HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:51 PM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Dec 2011
332 Posts
single tube camera base plate mod

I see you made a mod to your camera base plate with a single tube. How does that work compared to the the thin double tube option. i have a ag700 and wanted to do the same thing. Where did you get the extra clamps??

thanks.
matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Furikake View Post
OK- here's today's test of the external pot.

I'll change angle calc and rate calc to 1, 0 instead of 1, 1.

This was filmed in 24p on the new Sony HDR-CX430V with BOSS.

Conditions: winds at about 9-10 mph. (raw footage of course)

https://vimeo.com/61942238

Here's some pics of it for you too. I changed the scaling to match pitch.
matthewlavin is offline Find More Posts by matthewlavin
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:17 PM
United States, OR, Keizer
Joined Jul 2012
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewlavin View Post
I see you made a mod to your camera base plate with a single tube. How does that work compared to the the thin double tube option. i have a ag700 and wanted to do the same thing. Where did you get the extra clamps??

thanks.
matthew
Hey Matthew!

The AG600 version is here-

http://tppacks.com/store/index.php?r...&product_id=63

But you can probably ask Gary and Andrey about a tube for the 700.

Works really well since it is infinitely adjustable.
Banana Furikake is online now Find More Posts by Banana Furikake
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:29 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
Is there any advantage to using the DJI Wookong - M vs the Naza on the Lobster multirotor?
No, not really. About the only reason I can see anymore, for using the WKM is if you want to use DJI's OSD setup, which requires the WKM. Personally, I'm quite happy with the TBS-modified version of the EzOSD widget. The standard one has a weak GPS system, and with three different units I was never able to get the GPS to find enough sats. With the TBS version, it locks on faster than the Naza.

Anyway, I've since pulled off the WKM on my Lobster, and am quite happy with the Naza/GPS combo.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:31 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,130 Posts
Quote:

thanks.
matthew
PM Andrey, and he can hook you up.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:37 PM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Dec 2011
332 Posts
Awe.. you guys are great.

Question- I'm getting ready to add a second remote and operator to my HFG. Do you have any suggestions on a remote? Thanks

matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
PM Andrey, and he can hook you up.
matthewlavin is offline Find More Posts by matthewlavin
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:02 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,130 Posts
Quote:
Oh- and that crayfish was amazing. For a Go-Pro it knocks the socks off of the phantom. Wow.
Yep, this is going to be fun. Just as soon as I get the Lobster/AG700/GH3 sorted, I will finish up setting my Crayfish, and get it in the air. Can't let Andrey have all the fun.

As soon as we get the new distribution boards that Andrey just finished, we can start offering these. There will be an "ARF" kit that will include 6 DJI motors, 6 DJI 18A controllers, Zinger 8x4/8x5P props and a Naza with GPS. It will also include the same very effective isolation mount we use on the Phantoms, and will be the perfect platform to carry our own AlexMos-based GoPro Hero3 Black brushless direct-drive gimbal, which I hope to be testing in about a week.

We are doing a "refresh" of the Shrimp, Lobster and Crab frame sets, mainly to take advantage of the new distribution board, which is integrated into the lower frame plates. For the Shrimp and the Crab, we will switch to tube-based arms, like the Lobster, and will have DJI-based ARF kits, but will also have upgrade kits for existing F450 (Crab...) and F550 (Shrimp...) platforms. There will be special ESC mounting plates that will be attached to the arms. This allows the DJI ESCs to be used, even with their short wires.

Quote:
A lot smoother. You should have seen Andrey's mouth just drop after he installed it and started playing with it. He was grinning ear to ear. I think it exceeded expectations.
Yes, that will be a good solution for those wanting to keep their existing HFG setups. However, I think the open-loop configuration is going to work out quite well. I did another flight, and I'm now very close. In fact, for the tilt axis, it is spot-on. I have a slight movement still in the roll axis, mainly because I think I have the P factor a bit too high. I'm going to try making it the same as the tilt value, and will try that next.

Above the roofline, there was a fair bit of gusty breezes that was causing grief for the Naza. It was struggling a bit, to hold position, and so there were lots of corrections. I wasn't aware of how much movement was going on until I saw the GoPro video, which shows a ton of movement. The only time you see anything in the GH3 video, however, is for the roll corrections. I also got a lot of wobbling, on descent, which means the Naza gains were too low. About 2/3rds through the flight, I cranked the gains up a bit (they are set to a knob...), and then it not only held position better, but it also stopped the descent wobbles.

Anyway, the video is below. I think one more PID tweak, and I'm there. One thing that is very apparent is that there is no hint of the same sort of roll jitter problem that Cedric and I were seeing before.

