HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 02, 2012, 12:11 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
who uses the 12v line off a ESC for power

perhaps for a really light weight rig..... No offense but you gimbal/landing gear arent really for a light weight setup....

I use BECs in all my rigs, planes, multirotors........

it is nice to know that if you burn up a ESC from overpropping (airplane) that you can still dead stick the landing....
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 12:17 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
most esc has linear 5v reg , but not good for much if you run 4S packs lol. some have switching reg and they do pretty well. I used to run kontroniks Jazz 40 on 5S on my smaller heli without issues (eolo/eco8 sized)
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 06:26 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,723 Posts

LIke this?
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old May 02, 2012, 09:56 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
In case of F550 ARF, the esc are OPTO, so you don't need to worry about esc. but in our case, we are doing somthing similar with gimbal servo wire.

here is a simple schematic I just drew up with servo wiring to bec and fcb with 5v reg to power the ecb from 6v bec. (in this case if you are using naze32 . naza has its own regulator. )

I believe pin1 is signal, pin 2 is power and pin3 is ground. which is what I used
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 10:06 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
In case of F550 ARF, the esc are OPTO, so you don't need to worry about esc. but in our case, we are doing somthing similar with gimbal servo wire.

here is a simple schematic I just drew up with servo wiring to bec and fcb with 5v reg to power the ecb from 6v bec. (in this case if you are using naze32 . naza has its own regulator. )

I believe pin1 is signal, pin 2 is power and pin3 is ground. which is what I used
Yeah these diagrams are tough for me to look at. no i wont have any other controller beside WK-M maybe in future when i understand this more. So what do you mean I don't need to worry about the esc? do I just wire from the battery lead?
Last edited by Wingbreaker; May 02, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old May 02, 2012, 10:18 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
on f550, there is distribution board. wire the UBEC to the distribution board. which will give you 6v out of the ubec.

if I get this small board turned and available, it will really simplify this. if I submit it this week, it will be couple weeks before I get though.

lets get you setup and flying with your multi before worrying about this. I may get the board done by then and it would be plug and play by then.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 10:30 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,723 Posts
Quote:
on f550, there is distribution board. wire the UBEC to the distribution board. which will give you 6v out of the ubec.

if I get this small board turned and available, it will really simplify this. if I submit it this week, it will be couple weeks before I get though.

lets get you setup and flying with your multi before worrying about this. I may get the board done by then and it would be plug and play by then.
cool. in the meantime all I have to do is solder the bec to the board and then send the servo wire from the bed to my rx?
Old May 02, 2012, 10:33 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
BEC is soldered to the distribution board. you want to take red and black wire from roll and tilt servo and connect to the BEC (red and black) The white(sometimes orange) signal wire from servo goes to the WMK . this is best done using servo extension, so you don't mess up the servo wire .
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 10:45 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,723 Posts
Quote:
BEC is soldered to the distribution board. you want to take red and black wire from roll and tilt servo and connect to the BEC (red and black) The white(sometimes orange) signal wire from servo goes to the WMK . this is best done using servo extension, so you don't mess up the servo wire .
ok i think i got it now. so bec servo lead does not go to anything besides a Y to the two servos red and black wires.
Old May 02, 2012, 01:14 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Since the demand for these is fairly strong, I went ahead and ordered a bunch of adapter boards made. Electrically, it matches Andrey's schematic. It will have three 3-pin headers that will be used to plug in the two servos and the BEC. There will then be two male servo leads coming off this board that will plug into the FCB or the gimbal controller. If something like the Naze32 is used for both functions, 5V can be supplied via the onboard 5V regulator. If a separate FCB is used, like a Naza or a WK-M, which come with their own 5V BECs, these regulator parts can be omitted. In that case, only the signal and ground leads will go to the FCB/gimbal controller.

These should be available early next week.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old May 02, 2012, 01:18 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
cool. looks good.

madlabs is making some great cases for HoverFly boards... and they are cheap. When i buy/get one i might see if they can make a little case for it

since we are using the Naza32 for gimbal control, in the future, can it output 6v if it is running of 6v?

I would bet this little board would be great so sell at the MK, Photohigher and Cinestar dealers... since those use HV servos as well....
Old May 02, 2012, 01:29 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Since the demand for these is fairly strong, I went ahead and ordered a bunch of adapter boards made. Electrically, it matches Andrey's schematic. It will have three 3-pin headers that will be used to plug in the two servos and the BEC. There will then be two male servo leads coming off this board that will plug into the FCB or the gimbal controller. If something like the Naze32 is used for both functions, 5V can be supplied via the onboard 5V regulator. If a separate FCB is used, like a Naza or a WK-M, which come with their own 5V BECs, these regulator parts can be omitted. In that case, only the signal and ground leads will go to the FCB/gimbal controller.

These should be available early next week.

-- Gary
Right on! I'm more confused than ever.
Old May 02, 2012, 01:43 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
cool. looks good.

madlabs is making some great cases for HoverFly boards... and they are cheap. When i buy/get one i might see if they can make a little case for it

since we are using the Naza32 for gimbal control, in the future, can it output 6v if it is running of 6v?

I would bet this little board would be great so sell at the MK, Photohigher and Cinestar dealers... since those use HV servos as well....
The Naze32 can only run on 5V, so it needs to get it from this regulator, or from the Naza/WKM.

-- Gary
Old May 02, 2012, 01:44 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
Right on! I'm more confused than ever.
Don't worry, this solution is pretty much plug'n play, and it will come with instructions.
Old May 02, 2012, 02:07 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
The Naze32 can only run on 5V, so it needs to get it from this regulator, or from the Naza/WKM.

-- Gary
boo..... too bad it cannot run on 6v

I was liking how the HF board will pass through 5v or 6v from the BEC to the servos... it is so clean, no servo Ys or anything.

thats okay
Closed Thread