HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:42 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
gary has set of 400kv pancakes (sunnysky 3508) that he want to run on the x8, but I don't see it being an issue. it is very stiff frame. CC frame is very good frame (pim nuts were bit painful, but I guess they come factory installed now) i think weight will be similar by the time you add the LG/isolation though even though CC frame itself is lighter. lobster is bit heavier in the frame, but integrated LG/isolation system saves weight of external lg.

frankly, y6 is y6. as long as it is stiff and reasonably light they should fly the same.
You are a true gentleman Andrey

@Trulsen
@pcassociate

We are doing a monster build right now using the MT3520 motors and they are the most powerfull RCT has. It should be a monster.
Retracts and everything-> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1828385
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:55 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,406 Posts
Check this out.
Black Magic Cinema Camera on an RC Helicopter (1 min 31 sec)

The latitude is nuts on the BMC. He points it straight at the sun and the light fall off is incredible. It doesn't look much better than go pro 2.7k besides the latitude and fisheye distortion though. It is a quite a heavy camera. But well worth $3k if you got the bucks. They are starting to show up at adorama and bh. Will your Y6 pull this?
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:10 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
Check this out. http://vimeo.com/58722473

The latitude is nuts on the BMC. He points it straight at the sun and the light fall off is incredible. It doesn't look much better than go pro 2.7k besides the latitude and fisheye distortion though. It is a quite a heavy camera. But well worth $3k if you got the bucks. They are starting to show up at adorama and bh. Will your Y6 pull this?
Nice. 13 stops of dynamic range is pretty crazy, for sure. It will fit on the AG700, no problem, and with the right motors and props, I think the Lobster can lift it. The total weight, with a lens, is going to be around 4 pounds. A better choice, however, I think will be the King Crab, which is a bit bigger than the Lobster and is in an X8 configuration. I have some 3508 400kV pancake motors that Andrey got me for the KC setup, and some 13" Zingers. The Black Magic is exactly the camera i had in mind for it.

I have a new GH3 coming any day now, along with the 12-35 f/2.8 lens, that will go on my Lobster/AG700, which I will get back to testing later this week.

For those that don't follow the fast-moving Phantom thread, attached are a few shots of the new tilt-only gimbal we are testing for the Phantom. I've had really good luck using 2.7k footage with Mercalli to remove platform roll movements, but it doesn't work anywhere near as well with the tilt axis, hence the tilt-only gimbal variant. We had to get pretty creative to get everything to fit in the footprint between the LG, but Andrey managed to squeeze it all in. I'm driving it using the Naza tilt gimbal output, which is not the smoothest, but it looks like what little Mercalli does do in the tilt axis might be enough to smooth out the video. To get a bit more lift (the AUW of this setup is alb 12.5oz/1262g...), I'm using 9x4 Zingers. With the first test flights I've done, the motors run cool, which was a bit of a surprise because the Phantoms can only run on 3s.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:42 AM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,061 Posts
What lens is everyone using with the Nex5? Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Nex5. Was considering the Rx100 too. Last minute thoughts?
jeff2215 is offline Find More Posts by jeff2215
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:21 AM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2011
58 Posts
What is the ETA on the KingCrab being available?
pcassociate is offline Find More Posts by pcassociate
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:05 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Nice. 13 stops of dynamic range is pretty crazy, for sure. It will fit on the AG700, no problem, and with the right motors and props, I think the Lobster can lift it. The total weight, with a lens, is going to be around 4 pounds. A better choice, however, I think will be the King Crab, which is a bit bigger than the Lobster and is in an X8 configuration. I have some 3508 400kV pancake motors that Andrey got me for the KC setup, and some 13" Zingers. The Black Magic is exactly the camera i had in mind for it.

I have a new GH3 coming any day now, along with the 12-35 f/2.8 lens, that will go on my Lobster/AG700, which I will get back to testing later this week.

