HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:20 PM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitvt10 View Post
Due to an issue with my HFG i have to run it at 6.3 volts for it to work properly, So i have my CC BEC dial in at 6.3. I've got jitters in the servos when i move the gimbal side to side quickly but slow movement is OK. Still haven't heard back from HF on whether or not they will be sending me a new board but i've got it working for now. Although i don't want the AG600 running on more than 6v for too long.
Hmm. My HFG has done some strange things recently, like if I go into the PID settings it wont let me set anything and after a few tries it gives me a weird error message. I used to be able to mess around with the PID just fine, although the HF tech guy Ben says the pid settings are only for continuous rotation servos. I have a DE sportbec ordered up to see if my CCBEC was spiking like Andre said. Will post results...
isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:42 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,406 Posts
Are we using position or continuous rotation servos?
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:55 AM
Destroyer of G-10
Joined Jul 2004
10,036 Posts
position

as far as 800hz is concerned, that is how fast the hfg sensor loop is running. in most controller, sensor loop and the output loop is the same. of course, what they do with the data is also very important.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fun in the snow
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:08 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitvt10 View Post
Due to an issue with my HFG i have to run it at 6.3 volts for it to work properly, So i have my CC BEC dial in at 6.3. I've got jitters in the servos when i move the gimbal side to side quickly but slow movement is OK. Still haven't heard back from HF on whether or not they will be sending me a new board but i've got it working for now. Although i don't want the AG600 running on more than 6v for too long.
This is what i got back from HF today:

"I was able to speak to the engineer today regarding your reset issue. The cut-off value is not something that is alterable; the HoverflyGIMBAL requires a minimum of 6v to operate. If you are seeing the voltage drop 5.88v, then you need to supply a little more power.

I've asked the engineer to weigh in here regarding the possibility of running the power at 6.4v and what effect that might have one your servos."

I'm not sure how everyone else is running a 6v BEC and not having any issues I guess i'll have to stick with my 6.3v setup and hope the servos can handle it in the long run.
gromitvt10 is offline Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:48 PM
Destroyer of G-10
Joined Jul 2004
10,036 Posts
unless your bec is not supplying 6v or get easily depressed to sub 5.9, i just don't see why this would be an issue. I know that you've tried several bec including CC one at higher than 6v.

This really tells me that you have defective board. (may be one component that is marginal) in the voltage input circuit. I will ask gary to talk to HF about this.

bls950 is designed for 6v use. they will run at higher voltage, but they do jitter and it is hard on the amplifer as you could easily push it beyond spec/blow it if you put heavy load on the servo. (ie stall condition)
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fun in the snow
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined May 2011
976 Posts
"I was able to speak to the engineer today regarding your reset issue. The cut-off value is not something that is alterable; the HoverflyGIMBAL requires a minimum of 6v to operate. If you are seeing the voltage drop 5.88v, then you need to supply a little more power.

Hmmm. How then is mine able to run at 4.8v? Either my BEC is putting out more power than it says,(Ill check it), or I too have a defective HFG board.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:20 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,879 Posts
I just called and left a scathing message for Ben, the nine-year old running Customer Service. This is complete BS. The board is bad, plain and simple. We have a hundred systems out there that work fine, even on 5V, so this is just a complete load of crap. If I don't get a call back today, and/or an email notice of a new board being shipped to you, I will send you a new one myself, and then my next call will be to Al or Stacey.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined May 2011
976 Posts
checked my voltage on my CCBEC. It was jumping beteen 6v and 6.1v. With a different CCBEC that doesnt jump between 6 and 6.1v it still was jittering until I turned it down to 4.8v and even then I can see smaller jitter, not as bad as at 6v. and that was using a 7.4v 2s lipo plugged into an lc filter then to the bec. then to the HFG. Ill try to send my HFG back to HF.

(I assume Gary was referring to gromitvt10 abut sending a new board out...)

Cheers!
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:52 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
I just called and left a scathing message for Ben, the nine-year old running Customer Service. This is complete BS. The board is bad, plain and simple. We have a hundred systems out there that work fine, even on 5V, so this is just a complete load of crap. If I don't get a call back today, and/or an email notice of a new board being shipped to you, I will send you a new one myself, and then my next call will be to Al or Stacey.

-- Gary
Thanks Gary, not sure why there is so much pushback from them on this issue.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:36 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,406 Posts
wow that snake river filter adapter is super nice and easy to use
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:32 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
734 Posts
Which battery pack is the best for F550 with 2216-12 motors, 30A esc and 10" props to carry gopro + gimbal ?
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:59 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadslo View Post
Which battery pack is the best for F550 with 2216-12 motors, 30A esc and 10" props to carry gopro + gimbal ?
I'm using a Turnigy Nano-tech 4s 5000 45C, getting about 6 1/2 minutes with all the upgrades. Mine weighs almost 7lbs. I'm going to start using two 4s 3300 packs in parallel and see how much time i get.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:12 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
wow that snake river filter adapter is super nice and easy to use
Yes, they are pretty slick, for sure. It is such a perfect fit that it creates a bit of suction, making it harder to take off, once it is on.

Which filter are you using? I've been using a 4X ND. It seems to work well, even on very bright sunny days.
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:30 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,373 Posts
I ordered the Polarpro filters polarizar for GoPro Hero 3. I ordered it near their preorder cutoff, so not sure if I'm getting one this week or next, but I'll let you guys know how it goes. I do like how the snake river lets you use your own filters. I might have to get one of those as well!

http://www.polarprofilters.com/shop/...larizerfilter/

On a totally different note, I went to fly my Lobster yesterday and all of a sudden the roll servo wouldn't move. I flew it a few days earlier and it worked fine. I plug the hoverfly into my computer and the hoverfly board deactivated the roll servo ( all settings at 0 and no power), but tilt works fine. I try to turn it back on in the software, but nothing works. Finally I have to do a factory reset, which I had to do 3 times before the roll channel started working again. This board as been great up until this, but I hate when electronics just randomly stop functioning as they were before. After another hour of redoing my settings (WHY CAN'T YOU EXPORT OR IMPORT BINARY FILES!), I think it's back to working close to how I had it before. I'll go fly it in my back yard and do some tests. I went to Mode 1 and changed my scaling to what Cid had to see how that works. If it gives me any problems, I'm going back to 1.03!
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:10 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Yes, they are pretty slick, for sure. It is such a perfect fit that it creates a bit of suction, making it harder to take off, once it is on.

Which filter are you using? I've been using a 4X ND. It seems to work well, even on very bright sunny days.
i use a range of tiffen 55mm filters. i'll experiment mid day to see what gives best results. today is a flop, big winds

Actually wind died a little still pretty heavy but I got in a quick flight. the filter really works Ill post a clips soon.
Last edited by Wingbreaker; Mar 07, 2013 at 01:21 PM.