Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:42 PM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
990 Posts
another test (2 min 30 sec)

If you were a professional video editor, what would you have to say about the stability of this video?
isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:53 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacintheclouds View Post
https://vimeo.com/59108751

If you were a professional video editor, what would you have to say about the stability of this video?
I'm a professional editor and DP. I'd say it is pretty rough. You might be able to pull something out of it but before multi rot and gimble stabilization you need to do smooth solid moves with motivation, not just panning around and weaving back and forth. Learn about cinematography and using camera axis for powerful emotional shots.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:03 PM
Joined May 2011
990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
I'm a professional editor and DP. I'd say it is pretty rough. You might be able to pull something out of it but before multi rot and gimble stabilization you need to do smooth solid moves with motivation, not just panning around and weaving back and forth. Learn about cinematography and using camera axis for powerful emotional shots.
I was more wondering about whether or not the gimbal is operating smooth enough. Im seeing what appear to be small jitters here and there and cant figure out where they are coming from.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:25 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,652 Posts
Yeah the jitters are pretty rough too. but the guys should be able to help you fine tune it. probably just gains. did you balance all props and motors?
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:33 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
one thing you can do, is disable the axis and see if you see the jitter. at least split the dictionary between gimbal and other mechanical issues.

if you don't have jitter with gimbal disabled, then, we can split the dictionary further.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:59 PM
Joined May 2011
990 Posts
If I take the ship and pick it up and roll it back and forth I can see the jitter occurring. Its not a huge amount but its there and shows in the vids. If I can see it just holding it in my hands wouldnt that rule out prop vibes? Ill disable the roll tomorrow and give it a quick test flight just to make sure. I have balanced the props on the motors using the laser/mirror technique. I have also tried all manner of different gain settings. I have tried 2 new servos and the jitter was the same as on the original. The camera tray is balanced so when the belt is off it will not fall one way or another.
Last edited by isaacintheclouds; Feb 06, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:06 PM
United States, OR, Keizer
Joined Jul 2012
430 Posts
Quote:
I was more wondering about whether or not the gimbal is operating smooth enough. Im seeing what appear to be small jitters here and there and cant figure out where they are coming from.
Drove me nuts for a bit too.

Things I check- is the belt too loose. (too tight is bad of course). If it's too loose the gimbal will rock very lightly if you pull up and down on the gimbal. (without the servo moving). Also make sure that the servos are moving smoothly. I had my belt too tight and it ended up damaging the servo to where the action was no longer smooth.

Motor and prop balance- critical- vibration can affect the gimbal controller and cause jitter. I put my hand on the gimbal controller and tested the motors individually (without props of course) .

Gimbal gains of course- roll you want mid to low 200's.
Banana Furikake is offline Find More Posts by Banana Furikake
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:10 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
what we are trying to figure out is whether the jitter occurs in the roll system or whether it if is something to do with isolation/mounting flex/moving. disabling the gimbal will rule that out. if it is gimbal itself, then all the other suggestions applies. if it is isolation/mounting issue, then we have to make that bit more rigid.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:53 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Sep 2012
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewlavin View Post
Here is a picture of the modified f550.
wow nice, can you post more detailed pic of the boom in the center plate
WonderKing is offline Find More Posts by WonderKing
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:01 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewlavin View Post
Here is a picture of the modified f550.
Amazing.... i'd really be interested in something similar if you have a build log or something.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:53 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Amazing.... i'd really be interested in something similar if you have a build log or something.
+1 nice job
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:56 PM
Joined May 2011
990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
what we are trying to figure out is whether the jitter occurs in the roll system or whether it if is something to do with isolation/mounting flex/moving. disabling the gimbal will rule that out. if it is gimbal itself, then all the other suggestions applies. if it is isolation/mounting issue, then we have to make that bit more rigid.
I dont understand. As I roll the ship back and forth in my hands with no vibrations from the props(because they arent running), I am watching the gimbal jitter as I roll it back and forth. It has been suggested that it may have something to do with the gain settings but I have tried everything from 0-500+ on the accel. gains. I have and continue to try different variations of PID gain settings and accel gain settings but so far the jitter remains exactly the same. If I can see the vibration/jitter in the roll while holding the ship in my hands with no other source of vibration to cause it I have to wonder, is it the hoverfly or the servos? The servos are brand new, and I have not run them super tight, just tight enough to not have any slop on the belt. The tray moves completely freely without the roll belt on. The camera stays in any position so I know its balanced. The pulley is tight, and so is the shaft to the yoke. The isolation mounts are not too tight or too loose,(I dont see how that can cause the jitter if I can see it happening when I hold the ship by the landing gear and move it around).
Absolutely nothing I have tried works. And its snowing so I cant keep test flying till sometime next week,(sigh).

Edit: Caught a break in the snow,flew with gimbal disabled, then with gimbal enabled. Downloading to vimeo
Last edited by isaacintheclouds; Feb 07, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:21 PM
Chris Lee
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Oct 2005
316 Posts
Was about to go to bed at 2am when I looked outside and realized it had snowed.

Lobster Y6 with Rusticwave gimbal, only thing done in post-production was color correct for the sodium vapor street lights.

Chris

http://youtu.be/dGdmdRz2fic
lineofsight is offline Find More Posts by lineofsight
Last edited by lineofsight; Feb 07, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:12 PM
Joined Dec 2007
79 Posts
Isaac, what firmware are you running?

I am running 1.9 and have servo jitter and roll / pitch coupling.
What helped remove some of the jitter was turning down the servo output resolution to 50hz...I know it sounds crazy, but the servos (savox 1258TG) where smoother on 50hz.
Also you might want to try changing the rate calculation mode. (if I remember correctly)

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Jim.

Quote:
I dont understand. As I roll the ship back and forth in my hands with no vibrations from the props(because they arent running), I am watching the gimbal jitter as I roll it back and forth. It has been suggested that it may have something to do with the gain settings but I have tried everything from 0-500+ on the accel. gains. I have and continue to try different variations of PID gain settings and accel gain settings but so far the jitter remains exactly the same. If I can see the vibration/jitter in the roll while holding the ship in my hands with no other source of vibration to cause it I have to wonder, is it the hoverfly or the servos? The servos are brand new, and I have not run them super tight, just tight enough to not have any slop on the belt. The tray moves completely freely without the roll belt on. The camera stays in any position so I know its balanced. The pulley is tight, and so is the shaft to the yoke. The isolation mounts are not too tight or too loose,(I dont see how that can cause the jitter if I can see it happening when I hold the ship by the landing gear and move it around).
Absolutely nothing I have tried works. And its snowing so I cant keep test flying till sometime next week,(sigh).

Edit: Caught a break in the snow,flew with gimbal disabled, then with gimbal enabled. Downloading to vimeo
jimbril is offline Find More Posts by jimbril
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined May 2011
990 Posts
Im on 1.9 too, but the jitter was occurring on 1.3 as well. Ill try tuning the hz down.
Rate calc. modes are on 1. I have tried all combinations of 1 and 0 on either.
Edit: Hz at 50, still jittery.
Last edited by isaacintheclouds; Feb 07, 2013 at 06:38 PM.
Closed Thread