For those that don't follow the fast-moving Phantom thread, attached are a few shots of the new tilt-only gimbal we are testing for the Phantom. I've had really good luck using 2.7k footage with Mercalli to remove platform roll movements, but it doesn't work anywhere near as well with the tilt axis, hence the tilt-only gimbal variant. We had to get pretty creative to get everything to fit in the footprint between the LG, but Andrey managed to squeeze it all in. I'm driving it using the Naza tilt gimbal output, which is not the smoothest, but it looks like what little Mercalli does do in the tilt axis might be enough to smooth out the video. To get a bit more lift (the AUW of this setup is alb 12.5oz/1262g...), I'm using 9x4 Zingers. With the first test flights I've done, the motors run cool, which was a bit of a surprise because the Phantoms can only run on 3s.

-- Gary
Do you have any info on the 13" Zingers? Pitch, weight, availability? I am thinking of changing out my banged up APC setup on one of my rigs. Thanks!
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:04 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcassociate View Post
What is the ETA on the KingCrab being available?
+1

Considering my new build. Weather in the 80's here already is making me freak out about my heavy F550 with DJI motors. Parts list is being considered now. I don't need a rig that big but what the hey, I can always add more weight/cameras/firearms
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:31 PM
Destroyer of G-10
Joined Jul 2004
10,036 Posts
I have 13x4 tractor and 13x5 pusher on hand. I can get 13x5 tractor as well. daolof has used these before on his hengli pancake. f30a with wiiesc/falco firmware did get bit warm for his liking and he has gone to smaller prop.

price is 5.35 for tractor and 6.35 for pusher. I will weigh them.

in terms of availability. it is just a a frame. quad form of lobster with 8 grommettes. we can do a run if people want them. lobster is good enough for most heavy load, so have not had real call for heavier setup.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fun in the snow
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:04 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post

-- Gary
Oh man the phantom rig is really cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2215 View Post
What lens is everyone using with the Nex5? Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Nex5. Was considering the Rx100 too. Last minute thoughts?

Voightlander wide primes with an adapter are the best option.
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:57 PM
The Aerial Ninja
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Mar 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Oh man the phantom rig is really cool

Voightlander wide primes with an adapter are the best option.
i agree windbreaker ....... well built and weight is managable.
red1one is offline Find More Posts by red1one
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:59 PM
The Aerial Ninja
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Mar 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Check this out. http://vimeo.com/58722473

too bad this camera is such a beast...........
red1one is offline Find More Posts by red1one
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:34 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,879 Posts
Testing on the tilt axis gimbal for the Phantom continues. Below is a quick video I did late yesterday. It was pretty windy, but the Phantom handles it pretty well. I've got the Naza gains set at 180/180/150/150, and then 70/70 for the Attitude settings. In order to handle the extra weight of the gimbal, I'm using some 9x4 Zingers, instead of the normal 8x4s or 8x5s. Amazingly, the motors are not even warm, after the flights, and I'd usually do 2-3 5 minute flights in a row.

I still have to adjust the Naza's tilt gimbal gain a little closer. There's still a slight bit of movement in the video, although I made no attempt to minimize the movements. I'm actually pretty amazed that the Naza's output at 400Hz is working as well as it is. It still isn't smooth as butter, like it is with the HFG board, but still, it seems smooth enough that what little Mercalli does in the tilt axis is enough to make the rendered output pretty smooth.

Phantom AG400 TL Tilt Axis Gimbal Test 04 (2 min 1 sec)

We are going to move the rubber grommet positions, on the center mounting plate, out about an inch, which should help with the stability a bit more. There's still a hint of bouncing right now, mainly on descents where the Phantom wobbles the most. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with how this is working. A few tweaks here and there, and we should be ready to go.

-- Gary
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:09 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,373 Posts
Another video shot from my Lobster and AG600 with a Sony NEX 5N. These guys happened to be riding motocross style dirt bikes at one of the local rogue flying fields, so I got their permission to fly and film them. In about half the clips, I used the Warp Stabilizer in premiere to clean up any little bounces, the other half were pretty much perfect. Actually almost all of the clips were pretty good to start. If you look at the dust spot, you can see how little it moves. I hate how I keep cleaning that sensor and more dust always seems to find it's way on to the sensor, even when taking off from pavement or from a tarp. I'm going to start bring a cleaning kit to the field with me I think.

