SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:14 PM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
HF is pusher on top and tractor on bottom, but it does make more sense to go the other way (as prop nut direction would cause it to loosen the way HF has it, but it make sense why it was done, as there were less pusher props available)

of course, in Y6, it is easy to swap. you just have to make sure pusher goes into pusher channel and tractor goes into tractor channel.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Feb 12, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:56 PM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
Another video shot from my Lobster and AG600 with a Sony NEX 5N. These guys happened to be riding motocross style dirt bikes at one of the local rogue flying fields, so I got their permission to fly and film them. In about half the clips, I used the Warp Stabilizer in premiere to clean up any little bounces, the other half were pretty much perfect. Actually almost all of the clips were pretty good to start. If you look at the dust spot, you can see how little it moves. I hate how I keep cleaning that sensor and more dust always seems to find it's way on to the sensor, even when taking off from pavement or from a tarp. I'm going to start bring a cleaning kit to the field with me I think.

Although you don't see it in the video, my roll servo is acting up again. But now I'm not sure if it's a HF gimbal or servo issue. The roll servo will start wobbling back and forth rapidly, increasing in speed. If I pan the craft left or right to force the roll servo to go to max throw, it will stop for a for a minute (or a few seconds sometimes) and then start again. Some flights it will barely do it, others it will do it non stop. Because it's variable, I'm starting to wonder if it's the HF gimbal controller that's causing the problem. I'm going to try and recalibrate it and see if that helps. I also have another BLS950 that I'll swap in as well. At least the tilt servo has been perfect. Anyway, the servo's just have to hold me over for 6 months or so when the brushless setups are available.

Anyway, the Lobster is flying amazingly well, I love this copter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlSG0TbaBE

nice video again wow.

I am starting to believe that it is the internal pot that may be the issue on those servo with jitters. I know for a fact that I've had lot less issues with external modified servos.

I may have to figure out a way to mount the external pot on the roll.

I know everyone think direct drive brushless gimbal will be a panacea for AV, and it does have some advantages. it also comes with some major disadvantges, which is why zenmuse is the way it is. In some way, i actually think belt drive brushless motor gimbal may be a great compromise that gives best of both world. it is something for me to think about and test.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:45 AM
Registered User
gww528's Avatar
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
Another video shot from my Lobster and AG600 with a Sony NEX 5N. These guys happened to be riding motocross style dirt bikes at one of the local rogue flying fields, so I got their permission to fly and film them. In about half the clips, I used the Warp Stabilizer in premiere to clean up any little bounces, the other half were pretty much perfect. Actually almost all of the clips were pretty good to start. If you look at the dust spot, you can see how little it moves. I hate how I keep cleaning that sensor and more dust always seems to find it's way on to the sensor, even when taking off from pavement or from a tarp. I'm going to start bring a cleaning kit to the field with me I think.

Although you don't see it in the video, my roll servo is acting up again. But now I'm not sure if it's a HF gimbal or servo issue. The roll servo will start wobbling back and forth rapidly, increasing in speed. If I pan the craft left or right to force the roll servo to go to max throw, it will stop for a for a minute (or a few seconds sometimes) and then start again. Some flights it will barely do it, others it will do it non stop. Because it's variable, I'm starting to wonder if it's the HF gimbal controller that's causing the problem. I'm going to try and recalibrate it and see if that helps. I also have another BLS950 that I'll swap in as well. At least the tilt servo has been perfect. Anyway, the servo's just have to hold me over for 6 months or so when the brushless setups are available.

Anyway, the Lobster is flying amazingly well, I love this copter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlSG0TbaBE
I am installing the HF gimbal controller and also had trouble with the wobbling back and forth rapidly (not on the AG gimbals). I removed the nylon supports that the HF board sits on and just using the grommets. That seem to help the shakes on Photoship one 3X gimbal. Needs more testing. It may be a solution for you...
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:30 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
81 Posts
That's very stable! What firmware are you running on your HFG board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
Another video shot from my Lobster and AG600 with a Sony NEX 5N. These guys happened to be riding motocross style dirt bikes at one of the local rogue flying fields, so I got their permission to fly and film them. In about half the clips, I used the Warp Stabilizer in premiere to clean up any little bounces, the other half were pretty much perfect. Actually almost all of the clips were pretty good to start. If you look at the dust spot, you can see how little it moves. I hate how I keep cleaning that sensor and more dust always seems to find it's way on to the sensor, even when taking off from pavement or from a tarp. I'm going to start bring a cleaning kit to the field with me I think.

Although you don't see it in the video, my roll servo is acting up again. But now I'm not sure if it's a HF gimbal or servo issue. The roll servo will start wobbling back and forth rapidly, increasing in speed. If I pan the craft left or right to force the roll servo to go to max throw, it will stop for a for a minute (or a few seconds sometimes) and then start again. Some flights it will barely do it, others it will do it non stop. Because it's variable, I'm starting to wonder if it's the HF gimbal controller that's causing the problem. I'm going to try and recalibrate it and see if that helps. I also have another BLS950 that I'll swap in as well. At least the tilt servo has been perfect. Anyway, the servo's just have to hold me over for 6 months or so when the brushless setups are available.

