HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 03, 2012, 11:21 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
yes, add it on send an invoice. no rush here. I'm still waiting on my WKM and other electronics. hex not built yet.

How should I position the bottom board for mounting on the f550 or does it not matter. the f450 has those two lengthier sides do wondering if f550 had specific holes or areas
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 11:55 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
yes, add it on send an invoice. no rush here. I'm still waiting on my WKM and other electronics. hex not built yet.

How should I position the bottom board for mounting on the f550 or does it not matter. the f450 has those two lengthier sides do wondering if f550 had specific holes or areas
Sorry, I forgot to post a link to the instructions for the landing gear. I've attached a copy, plus the ones for the AG450-GP-IS F450 isolation mount and the leg extensions.

Anyway, there are two mounting tabs on the top of the LG's center section. These line up with the outer set of circular slots on the F550's lower plate. You use four rubber grommets that slide into the slots, and then four bolts holds everything together.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old May 03, 2012, 11:58 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i like the names..... now I can actually call it something other than "askman's new gimbal, you know the guy who made heli gimbals a while ago..... well he is bacK"
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 03, 2012, 10:03 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
"Install the four M3x16 screws through the grommets, using the provided extra wide washers on each side of the rubber grommet."

Looks like you don't have washers there or are they small?.
Old May 03, 2012, 10:11 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,084 Posts
I do it slightly differently. I bolt the screw onto the adapter plate on the LG from the bottom and tigten in down with a nut so bolt is standing up. place washer. put it though the grommet, another washer and second nut. that works for me as well . in his case, he is using the plastic spacer as washer.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 10:24 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
so looking at his photos, it seems it doesn't matter how I put the bottom Flame wheel board. right? the f450 matters because you have the two extensions on the bottom.
Old May 03, 2012, 11:14 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,084 Posts
technically, you want it so that the slots are symmetrical left/right. this is true for both top and bottom. otherwise, you may have issue lining up the LG mounting.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 10:45 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,996 Posts
Yesterday, during a break in the weather, I did another test fight with the F550 and the PJ710V. There were stronger wind gusts from what they were in the first test flight the other day, especially up high. Because of these, I noticed that the roll gains are slightly off, so you can see a very slight movement in the roll axis. I will try adjusting this out today. The movements are very slight, and not really noticeable unless you are looking for them. Nonetheless, what it more or less confirms is that the camera's BOSS function doesn't do anything for roll movements, so we will need to keep our current setup with the BLS950 and the 2.5:1 belt drive reduction.

AG550 PJ 2 Axis PJ710V Gimbal Test 02 (3 min 29 sec)

This was to be a "baseline" flight, before I start changing things in the tilt axis, but I will probably do one more this morning, after I get the roll gains tweaked a little closer. Right now, the tilt axis still has the 950 servo and it has a 2:1 reduction. I want to try different servos first, and then start playing with the ratio.

On the Naze32 front, I've tested the latest fix that was offered, and it was a lot better, but the twitches did not completely go away. We now feel the only true answer is to implement a Kalman filter for the accelerometer data, in floating point, and get away from the MultiWii-based code. People are working on this now, but it might take a week, or so, until I get something to test.

"Crabby" is coming together nicely. I'll post some more pics later today.I realized that I only had two spare Maytech 30A ESCs (the other four are on my F450...), so yesterday I order four DYS 30A ones from Ken, @QuadroUFO.com. Ken was able to re-flash all four with SimonK's firmware, and still get them shipped out yesterday. Great service. Since they are based somewhere in the LA area, I should get them today.

More later...
Old May 04, 2012, 10:48 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i find roll to be the most important axis to be stabilized... but i am sure they built the camera to be on a trip and they are just trying to smooth out tilt and pan
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 04, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Nonetheless, what it more or less confirms is that the camera's BOSS function doesn't do anything for roll movements, so we will need to keep our current setup with the BLS950 and the 2.5:1 belt drive reduction.
Crazy idea coming...

Put one of these on the lens and mount the camera pointing straight up. Now you have tilt and roll stabilization but no yaw stabilization.

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Panason.../dp/B003WZ2T04

or http://www.edmundoptics.com/imaging/...ng-lenses/3211

This one fits the cameras 52mm thread. http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?s...lerid=23152953
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Last edited by milo12; May 04, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old May 04, 2012, 11:26 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo12 View Post
Crazy idea coming...

Put one of these on the lens and mount the camera pointing straight up. Now you have tilt and roll stabilization but no yaw stabilization.

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Panason.../dp/B003WZ2T04

or http://www.edmundoptics.com/imaging/...ng-lenses/3211

This one fits the cameras 52mm thread. http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?s...lerid=23152953
lol, that is a crazy idea. I bet it might work, though. You wouldn't be able to use the sun shield, though, and I'm not sure about the quality of the mirror optics, but it is a clever idea.

-- Gary
Old May 04, 2012, 06:20 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,996 Posts
I did another test flight this morning, after tweaking the roll gains a bit more. Much better.

AG550-PJ 2-Axis PJ710V Gimbal Test-03.mov (3 min 40 sec)

Later I'll post another video I did today with Stephen (Steph280...), who maidened his new WK-M - equipped hex today. It is based on Rusty's kit, and uses TRex500 CF booms. Very cool looking.

-- Gary
Old May 04, 2012, 06:34 PM
Private Pilot
Joined Jul 2009
1,226 Posts
I dont know how, but you keep impressing me more and more haha Great work Gary. Will you guys be offering a mount specifically for the sony 710v with the existing gimbal/landing gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
I did another test flight this morning, after tweaking the roll gains a bit more. Much better.

http://youtu.be/fM-ZMahvvgw

Later I'll post another video I did today with Stephen (Steph280...), who maidened his new WK-M - equipped hex today. It is based on Rusty's kit, and uses TRex500 CF booms. Very cool looking.

-- Gary
Twister773 is online now Find More Posts by Twister773
Old May 04, 2012, 06:42 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister773 View Post
I dont know how, but you keep impressing me more and more haha Great work Gary. Will you guys be offering a mount specifically for the sony 710v with the existing gimbal/landing gear?
yes, once all the testing is done. this is getting close to DLSR weight and we want to make sure everything is strong/stiff enough. we may need to make 1 part slightly thicker I sent some sample to gary already. the final rev of the yoke is already done, so easy to have it available.

this really helps us in developing the DSLR version. It really does look like everyone else is going to yoke type roll for their high end system. we have proven that it does work well.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 06:44 PM
Private Pilot
Joined Jul 2009
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
yes, once all the testing is done. this is getting close to DLSR weight and we want to make sure everything is strong/stiff enough. we may need to make 1 part slightly thicker I sent some sample to gary already. the final rev of the yoke is already done, so easy to have it available.

this really helps us in developing the DSLR version. It really does look like everyone else is going to yoke type roll for their high end system. we have proven that it does work well.
You too! I look forward to seeing the final product and will be ready to click buy when it is available
Twister773 is online now Find More Posts by Twister773
Closed Thread