South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Gary:

Are these gimbals sold assembled?

- - david
Yes, they will be mostly assembled. We may elect to have some major pieces apart, for shipping purposes, but the gimbal itself will be assembled.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Apr 21, 2013, 03:07 PM
Joined Mar 2008
108 Posts
when they will be available and where exactly ?
Will you have any sony nex version ?
Any idea about cost of them ?
toxotis70 is offline Find More Posts by toxotis70
Old Apr 21, 2013, 04:44 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxotis70 View Post
when they will be available and where exactly ?
Will you have any sony nex version ?
Any idea about cost of them ?
Their web site is http://tppacks.com/
Most items are listed out of stock right now as they are currently reworking their whole line of gimbals and Y6 frames. The new gimbal models will be 400DD for Gopros. The 500DD for cameras up to 310 grams, that should work for the NEX5 and 5N with a small prime lens or the RX100 with built in lens. They they are working on a 600DD for larger cameras. They are also developing a larger 3 axis handheld hoverfly controlled version that will work on or off a helicopter with a handlebar mount.
CG Photo is online now Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Apr 21, 2013, 04:52 PM
Joined Oct 2012
235 Posts
I too am eager to see the pricing on the 500DD...I wonder how much more expensive it will be over it's servo powered counterpart. On another note...what do you guys think...Lobster or Shrimp for 500DD and Sony NEX?
RCmit is offline Find More Posts by RCmit
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:19 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
ag400/500 is really targetted at crayfish/shrimp . while 600/700 is for bigger setup.

and pricing will be quite affordable. initially, we are planning on mostly plug and play setup where it will be wired up and ready to go. we will also have dyi version later on for lower price once we are up and running. AG500DD-PNP(which include the alexismos) will cost less than current ag600 without HFG. we will probably have rx100 version as well as gf3 version. (and nex5/pancake version) I think gary has pancake lens that I can borrow to set it up and make a plate. I do have concern about hdmi /video out though. most of those cables are heavy and stiff. so that is concern. may need to go to ag600DD if you want video out. need to see.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Apr 21, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:33 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1,761 Posts
Currently I am shooting with a Hero 3 black but have been considering the RX100 for better quality video and reduced fisheye. I've got to be able to see what I am shooting, so I was thinking of connecting a small keychain camera on top of the RX100 for my video downlink. I can use a silicon ribbon cable to feed & power the camera and it only weighs 18 grams. It would be a lighter solution as compared to running a separate HDMI converter. I wish the RX100 had a composite video out like the hero and 808 camaras have.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:52 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
the new frames have provision for camera/video signal right on the frame. and ecb has traces to run the signals to the vtx and power it as well as separate power trace for vtx power (12v)

I use this power to run the gimbal motors at 12v.

RX100 is great camera with good OIS. I do like my GF3 though with hacked firmware. even though it is only 30fps, I find the video quality and lens to be really good. (pancake on gf3 is very good/sharp optics)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:08 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,806 Posts
RX100 produces some of the best video at 1080/60p for essentially a point and shoot that I've seen.

What sets it apart from other cams is it fully manual controls for aperture, ISO, and shutter. Two stage OIS is pretty good, though I tend not to use it because it some times produces a little strobing on pans. No fisheye with the RX100.

Although it lacks a ND filter, and the HDMI connection is poorly placed, and it is one quality, well built cam at 248g.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

- - david
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined Oct 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
ag400/500 is really targetted at crayfish/shrimp . while 600/700 is for bigger setup.

and pricing will be quite affordable. initially, we are planning on mostly plug and play setup where it will be wired up and ready to go. we will also have dyi version later on for lower price once we are up and running. AG500DD-PNP(which include the alexismos) will cost less than current ag600 without HFG. we will probably have rx100 version as well as gf3 version. (and nex5/pancake version) I think gary has pancake lens that I can borrow to set it up and make a plate. I do have concern about hdmi /video out though. most of those cables are heavy and stiff. so that is concern. may need to go to ag600DD if you want video out. need to see.
Thanks for that info, looks like ag600DD on the Lobster will be the way for me to go as I want to have hdmi video out also. I am also interested in using the gimbal on the ground also.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:41 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I have the ag500 mounted on my old shrimp and ready to flight test tomorrow. it seems like it will run on 4S. the standard yoke and extra load seem to provide extra damping and seems to have no issue on 4S. the scope looks very clean without oscillation compared to ag400. monoarm design I guess is bit more finicky to tune

anyway, should be able to get some video tomorrow with bit of luck.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:12 AM
Joined Feb 2013
213 Posts
I think the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera may well become popular as the ProRes codec will mean being able shooting to broadcast spec. This camera should fit into your system easily - shouldn't it? 455g with 14mm pancake lens.
Jcflippen is offline Find More Posts by Jcflippen
Last edited by Jcflippen; Apr 22, 2013 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Added info
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:49 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1,761 Posts
The 30 fps max may increase jello issues. If it could do 60 fps the out put may be more usable. I avoid 30 fps recording when flying.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:51 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
813 Posts
Dd700

Gary/Andrey, the direct drive, 3 axis, 700 looks really interesting. When used handheld, how do you control the tilt and yaw? Will there be some sort of rocker switches for your thumbs or something like that? -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Last edited by digitalCAM; Apr 22, 2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:07 AM
Joined Oct 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcflippen View Post
I think the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera may well become popular as the ProRes codec will mean being able shooting to broadcast spec. This camera should fit into your system easily - shouldn't it? 455g with 14mm pancake lens.
I am thinking the exact same thing...figure I could keep using the NEX for now and then move to this in the future.
Closed Thread