AG700-GH Lobster-GH3 Test-04 (4 min 26 sec)

I'm still amazed at the video quality with this camera. Extremely clear detail and the colors really pop.

-- Gary
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:05 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I am doing the developmental model of brushless yokes this week. just to get it off the ground, we've decided to use name brand motor (used in top brushless gimbal) to get some baseline work done as we wait the motor we will be using (which is coming from top of the line motor maker custom wound for us and should be even better)

I did some full throttle flying with the crayfish XD for kenji. it goes where you point at pretty well, and it can run 4S 5k pack. only thing is that the camera does have to be mounted forward, so I need to do a different mounting rail for that that uses phantm mount. thus it will almost be a nosemount, but we can easily move the battery back a bit to balance. anyway, it will have the new distroboard that we are having custom made. we've been going back and forth on what we want on it so that has delayed ordering it.

as far as external pot is concerned. I was quite surprised how smooth it was even though the gain was totally off on it. (2.5:1 ratio off ) and not tuned it at all when we first hooked it up. In many ways, this is more of a known quantity compared to open loop setup. we've always suspected that roll could be improved with external pot. (mostly because all v2.0 complaint has been about the roll, not the tilt) it is bit of work to convert it, but I think it is good option. it also allows different gear ratio without lot of fuss, which will help with heaviest load, as will the open loop version that gary is working with.

anyway, lot of stuff going on and to do XD

john and kenji, let me know what you decide on meet and greet
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Mar 16, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:51 PM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
1,050 Posts
Hey Gary/Andre, how do I install the 2 2.5k resistors in the servos? I'm gonna give that a go. Do I solder them to the wires that normally go to the internal pot in the servo?
isaacintheclouds is online now Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:17 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
on the external pot servo, you just add dual 2.5k in lieu of the pot. on the standard servo, it is much easier to remove the mechanical pot turner plastic piece unless you want to mod the servo and get it like the external pot servo. look at my blog post on modifying bls950 for external pot.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:57 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,779 Posts
Guys I bought some square sorbathane pads. You think I should stick some on the quad arms and under the hfg mounting plate? Might help with vibration?
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:02 PM
Joined May 2011
1,050 Posts
Oh I see, we just make it so the internal pot no longer turns with the gear. Cool. I saved some pots from some bls950s that I fried a while back so I should be able to re-install one of those on the tilt servo and center it, minus the mech. limit pin and plastic pot driver gear, ditto for roll. Then mount the HFG to the bottom of the camera tray, set it to continuous rotation and start playing with the PID gains...
Hopefully Gary will have the optimum settings figured out soon so I can copy them.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:09 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
yup. that is it very easy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:19 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,987 Posts
For the GH3 users is there special cable that you are using the get the video from the camera to the video tx? If so where did you get it. I've been using a similar cable i got from ReadyMadeRC for the Gopro 3. Also, for those using two cameras (small FPV and GH2/3) what is your setup? I'm using a Spektrum 2.4 DX-8, so my video would have to be on 5.8Ghz and 900Mhz. Thanks
gromitvt10 is offline Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:23 AM
Joined May 2011
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitvt10 View Post
For the GH3 users is there special cable that you are using the get the video from the camera to the video tx? If so where did you get it. I've been using a similar cable i got from ReadyMadeRC for the Gopro 3. Also, for those using two cameras (small FPV and GH2/3) what is your setup? I'm using a Spektrum 2.4 DX-8, so my video would have to be on 5.8Ghz and 900Mhz. Thanks
For FPV video from GH3/GH2/NEX5/7, you need a converter from HDMI to composite. 20 or 30 bucks. I use one just like this. I didnt get it at this site, but thats the thing you will need to get video from the cameras HDMI output to your Vtx. Also there is a place you can get HDMI cables with a 90 degree bend in them named Zacuto USA if you need it for clearance on the gimbal. It will need to be male mini HDMI to regular male HDMI.

Hope this helps.

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...ource%3Dfghdac
Last edited by isaacintheclouds; Mar 17, 2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:59 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
803 Posts
Quote:
Awe.. you guys are great.

Question- I'm getting ready to add a second remote and operator to my HFG. Do you have any suggestions on a remote? Thanks

matthew
Matthew, I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but, I have my original Y-hex and AG600 set up as a two man or one man operation (goofy set-up, but it works.) -- I am also just setting up a new hex the right way for a two man or one man operation. Will be using another of the AG gimbals (not sure which one) If you want to call me and talk, my number is (360) 490-0504. I'll share what I can. -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Closed Thread