Anyway, the Lobster is flying amazingly well, I love this copter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlSG0TbaBE
jimbril is online now Find More Posts by jimbril
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:33 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
Daloaf's Avatar
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
nice video again wow.

I am starting to believe that it is the internal pot that may be the issue on those servo with jitters. I know for a fact that I've had lot less issues with external modified servos.

I may have to figure out a way to mount the external pot on the roll.

I know everyone think direct drive brushless gimbal will be a panacea for AV, and it does have some advantages. it also comes with some major disadvantges, which is why zenmuse is the way it is. In some way, i actually think belt drive brushless motor gimbal may be a great compromise that gives best of both world. it is something for me to think about and test.
Yep, this is my second BLS with issues, so I'll try to eliminate any issues from the HF gimbal controller first. Re calibrate, maybe try to remove the nylon spaces as GWW recommends. If that doesn't work, I'll swap out the current servo for the one I got back from MKS and see if it's better.

I think brushless gimbals are going to take over, but I think you might be right, that for larger cameras, a brushless motor/belt drive setup might be in order. It's hard to beat how smooth and fast the brushless gimbals are. Once you figure out a good setup Andrey, you know we will be all over it!
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:34 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
Daloaf's Avatar
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbril View Post
That's very stable! What firmware are you running on your HFG board?
I'm still running 1.03. I haven't seen anything in the newer firmware's that has been an improvement over this one. And they still have yet to fix the tilting horizon when you yaw. But overall, I still happy with this controller.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:36 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
81 Posts
"...major disadvantages...which is why zenmuse is the way it is...", what do you mean by that Andrey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
nice video again wow.

I am starting to believe that it is the internal pot that may be the issue on those servo with jitters. I know for a fact that I've had lot less issues with external modified servos.

I may have to figure out a way to mount the external pot on the roll.

I know everyone think direct drive brushless gimbal will be a panacea for AV, and it does have some advantages. it also comes with some major disadvantges, which is why zenmuse is the way it is. In some way, i actually think belt drive brushless motor gimbal may be a great compromise that gives best of both world. it is something for me to think about and test.
jimbril is online now Find More Posts by jimbril
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:54 AM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbril View Post
"...major disadvantages...which is why zenmuse is the way it is...", what do you mean by that Andrey?
What he means is that there pretty much has to be a different model of Zenmuse for each camera type, and/or lens combo. The reason is that the motors used in these direct-drive applications have almost no torque, so what they have to do is make sure the camera/lense combo is perfectly balanced, so that there's not a big load put on the motor.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:02 AM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
exactly, you need perfect balance, so setup become very important. , you need HDMI and any option built in to the system (like video downlink cable) has to be such that it causes no drag. (why zenmuse has it built in)

zenmuse runs on under 15 oz-in of torque(at 24v). while bls950 at 2.8:1 on 6v is about 400ozin of torque. frankly, servo motor in direct drive is also very inefficient torquewise. perfectly balanced/drag free system can run on 15oz-in of torque but gosh, it is support nightmare if you want more generic system for lot of camera.

anyway, all we are looking for is faster response is all. we will come up with best system for our customers that push the performance while maintaining ease of use.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:25 PM
Registered User
jeff2215's Avatar
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,070 Posts
Man, all I have to say is I love my Shrimp :-)

Took it to the beach today and got a chance to really stretch its wings for the first time. Winter has just been so cold and windy. This thing flies so smooth. When I flipped on the GPS switch it didn't budge an inch. Just hovered. I have had other copters that I could never get to fly half as good. This thing is a blast flying FPV. I can't wait to sling a gimbal on this. I did strap my gopro on underneath and it actually wasn't too bad. Can't wait to get back out there. Great work guys.
jeff2215 is offline Find More Posts by jeff2215
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:12 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2011
58 Posts
Askman, been tryin to place an order for the Lobster. It wont let me order. Is there a problem with the website?
pcassociate is offline Find More Posts by pcassociate
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:19 PM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcassociate View Post
Askman, been tryin to place an order for the Lobster. It wont let me order. Is there a problem with the website?
Nope, shouldn't be a problem. They are in stock. Your going here, correct?

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:27 PM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I will ask gary to look at his website and see what is up with lobster order.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:07 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2011
58 Posts
Yes Gary, keep hitting "add to cart" then when i go to checkout cart is empty.
pcassociate is offline Find More Posts by pcassociate
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:14 PM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcassociate View Post
Yes Gary, keep hitting "add to cart" then when i go to checkout cart is empty.
Hmm... I just tried it and it worked fine. Not sure what is happening. Maybe try it from a different computer?

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Sony Nex 5n aerial samples. jeffscholl Aerial Photography 1470 Oct 24, 2014 02:16 AM
Discussion DJI WK-M - Droidworx Hex Build Huddo Multirotor Talk 41 Dec 31, 2011 08:58 AM
Discussion Sony NEX 5N raw video footage SeismicCWave Multirotor Talk 5 Nov 17, 2011 01:10 AM
Discussion Which is best: "Sony Nex 5" or "Panasonic GH2"? babanan Aerial Photography 6 Sep 08, 2011 05:27 PM
Discussion What gyros to use on a 2 Axis camera gimbal? Voguna Aerial Photography 0 Mar 13, 2011 12:51 PM