SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Aug 01, 2013, 11:55 PM
Joined Oct 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
yup, I would try 120/120/150/150 I know it won't fly as tight, but it will turn the shakes into small wobbles in fast forward flight and that can be stabilized. adding 3rd axis really helps this even more. ,
Okay, I will give that a try. Do you think I should tighten my secondary isolation any...maybe 1/2 turn or so?
RCmit is offline Find More Posts by RCmit
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2013, 01:56 AM
Explorer
Norge, Telemark, Notodden
Joined Jul 2005
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCmit View Post
Okay, I will give that a try. Do you think I should tighten my secondary isolation any...maybe 1/2 turn or so?

Could you not just test and see what happens?

I would suggest, if you don't see changes from small adjustments, make big adjustments. Then it's easier to see what adjustments needs to be done, if any at all.
åsmund is offline Find More Posts by åsmund
Old Aug 04, 2013, 01:42 AM
Joined Oct 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
yup, I would try 120/120/150/150 I know it won't fly as tight, but it will turn the shakes into small wobbles in fast forward flight and that can be stabilized. adding 3rd axis really helps this even more. ,
This is my latest effort; things are starting to look much better now. I may lower the gains a bit more, I'm not really concerned about the fast flight vibrations. After trying to improve on what I had I made things much worse I got back to where I was and improved beyond that slightly. Figure I will stop tinkering for now; if the 3rd axis helps with fast forward flight I will want one soon enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lb4jtsFuDs
Last edited by RCmit; Aug 04, 2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2013, 11:00 AM
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,575 Posts
looking at running a seperate battery for 3 axis setup.. do you guys have any idea what sort of current draw the 3axis 500DD uses?
AliB is offline Find More Posts by AliB
Old Aug 04, 2013, 03:03 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
less than 2 amp continous. very little
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2013, 12:39 AM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
1,024 Posts
Hey now! I just received my AG500DD and mounted it up to my F550. Im waiting on a few odds and ends, like a 12v BEC, LC filter for the power, and a few EC3 connectors. Is 14 gauge wire for power to the alexmos overkill? Cheers!
isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
Old Aug 06, 2013, 01:12 AM
Joined Oct 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacintheclouds View Post
Hey now! I just received my AG500DD and mounted it up to my F550. Im waiting on a few odds and ends, like a 12v BEC, LC filter for the power, and a few EC3 connectors. Is 14 gauge wire for power to the alexmos overkill? Cheers!
16 gauge wire should be sufficient; by the way if you are running 4s you don't need the BEC the gimbal can be powered off flight battery.
Old Aug 06, 2013, 10:47 AM
Joined May 2011
1,024 Posts
Thanks!
Old Aug 06, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined May 2011
1,024 Posts
I now have the alexmos powered with 4s. I see some slight wobble in roll and pitch. I have tried to connect it to assistants 2.03 2.04 and 2.1 and in all 3 it tells me there is a board mismatch. I tried to flash the FW but the AVRDuduR doesn't come up with Simplebgc in the MCU window, nor arduno in the programmer window. Since Im not the best at computers, especially PCs, can anyone give me a little direction on how to make this stuff work? Somehow I figured out how to make the Hoverfly software work, but Im having trouble with this stuff. Cheers!
Old Aug 06, 2013, 01:02 PM
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,575 Posts
avrdude didnt work on mine... try xloader.. you will go through the steps, and it will tell you that it hasnt successfully worked, but it has haha
AliB is offline Find More Posts by AliB
Old Aug 06, 2013, 01:14 PM
Joined May 2011
1,024 Posts
Amazingly I figured it out. I was missing a driver. Its on 2.1 and I am now able to tune!
Old Aug 06, 2013, 06:07 PM
Joined May 2011
1,024 Posts
After messing with the pid settings all day I still have some small roll wobble. Tilt has a bit of bounce in it too, no matter what pid settings and power settings I can't seem to get rid of this roll wobble/bounce. I'm currently at 10 .1 10 on roll and 10 .5 8 on pitch, both at 120 on 4s. The isolation mounts are as tight as I dare go and there is no vibration in the video.
Has anyone had better luck with a 12v BEC powering the AM on an ag500dd? I'm also going to put an LC filter on the power for the AM once I put a 12v BEC on it. Maybe that will help it settle out?
Old Aug 06, 2013, 08:58 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
first of all, I would go ahead and check roll balance. almost all wobble is related to balance on the gimbal . you need it perfect and arms perpendicular. 12v will allow you a bit bigger margin for tuning, but I would check roll balance again. you want it perfect as possible.

pittch bounce issue can be couple different cause. one is flexing of the mounting . i remember you are using the f550 LG. can you see any flex anywhere? .5 or .05 ? . the other thing is this. when does pitch bounce occur? during hover? during fast forward flight? if frame bounce occurs, it will translate to pitch bounce. only way to get rid of that is reduce the normal gain on the naza so frame does not shake in wind/forward flight.

slow down the movement so that gimbal can compensate.

another thing we found out is that if people have bad motor, vibration can cause issue with the gimbal. clean video usually means vibration is good though
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Aug 06, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2013, 09:20 PM
Joined May 2011
1,024 Posts
The camera will stay in any position I put it in, pitch down or level, rolled left or right. I'll mess with it more and make sure it is as close to perfectly balanced as possible. It does the little wobble though even if I'm just holding the heli and slowly rolling it back and forth. Same with the pitch. It's similar to how the motors will feel when you move them and the magnets are passing by the coils when the motors are not powered. I guess I can't expect it to be perfect the first day of tuning. I'll work on it some more in the next few days and post vids of my results.

How are people getting it perfect with HDMI cables for FPV? I'd love to see some pics of how they are routing it. I have the hyperthin cable and it doesn't bind on anything. It doesn't appear to make much difference whether its on there or not as far as the wobble goes. I did notice though that the hyperthin cable won't power the converter. I had to use a CCBEC set to 5v spliced into an old USB cord end to power the converter.
Last edited by isaacintheclouds; Aug 06, 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2013, 09:53 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacintheclouds View Post
The camera will stay in any position I put it in, pitch down or level, rolled left or right. I'll mess with it more and make sure it is as close to perfectly balanced as possible. It does the little wobble though even if I'm just holding the heli and slowly rolling it back and forth. Same with the pitch. It's similar to how the motors will feel when you move them and the magnets are passing by the coils when the motors are not powered. I guess I can't expect it to be perfect the first day of tuning. I'll work on it some more in the next few days and post vids of my results.

How are people getting it perfect with HDMI cables for FPV? I'd love to see some pics of how they are routing it. I have the hyperthin cable and it doesn't bind on anything. It doesn't appear to make much difference whether its on there or not as far as the wobble goes. I did notice though that the hyperthin cable won't power the converter. I had to use a CCBEC set to 5v spliced into an old USB cord end to power the converter.
Which camera are you using again? I am using the Hyperthin cable with my NEX 5N and it powers the HDMI converter. But I know my buddies RX100 will not power the HDMI converter. It seems to be camera dependent.
Daloaf is online now Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread