SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:16 AM
Joined Mar 2012
819 Posts
Interesting to see what computer setups all you guys are running. That's a monster rig Matt!

I haven't updated in a while so I'm still on a watercooled 2600K i7 with GTX570, 8gb Ram and SSD. I use my laptop for editing a lot too with i7 2670qm, gt635m, 8GB and a hybrid Momentus XT SSD/HDD.
I mainly use Vegas 12 but sometimes switch to Premiere CS6 for Warp stab when I'm not happy with Mercalli...

Gary, I'm looking forward to your footage with the GH3 and can't wait for the rest of the parts from Andrey Since we will basically have the same setup maybe we can share HFG settings... It looks like my spreadsheet has not been updated in a while so I will post again:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VakE2OUE#gid=0

I would also be interested in your magic bullet settings for lens correction with the gopro if you don't mind sharing, I can't seem to get good results with it...

Cheers,

Cedric.

ps. Andrey, I received the beefier arms (the one for the pot was fine but I had to drill the holes in another one) for the AG700 and doubled up the plates that attach to the metal tube until I get the CF one. If weather permits I will test fly tomorrow and let you know how it goes with the GH3...
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:29 AM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
Just curious why you don't just want to plug a BEC directly from the main pack to power your gimbal? There really is no need for all of the extra weight and shorten flight times that a separate battery pack would give. I prefer the Castle Creations BEC as they aren't very expensive, can step down voltage from a 2-6s pack and you can adjust the output voltage from 4.8 to 9 volts in .1 volt increments.

The battery drain from the main pack is pretty small, if you go with a separate pack, a 2s 800-1000 should get you quite a few flights.
I plan on using the seperate battery to also power my LED lights, Pico FPV camera and tx, and the AG600. I didn't want my main battery to power everything, hence the required 3s size. Thanks for the advice though.

On another note i have Photoshop CS6, its quite overwhelming with everything you can do with it. You should post a video tutorial on how to get the best clips from using it I also use Sony Vegas Pro.
gromitvt10 is offline Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:35 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Holy crap, Matt! I didn't want to go back to a Windows-based machine, but I just might have to, if I can't get something close that will run OS 10.7. I ran across this paper on optimizing hardware performance for CS6 yesterday, and one thing that will definitely help is a higher-end Nvidia card. It also talks about SSD drives a bit, so I might try that route as well. Fifteen minute renders is insanely fast. You've ruined me now.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:37 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Quote:
Just curious why you don't just want to plug a BEC directly from the main pack to power your gimbal? There really is no need for all of the extra weight and shorten flight times that a separate battery pack would give. I prefer the Castle Creations BEC as they aren't very expensive, can step down voltage from a 2-6s pack and you can adjust the output voltage from 4.8 to 9 volts in .1 volt increments.

The battery drain from the main pack is pretty small, if you go with a separate pack, a 2s 800-1000 should get you quite a few flights.
Yes, I was wondering this as well. Definitely no need for a separate pack.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:42 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,733 Posts
other thing that helps export time in cs6 is to queue timeline in media encoder the shut premiere as premiere uses media encoder to export anyway. if you do it this way ppro doesnt use mem in background. ssd is big timesaver i have one on my hack. mpeg streamclip rips stuff up on ssd fast encodes
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:02 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
Interesting to see what computer setups all you guys are running. That's a monster rig Matt!

I haven't updated in a while so I'm still on a watercooled 2600K i7 with GTX570, 8gb Ram and SSD. I use my laptop for editing a lot too with i7 2670qm, gt635m, 8GB and a hybrid Momentus XT SSD/HDD.
I mainly use Vegas 12 but sometimes switch to Premiere CS6 for Warp stab when I'm not happy with Mercalli...

Gary, I'm looking forward to your footage with the GH3 and can't wait for the rest of the parts from Andrey Since we will basically have the same setup maybe we can share HFG settings... It looks like my spreadsheet has not been updated in a while so I will post again:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VakE2OUE#gid=0

I would also be interested in your magic bullet settings for lens correction with the gopro if you don't mind sharing, I can't seem to get good results with it...

Cheers,

Cedric.

ps. Andrey, I received the beefier arms (the one for the pot was fine but I had to drill the holes in another one) for the AG700 and doubled up the plates that attach to the metal tube until I get the CF one. If weather permits I will test fly tomorrow and let you know how it goes with the GH3...
Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing what this camera can do as well. I'm just now updating the HFG firmware to v1.9, and I will try and get all the settings dialed in as close as I can before get it in the air. I will post the settings. BTW, what settings are you using for the GH3? I've attached what I use for Looks, with the Hero3 Black's 2.7k mode.

