HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 16, 2013, 08:33 PM
Joined Jul 2011
177 Posts
So,
What is the recomendation for Nex5n:

Buy AG500DD 2-Axis or wait for AG500DD 3-axis availability ??

Thanks!!
pabloreg is offline Find More Posts by pabloreg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2013, 08:51 PM
Joined Jul 2011
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo View Post
If anyone is interested I am selling my AG500DD gimbal, $475
It's the same at TPpacks? Without something?
Last edited by pabloreg; Jul 16, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Oct 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliB View Post
the dirt was behind the piece of plastic/glass/whatever is at the top when you take off the lens.
so impossible to get.

sony repairing it FOC under warranty
Gotchha, that sucks; hopefully they get it sorted and it doesn't happen again.
RCmit is offline Find More Posts by RCmit
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:57 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloreg View Post
It's the same at TPpacks? Without something?
Yes, it is from TPpacks, it is complete and has been sold to Jeremy Smith.
CG Photo is offline Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
56 Posts
Hello gentlemen,
Any feed back from your testers or yourself yet? It's killing me. Really. Talking about you know the Y6 and AG1KDD.
Stevie D is offline Find More Posts by Stevie D
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:17 PM
Explorer
Norge, Telemark, Notodden
Joined Jul 2005
226 Posts
I was tweaking the gains at home, then drove to another place for some fpv flying. A bit wind sometimes, and it doesn't like that so much. I am not sure if I should adjust gains on the gimbal or tighten or loosen the vibration dampening.

Gains:
Roll p=7 I=0.01 d=13 Power= 125
Pitch p=7 I=0.07 d=7 Power=120
PWM:Low(noisy)

AG500DD Alexmos test (4 min 41 sec)

Do not understand why video is stuttering, it is converted from 50 to 29,97 using twixtor with a bit motion blur
åsmund is offline Find More Posts by åsmund
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:45 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
Hello gentlemen,
Any feed back from your testers or yourself yet? It's killing me. Really. Talking about you know the Y6 and AG1KDD.
I should have my AG1KDD 3X up and running by this weekend if all goes well. I'm waiting for FPVmodel to get me my 3rd axis expansion board for my AM board. I mounted the AG1kDD 3X up to my V1 lobster, which needed some modifications to get it to fit. With the 3rd axis motor, it made the tray of the gimbal stick down further then the landing gear. So I had to use shorter standoffs for the 3 isolation mounts, lengthen the landing gear and cut down the vertical tube between the yaw motor and roll motor. Doing all that, I now have about 1cm of clearance between the ground the the tray. I think this will be less of a issue with the V2 lobster as it will be using a much different vibration isolation setup.

Other then a few of these needed mods, everything in the build looks great. The AG1kDD 3x is made for larger cameras like the GH3 or canon rebel series, so the NEX 5N looks really small on the tray. I'm going to work on the balance next and also put a new 12ch receiver on the lobster as I now need 10 channels for the setup that I want. I can't wait to get this gimbal up in the air, those 3 channel expansion boards need to hurry up and get here!
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:32 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by åsmund View Post
I was tweaking the gains at home, then drove to another place for some fpv flying. A bit wind sometimes, and it doesn't like that so much. I am not sure if I should adjust gains on the gimbal or tighten or loosen the vibration dampening.

Gains:
Roll p=7 I=0.01 d=13 Power= 125
Pitch p=7 I=0.07 d=7 Power=120
PWM:Low(noisy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73UA4...ature=youtu.be

Do not understand why video is stuttering, it is converted from 50 to 29,97 using twixtor with a bit motion blur

looks pretty close., I mean I see a bit of shake when the wind noise is up. almost like frame shake. I would keep the silicon grommette tight, but may loosen the secondary a bit. (half turn perhaps) the other thing may be your naza gain, lowering it slightly will make shaking bit less.

the funny thing is that a year ago, we would have killed for a result like that
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:08 PM
Joined Jul 2011
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
looks pretty close., I mean I see a bit of shake when the wind noise is up. almost like frame shake. I would keep the silicon grommette tight, but may loosen the secondary a bit. (half turn perhaps) the other thing may be your naza gain, lowering it slightly will make shaking bit less.

true lol.
Really like the results.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:04 AM
Explorer
Norge, Telemark, Notodden
Joined Jul 2005
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post

Thanks, I will try that
åsmund is offline Find More Posts by åsmund
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:33 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloreg View Post
So,
What is the recomendation for Nex5n:

Buy AG500DD 2-Axis or wait for AG500DD 3-axis availability ??

Thanks!!
Same here. Any timetable on when the AG500DD 3X (update) will be available?
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Website and Showreel
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:35 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2012
244 Posts
Waiting for that as well.
simonsay is offline Find More Posts by simonsay
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:02 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2007
209 Posts
are their recommended setting for RX100 on 3s?

is there an ETA on landing gear at tppacks?

