the colour crap on the new sony ? The gopro footage might be shaky as hell, BUT the colour looks awesome compared to the sony.. the Sony looks all washed out and faded.... is that the settings on the camera or is that the best it can do... cause that would be a deal breaker for me..
jetbootz is offline Find More Posts by jetbootz
Old May 07, 2012, 05:20 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo12 View Post
I thought that may have been the cause. They say any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

Is the boss system totally passive or are some electronics and image analysis controlling the lens movements?
Another rock solid video. DJI can stuff their $3000 gimbal.

Did you see my question quoted here?
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Old May 07, 2012, 08:23 AM
United States, TX, El Paso
Joined Apr 2012
527 Posts
Steady shot, but I agree the color is somewhat dull. Must be the settings on the camera or the upload onto youtube
Jeffem62 is offline Find More Posts by Jeffem62
Old May 07, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, MI, Jenison
Joined Jun 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Here's another video I did today, at my Mother's house:

http://youtu.be/PwWFJJr91mQ

This is the same configuration as the last flight, but I decided to do a change of venue. Even I have gotten sick of seeing the 14th hole behind our house. :roll eyes:

Anyway, the gimbal is still working well. I hate to screw it up by trying different servos in the tilt axis, but I will.

-- Gary
Hey Gary,
I'm seeing the horizon pretty tilted especially when the hex is holding a yaw movement to the right. Once you stop yaw you will see that the gimbal finds level again. Am I the only one that notices the horizon of the water inclined up?
nicnaimless is offline Find More Posts by nicnaimless
Old May 07, 2012, 10:52 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbootz View Post
SO I just watched this latest video in 1080 HD.. Its very impressive stabilization from the new sony camera indeed.

One little point though.. is it me or is the colour crap on the new sony ? The gopro footage might be shaky as hell, BUT the colour looks awesome compared to the sony.. the Sony looks all washed out and faded.... is that the settings on the camera or is that the best it can do... cause that would be a deal breaker for me..
Actually, it is not all the camera. The BOSS system does zero stabilization in the roll axis, so the roll stabilization you see is the gimbal. Where the BOSS really helps is in the tilt axis, because it can absorb the "roughness" of small movements like lens bounce, lesser performing servos and lower belt drive ratios. On the flight I did of Stephen's new hex the other day, the tilt servo was loose enough that the it could rock back and forth. The camera totally absorbed these unwanted movements. In the roll axis, however, it really doesn't seem to help at all, so I still have the 950 servo and the 2.5:1 belt drive reduction, and had to get the roll gains set perfect.

The color straight out of the camera seems better. I think when it got imported into FCP, I had the box checked where it tries to optimize the color. I'm still learning how to use FCP.

-- Gary
Old May 07, 2012, 10:55 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo12 View Post
Another rock solid video. DJI can stuff their $3000 gimbal.

Did you see my question quoted here?
I'm not sure if there is any electronic stabilization or not, but I'd guess not. You can see the whole lens more or less float around, so it looks like all the stabilization is mechanical. Actually, I just don't know.
Closed Thread