HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:38 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
nex5 gimbal is wide enough for gopro. only difference is that gopro version has a mount on the gimbal to allow you to use the case while on nex5 gimbal , you will most likely have to mount it without case. If you use the tripod adapter on the gopro case, the lens will also not line up with roll axis as well. (not a big deal per se, but it is not the most ideal) So, answer is yes.

it is also very easy to change out yoke, so in the future, you may consider getting second gopro yoke.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:56 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,435 Posts
Awesome! I just don't trust my multirotor enough for a NEX camera yet, figure I'd stick on the GoPro on there first. Thanks for the explanation.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:10 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280 View Post
Awesome! I just don't trust my multirotor enough for a NEX camera yet, figure I'd stick on the GoPro on there first. Thanks for the explanation.
Yes, Andrey is right. the NEX camera tray is sized so that the center of the lens is in the center of the roll axis and the center of the tilt axis. Same thing with the special GoPro tray. What is really cool about the latter is that the tray has the little tabs sticking up that match up with the ones on the bottom of the plastic case. You just put a bolt through to hold it on there. This is way better, in my opinion, than using the GoPro's tripod adapter.

You could, I suppose, use the tripod adapter with the NEX tray, but the lens would be higher, which means you have to tweak the gains to try and get it right, and i'm not sure you can anywhere near as close. Besides, if you get to the point you want to go for a NEX, I'll hook you up.

If you are around this weekend, maybe we could meet up somewhere, and I'll let you fly this hex. It is a real treat to fly. Give me a call.

I just did a couple more test flights. I did one with the FY-30A as a standalone gimbal controller, and then another with the WK-M. Frankly, I couldn't tell much difference, but the WK-M had less vibration-related noise, so small movements were smoother. I'll post the video a bit later, after it finishes rendering and being uploaded to YT. Both were very smooth, and the gains were close on both. All-in-all, I'm pretty damn happy. I think some people are going to be a bit surprised.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:52 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,027 Posts
Here is the latest video, with the full-size DH20x-GCD on the tilt axis as well. It is a LOT smoother now. You can basically just glide around now, and the camera stays pretty still. To get it any better would require a bit more granularity in the gimbal gain adjustments. Right now, the roll gain is at 28 and the tilt is at 27. They both would be even better if I could put in 27.5. Also, sudden, big excursions have a very slight lag, but that is because the Naza/WK-M's output update rate is 100Hz, and it would be better at 400-500Hz, like the XA FC, or the PicLoc.

F550 GoPro Gimbal Test-05.mp4 (2 min 45 sec)

Testing continues...

-- Gary
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:01 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,435 Posts
That is very smooth!

By the way can this gimbal tilt 90 degrees so camera can point straight down to the ground?

Gary I'll call you next week. Supposed to be windy this weekend. Thanks!
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
The gimbal has 90degree tilt travel. and yes, you can make it look straight down. now, if you set it for 0 to 90, you will lose stabilization when you are near the end of the travel. if you are planning on shooting downward, you need to set it up so it has 30 to 120 degree travel..

if you planning on doing more FPV shot, you want -30 to 60. so, how you set it up is very important. it is pretty easy to change since it is just a belt drive.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:31 AM
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Apr 2003
300 Posts
That is VERY nice!!
Laddy McMurry is offline Find More Posts by Laddy McMurry
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:36 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
This will be the small camera platform.

I'll talk to DJI about the output update rate.

Can't hurt to send them an email.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:01 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor View Post
This will be the small camera platform.

I'll talk to DJI about the output update rate.

Can't hurt to send them an email.
Yes, please do. I'll send Frank an email/PM as well, outlining what I've found in my testing.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:25 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,027 Posts
Well, I've had yet another "senior" moment, and now realize that the gimbal settings in the Assistant software let you enter values to two decimal places, not just whole numbers like I've been doing. Oh well...

Anyway, I've got them dialed in pretty close now:

F550 GoPro Gimbal Test-07.mp4 (0 min 49 sec)

I'll do another test flight now, and see if smooths things out a bit more.

-- Gary
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:31 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,027 Posts
I did a short flight test this morning, with the gains set as above, and I'm happy with how the mount is working. You can basically just glide around. I've got some blade tracking issues again, because there's now a "growl" that you can hear, which is caused by some pretty significant vibrations. The mount's vibration isolation takes care of most of this, but some is still getting through, and showing as a slight bit of "jello" in a couple spots, and some servo "chatter'..

F550 GoPro Gimbal Test-08.mp4 (4 min 13 sec)

I've just had a look, and on three of the four 9x5x3 props, at least one blade on each is curved upward a bit. I had used a heat gun the other dy to "tweak" these back straight, but they are back to being curved up again. Anyway, I have some 10x5 Graupners coming tomorrow, so I'll give them a try.

-- Gary
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:57 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Looking good Gary!

That is one drawback I had noticed with the GWS props. Tracking is inconsistent. I look forward to seeing some flights with the Graupners!
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:07 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
my shipment is going out today to those who are expecting them . my guess is that these will be available online from Gary by friday or saturday. I will be making regular shipment starting next week. First production run is always bit of trial especially concerning inventory of parts. while the supply may be bit limited early on, it should ease off as I get into the groove. I will also have pan unit available in couple weeks (first test unit will be shipping by friday to testers) I am also finishing up the design on DSLR version of the gimbal with different LG setup.

I will be working very hard to continously improve the products and produce new products that fits your need. if you have any suggestions and ideas, I will gladly help turn that into a product.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:07 PM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
my shipment is going out today to those who are expecting them . my guess is that these will be available online from Gary by friday or saturday. I will be making regular shipment starting next week. First production run is always bit of trial especially concerning inventory of parts. while the supply may be bit limited early on, it should ease off as I get into the groove. I will also have pan unit available in couple weeks (first test unit will be shipping by friday to testers) I am also finishing up the design on DSLR version of the gimbal with different LG setup.

I will be working very hard to continously improve the products and produce new products that fits your need. if you have any suggestions and ideas, I will gladly help turn that into a product.
I keep checking the mail.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post

cannot wait to try it out.... my boring field I normally fly at is going to need a change....

something more scenic
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Closed Thread