I mounted my ag500DD to my f550, but getting the booms in shot in forward flight on the 28mm RX100. tppacks landing gear looks to allow for forward gimbal mounting.
beeker_12 is offline Find More Posts by beeker_12
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:54 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike SF View Post
Same here. Any timetable on when the AG500DD 3X (update) will be available?
I have one more test to do, and then I think the 500DD-3X is ready. At that point we will have to decide whether to wait on the 3rd-axis boards, or offer them with another AM board.

I have my AG500DD-3X test setup installed on my v1 Lobster. It has an NEX-5R with the heavy 24mm CZ lens. Definitely worst case for a 500DD, from a weight perspective. I am already quite happy with the gimbal performance, including the pan axis stabilization with the follow frame mode. What I'm more concerned about is getting the isolation optimized, so that there are no bounces or vibrations, at all, that get through, even in gusty winds and fast forward flight. This has been the bugaboo for getting that "perfect" video, since day one. The gimbal performance is so good now, that we can identify small things that were buried in the "noise" before, with the servo based gimbals.

Anyway, there will be a 3rd axis upgrade kit that will work with any existing AG500DD. What I'm not completely sure about at the moment is whether or not we need to make changes to the isolation scheme as well. A lot of this is platform-dependent, though, so there's not really a "one-size-fits-all" solution. In the past, we've just used four, six or eight of the silicon grommets, spread out as far as possible. This worked pretty well, but since the gimbal was never really perfect, in terms of stabilization, but the bottom line is in order to stop wind-induced bounces, you had to have the grommets pretty tight. Doing this, however, can cause some of the higher frequency vibes to get through. For some cameras, like the RX100, which are more sensitive to vibrations, we ended up adding a second layer of isolation by using for rubber EAR isolators and a second camera baseplate.

When we were researching how to do isolation for the Phantom and the Hero3 Black, which is even more sensitive to jello than the RX100, in certain modes, we had to have the four silicon grommets in closer, which means less isolation for the higher frequency vibes, and just adding a secondary layer of rubber isolation was not enough. Andrey then came up with idea to use 1/4" sections of silicon tubing on either side of the rubber grommets. This really did the trick and I was finally able to get jello-free video from the H3B in the 2.7k/30p mode, on a bright sunny day.

We have taken this 2-1/2 level isolation approach forward now, with the AG400DD and AG500DD gimbals, but for the heavier AG500DD setups, I'm using six rubber grommet/silicon tubing combos. I think the "standard" 90mm square pattern for the silicon grommets is okay for the 2-axis AG500DD setups, along with six grommet/tubing positions, but I don't think this will necessarily be enough for a 3-axis variant, especially with a heavier camera/lens setup. What I have right now is the original v1 Lobster IMS, with six spread-out silicon grommets, and then attached to it the two-plate secondary isolation with eight rubber grommet/silicon tubing positions. This almost surely overkill, isolation-wise, but I want to get a good baseline, with a worst-case (weight-wise...) setup.

Our original plan for a v2 Lobster has been scrapped, in it's current form anyway. The idea was to be able to make use of the cool new distribution board in the design, which simplifies the wiring, especially for adding accessories. The problem is that we tried to use this PCB as basically a replacement for the lower plate. We've since found out that this introduces a ton of flex into the platform that wasn't there with the v1 Lobster frameset. I think at this point, if we do end up doing a v2 Lobster it will simply be to add the distribution board to the "regular" lower plate, on standoffs, and we will redo the IMS to make it a bit more of a lower profile, while keeping the wide spacing of the six silicon grommets.

We are working on what ultimately I think will be a much better, and more flexible, platform solution, based on a modular set of building blocks. These will be based on using CF tubes and plates. You'll be able to configure these as a Y6, like the lobster, a flat hex with tilted up arms and several different quad configurations. The quads and hex options will include retracts for the LG tubes/skids. I will test two quad setups, one for a "mid-size" AG500DD-3X/RX100-II configuration, and the other a big quad with 4114 motors, 16" props and a 6s-8000 pack that will be setup with an AG1kDD-3X and a GH3/12-35mm combo.

The smaller one will have the gimbal/camera in a low profile front-mount orientation, with the pack hanging off the back, for balance. The front arms will be at 30-degrees, to stay out of view, and the rear ones at 45 degrees. This will use four 2814 SunnySky motors and 12" CF props.

More about the new platforms next week. In the meantime, we need to get the 500DD-3X and 1kDD-3X isolation testing done, so that we can release these finally.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:21 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
839 Posts
What is happening with the upgrade for the AG600 to DD?
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Closed Thread