The stiffer arms, and the thicker/stiffer roll plate gets rid of the last little bit of flex in the gimbal portion. The four-post silicon grommet plate, which you will get tomorrow, I think, should eliminate the rest of the flexing I saw in your video. The only movement mine has now is from the silicon isolators, which is what you want.

-- Gary
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:34 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
other thing that helps export time in cs6 is to queue timeline in media encoder the shut premiere as premiere uses media encoder to export anyway. if you do it this way ppro doesnt use mem in background. ssd is big timesaver i have one on my hack. mpeg streamclip rips stuff up on ssd fast encodes
How do you do this??
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:25 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitvt10 View Post
I plan on using the seperate battery to also power my LED lights, Pico FPV camera and tx, and the AG600. I didn't want my main battery to power everything, hence the required 3s size. Thanks for the advice though.

On another note i have Photoshop CS6, its quite overwhelming with everything you can do with it. You should post a video tutorial on how to get the best clips from using it I also use Sony Vegas Pro.
Ahh, I see. Let me tell you my setup, which has all similar stuff, but with only 1 battery for the full copter. I run a CC BEC set to 6v for the gimbal and HF controller. I run my Hobby King strip LED's directly off the 4s pack. They are rated for 3S max and get a bit hot, but they have not burned out for a few hundred flights between my lobster and the F550 I had them on before. And they are REALLY bright. For my Sony 12v in board cam, I run a inline stepup 12v regulator: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=316

This way I can use the 5v power out of my immersion 5.8 VTX and up the voltage inline to 12v for the board camera. You can also buy 12v out regulators from Hobbyking or this one from DPCAV that is variable to power a 12v board cam: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Adjustabl...Step-Down.html

My NEX is powered by it's own battery and it also powers the HDMI coverter, so it doesn't have any power out, just signal. I run a 2 way switch between my NEX and Sony board cam, so if my NEX battery dies or the camera sensor overheats (which it does from time to time), I'm not SOL.

Anyway, just by adding a BEC and step up voltage board, I was able to eliminate needing the weight of an extra battery.

I've been using photoshop sense photoshop 3, so each upgrade has been manageable. Learning video editing has been more work. And trying to figure out After Effects, oh man. I did a lot of youtube searches for tutorials for premiere and after effects and there are a ton of them posted. If you want the best photoshop tutorails, join NAPP (national associations of photoshop professionals). You get a subscription to photoshop user magazine and access to their site where there are hundreds of great tutorials. You also get a bunch of discounts at Adobe, Apple, BH photo and other places. Check it out at: http://photoshopuser.com/
Daloaf is online now Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daloaf; Feb 24, 2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:46 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Holy crap, Matt! I didn't want to go back to a Windows-based machine, but I just might have to, if I can't get something close that will run OS 10.7. I ran across this paper on optimizing hardware performance for CS6 yesterday, and one thing that will definitely help is a higher-end Nvidia card. It also talks about SSD drives a bit, so I might try that route as well. Fifteen minute renders is insanely fast. You've ruined me now.

-- Gary
I was more of a Mac fan before windows 7 came out. Windows 7 is a really nice, easy to use OS. When I built my new computer a few weeks ago, I got Windows 8 and it's a pain in the a** by default. On a desktop, I don't want all of the crappy touch screen features that are on by default. But with a little searching on google, you can find all of the hacks to get it working just like windows 7, but with some upgraded performance features.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:32 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Quote:
I was more of a Mac fan before windows 7 came out. Windows 7 is a really nice, easy to use OS. When I built my new computer a few weeks ago, I got Windows 8 and it's a pain in the a** by default. On a desktop, I don't want all of the crappy touch screen features that are on by default. But with a little searching on google, you can find all of the hacks to get it working just like windows 7, but with some upgraded performance features.
Well, I guess I'm sold. I can zip over to Fry's and put together a Win-7 machine, and have a lot more choices for Nvidia cards, and i7 6-core processor options, not to mention SSD and RAID 0 HD choices. I'm pretty much going to dedicate this as an edit-only machine, that I will use with Premiere Pro. I assume it will work in Win 7 the same way in does in OS X?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
819 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing what this camera can do as well. I'm just now updating the HFG firmware to v1.9, and I will try and get all the settings dialed in as close as I can before get it in the air. I will post the settings. BTW, what settings are you using for the GH3? I've attached what I use for Looks, with the Hero3 Black's 2.7k mode.