Although you don't see it in the video, my roll servo is acting up again. But now I'm not sure if it's a HF gimbal or servo issue. The roll servo will start wobbling back and forth rapidly, increasing in speed. If I pan the craft left or right to force the roll servo to go to max throw, it will stop for a for a minute (or a few seconds sometimes) and then start again. Some flights it will barely do it, others it will do it non stop. Because it's variable, I'm starting to wonder if it's the HF gimbal controller that's causing the problem. I'm going to try and recalibrate it and see if that helps. I also have another BLS950 that I'll swap in as well. At least the tilt servo has been perfect. Anyway, the servo's just have to hold me over for 6 months or so when the brushless setups are available.

Anyway, the Lobster is flying amazingly well, I love this copter.

Dirt Bikes from Above - TPPacks Lobster Y-6, AG600 and DJI Naza (3 min 18 sec)
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:09 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
Another video shot from my Lobster and AG600 with a Sony NEX 5N. These guys happened to be riding motocross style dirt bikes at one of the local rogue flying fields, so I got their permission to fly and film them. In about half the clips, I used the Warp Stabilizer in premiere to clean up any little bounces, the other half were pretty much perfect. Actually almost all of the clips were pretty good to start. If you look at the dust spot, you can see how little it moves. I hate how I keep cleaning that sensor and more dust always seems to find it's way on to the sensor, even when taking off from pavement or from a tarp. I'm going to start bring a cleaning kit to the field with me I think.

Although you don't see it in the video, my roll servo is acting up again. But now I'm not sure if it's a HF gimbal or servo issue. The roll servo will start wobbling back and forth rapidly, increasing in speed. If I pan the craft left or right to force the roll servo to go to max throw, it will stop for a for a minute (or a few seconds sometimes) and then start again. Some flights it will barely do it, others it will do it non stop. Because it's variable, I'm starting to wonder if it's the HF gimbal controller that's causing the problem. I'm going to try and recalibrate it and see if that helps. I also have another BLS950 that I'll swap in as well. At least the tilt servo has been perfect. Anyway, the servo's just have to hold me over for 6 months or so when the brushless setups are available.

Anyway, the Lobster is flying amazingly well, I love this copter.
Awesome footage, Matt. You have got quite the creative eye, that's for sure.

One thing to check is to make sure the screw that holds the yoke assembly to the roll pulley shaft hasn't come lose. If it does turn out to be the servo, we can get you a replacement.

Anyway, you couldn't tell there was a problem in the video. I've only just started playing with the Warp Stabilizer plugin, but you are getting great results. I'm finally getting the hang of Mercalli, and have now finally figured out how to at least get enough smoothing in the tilt axis to take care of some small bounces and rough movements from using the Naza's gimbal output to drive our little Phantom tilt-only gimbal. Here is my latest test:

Phantom AG400 TL Tilt Axis Gimbal Test 05 (3 min 28 sec)

We still need to tweak a few things, but I'm pretty happy with the results, so far. The Naza's 400Hz output is a lot smoother than the old days of trying to make this work, but still not smooth-like-butter, like it is with the HFG driving it at 6V and 800Hz.

-- Gary
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:48 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
I have 13x4 tractor and 13x5 pusher on hand. I can get 13x5 tractor as well. daolof has used these before on his hengli pancake. f30a with wiiesc/falco firmware did get bit warm for his liking and he has gone to smaller prop.

price is 5.35 for tractor and 6.35 for pusher. I will weigh them.

in terms of availability. it is just a a frame. quad form of lobster with 8 grommettes. we can do a run if people want them. lobster is good enough for most heavy load, so have not had real call for heavier setup.

What's that in CW and CCW? I have to check my HF, but i think it's pusher on top and tractor on bottom. I was told that i can just swap motor outputs, but I haven't tested that.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty