SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old May 02, 2012, 06:27 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
that looks great!

If they are out prior to june I will definitely buy/use one on my summer trips doing AP work in WY and AK

that is a great idea to build a quad around the gimbal...

so when is the hex or Y-6 version coming out?
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 06:34 PM
Private Pilot
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Jul 2009
1,273 Posts
Im contemplating getting the f550 or one of Tony's folding hex 650's and I just bought a WKM to put in whichever. Im pretty sure I am gonna get this gimbal and even the same video cam after seeing these results. If going the 550 route, is it better to get the arf kit or just the frame and go with my own motors/esc?
Twister773 is online now Find More Posts by Twister773
Old May 02, 2012, 06:38 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
Y6 is easy, hex is not. Y6 probably won't come in under 2kg. one thing at a time though. and only certain esc fits inside currently, (if you mount the esc o the arm, it is no problem) so, some work needs to be done. my original concept for crab was folding arm, but that introduced lot of small issues, so we went to smaller sized with fixed arm. our experience with dji450 shows that we can have good result with small sized setup.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 06:42 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister773 View Post
Im contemplating getting the f550 or one of Tony's folding hex 650's and I just bought a WKM to put in whichever. Im pretty sure I am gonna get this gimbal and even the same video cam after seeing these results. If going the 550 route, is it better to get the arf kit or just the frame and go with my own motors/esc?

DJI ARF kit is only 320 bucks or so, and it works pretty well. it is really easy set to put together. only downside is the motor is not quite as nice.

one option may be the frame/esc from dji and different motor if you want slightly bigger/lower kv motor
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 06:54 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
I was sort of kidding with the hex and Y-6

But I love Y-6 and I am down to 1 (from 3) of them. So I think I will be in the market for a nice smaller y-6 frame

Keep up the good work!!!

Amazing, I never would have though you guys would get into controllers, distro and frames
Old May 02, 2012, 07:14 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
turning the crab into lobster is easy enough LOL. and just as tasty. these names were first thought up by Seismic, so credit where credit is due. he did lot of early testing on both crab and lobster. we got busy with gimbal, but we are getting back to it as purpose built multi. there are lot of great frames and no need to compete with others but. we needed a base for 2kg design and our old crab was perfect base. we are calling it the "first responder" with crab as a nickname.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 07:30 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Love the lobster
Old May 02, 2012, 07:33 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
729 Posts
I love the design, my wife hates you guys.

Is that crab.....smiling? It appears to be a happy crab.
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
Right on! I'm more confused than ever.
Thanks Wingbreaker for asking all these questions because what is logic for a seasoned RC guy can be up hill for a wannabe like me.
clausjepsen is offline Find More Posts by clausjepsen
Old May 03, 2012, 12:28 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausjepsen View Post
Thanks Wingbreaker for asking all these questions because what is logic for a seasoned RC guy can be up hill for a wannabe like me.
Not to worry, Claus. Andrey and I both realized that this whole servo power isolation issue is crazy confusing, even for "seasoned" RC guys, which is why we decided to go ahead and do this small adapter board. I ordered 360 of them this morning. Basically, it will be plug'n play. You plug in the two servo leads, along with the lead coming from the BEC. Then you plug in the two leads coming off the adapter board into the gimbal outputs on the controller. That's pretty much it. There will also be a detailed set of instructions.

I've ordered a couple different 6V BECs from Hobby King. If the work out, I might order a bunch, so that we can offer both the BEC and the adapter boards.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old May 03, 2012, 12:53 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
for myself, I just hate making wire harnesses. these type of little board really makes life easy.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 01:33 AM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
ive been making my harness for the last 2hrs
Old May 03, 2012, 06:36 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausjepsen View Post
i've been doing rc on and off for the past 8 years
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old May 03, 2012, 06:39 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Not to worry, Claus. Andrey and I both realized that this whole servo power isolation issue is crazy confusing, even for "seasoned" RC guys, which is why we decided to go ahead and do this small adapter board. I ordered 360 of them this morning. Basically, it will be plug'n play. You plug in the two servo leads, along with the lead coming from the BEC. Then you plug in the two leads coming off the adapter board into the gimbal outputs on the controller. That's pretty much it. There will also be a detailed set of instructions.

I've ordered a couple different 6V BECs from Hobby King. If the work out, I might order a bunch, so that we can offer both the BEC and the adapter boards.

-- Gary
will i get this on my recent order of the gimbal or will i have to order it separately?

Side note: my used nex5n came in today. that is a sweet video camera for 400 bucks. I can use it as a b-cam for my 7D. Actually the latitude on the thing seems better than the canon apsc sensor. Next platform will be for this cam though: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...ccinemacamera/ like a mini arri alexa for $3K weighing in at 3 pounds without lens. Takes EF glass, shoots 2.5k raw and comes with da vinci.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Last edited by Wingbreaker; May 03, 2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:10 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,163 Posts
Quote:
will i get this on my recent order of the gimbal or will i have to order it separately?
Well, I'm not going to be giving them away for free. They won't be much, though. Anyway, I won't have them until Monday. If you would like for me to wait until then, I can add one of these.Otherwise, your order will go out tomorrow. I'm waiting on more of the special silicon isolators, which I will get tomorrow morning.

Also, I ran out of the BLS950 servos, and the shipment that was supposed to come in this week has been delayed a week in Customs. I won't be able to ship any new complete orders until then. Of course, the gimbals can be ordered without the servos, and they can be purchased separately at somewhere like Amainhobbies.com.

Quote:
Side note: my used nex5n came in today. that is a sweet video camera for 400 bucks. I can use it as a b-cam for my 7D. Actually the latitude on the thing seems better than the canon apsc sensor. Next platform will be for this cam though: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...ccinemacamera/ like a mini arri alexa for $3K weighing in at 3 pounds without lens. Takes EF glass, shoots 2.5k raw and comes with da vinci.
Nice camera. Very compact, for what it does.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Closed Thread