The stiffer arms, and the thicker/stiffer roll plate gets rid of the last little bit of flex in the gimbal portion. The four-post silicon grommet plate, which you will get tomorrow, I think, should eliminate the rest of the flexing I saw in your video. The only movement mine has now is from the silicon isolators, which is what you want.

-- Gary
Thanks a lot for the screenshots Gary!
New mods sound very promising and hopefully I do get the rest of the parts tomorrow.

I haven't really decided on settings with the GH3 yet...
I will try iAuto with AF because it is supposed to be amazing with this cam/lens combo, but will probably go manual on everything and start with Shutter speed around 1/60 and Aperture around 11/13.
I also want to see if there is a noticeable difference between both 60p recording modes (AVCHD 28mbps and MOV 50mbps)... I'll let you know what preferred settings are after a few test flights

Have you found anything on the remote shutter side by the way?
I wonder if this would work: http://www.flytron.com/rc-shutters/1...c-shutter.html

-- Cedric
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:34 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
Thanks a lot for the screenshots Gary!
New mods sound very promising and hopefully I do get the rest of the parts tomorrow.

I haven't really decided on settings with the GH3 yet...
I will try iAuto with AF because it is supposed to be amazing with this cam/lens combo, but will probably go manual on everything and start with Shutter speed around 1/60 and Aperture around 11/13.
I also want to see if there is a noticeable difference between both 60p recording modes (AVCHD 28mbps and MOV 50mbps)... I'll let you know what preferred settings are after a few test flights

Have you found anything on the remote shutter side by the way?
I wonder if this would work: http://www.flytron.com/rc-shutters/1...c-shutter.html

-- Cedric
Well, it says it will work on the GH1/2, plus pretty much every other Panasonic model, so my guess is yes. The GH3 has the 2.5mm Remote port.

I want to see the difference between the 1080/60p 50MHz MOV mode and the 72MHz 1080/30p MOV mode, which uses all I-frames (less compression = higher quality...).

What I still also need to do is figure out what I will do with the video out, for the VTx. I ordered the Panasonic analog video cable, but it supposedly will be three weeks before it will even ship. I might try another cable from one of my older cameras, that has the same type connector, or I might go the HDMI convertor route. I'll figure all that out once I get the initial flight tests out of the way.

-- Gary
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:20 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Well, I guess I'm sold. I can zip over to Fry's and put together a Win-7 machine, and have a lot more choices for Nvidia cards, and i7 6-core processor options, not to mention SSD and RAID 0 HD choices. I'm pretty much going to dedicate this as an edit-only machine, that I will use with Premiere Pro. I assume it will work in Win 7 the same way in does in OS X?
You will have to buy a windows version of Premiere pro, but otherwise, it should work the same. Premiere is nice in that it takes advantage of all 6 cores as well as dumping some processing off on the video card. Also get as much ram as you can and you will be set. When researching motherboards, you'll notice some boards can support 32gb and some can support 64gb of ram, just in case you want to upgrade in the future. Check out ram speeds if you plan on overclocking the whole system. And finally, I like the corsair water coolers. They are fairly inexpensive, pretty easy to install, self contained and keep your CPU temps down. The H80 will fit in most cases and the H100 in full tower cases with 2 120mm fan slots on the back or top.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:42 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,521 Posts
Gary, just for fun, I re-rendered the motorcross video I took a few weeks ago. The video is 3:18 long, has warp stabilization in about half the clips, has slowmo in 2 clips, color correction and unsharp mask in all clips and a few cross fade transitions. The input video was 1080p 60p, the output video was 1080p 30fps H.264. Total render time was 2:31.

Dirt Bikes from Above - TPPacks Lobster Y-6, AG600 and DJI Naza (3 min 18 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:54 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
Quote:
How do you do this??
What he means is, (assuming that mac is the same) that when you click to export the video, and then the video export dialog box comes up, that instead of clicking the "export" button at the bottom, that you click the "Queue" button. That launches Adobe Media Encoder and gives you a few more options. Now you can close "Premiere" and render right from Media Encoder. I always queue to Media Encoder. It is easy to just click and drag any of the "presets" from the right side of the screen and just drop them onto your premiere file on the left side of the screen. -- I don't bother closing "Premiere" first tho. It theoretically might speed my renders a little, but I think it would be insignificant. -- JOHN
digitalCAM is online now Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Closed Thread