HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:08 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,816 Posts
FYI, a hoverfly gimbal controller for sale here. Thought you guys might be interested:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820443
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:44 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
I am looking for an inexpensive 2 axis gimbal for my Sony 710... Do you sell this?
Vdoman is offline Find More Posts by Vdoman
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:44 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike SF View Post
I actually like this secondary baseplate for the RX100. Together with isolating motor mounts, it works very well to get rid of jello. I'm seeing that other people recommend switching off the IOS of the RX100 to avoid jello. But the IOS helps a lot with micro bounces, so it sounds like a step backwards to me. This simple baseplate allows using ISO and having no jello.

The following video is using a AG500 gimbal on Rusty's frame with isolated motor mounts. I only added some post-stab to some clips, but most are unchanged besides color correction.

http://vimeo.com/58497612
I agree that the RX100's SteadyShot feature in the Active mode is one of the few non-BOSS OIS functions that actually help. The only downside is that it does make it more susceptible to jello. The secondary baseplate does work, for sure. In certain scenarios, like gusty winds, it can be a little more susceptible to some bouncing that can get past the OIS. I only saw this once, however, and these gusts were very strong, and from the side. The Naza had a heck-of-a-time trying to keep the platform from being blown all over the place.

Mostly, as we try and evolve the gimbals, it is more about trying to get the best performance for a wider set of cameras with the basic setup. What we have learned is that generally, it is best to keep everything as rigid as possible, after the IMS. We've also learned that balancing is a very good way to keep micro-bounces in check. In any case, we do know that for particularly jello susceptible cameras, we need a second layer of isolation. With the isolated motor mounts, it is a way to move that second isolation layer ahead of the main IMS/gimbal.

It's been about 10 years since I've been up to Tahoe. I see the water is as clear as ever.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:12 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
Hey all,

Thought I would share my latest vid with the 550 + hardmounted Hero3 to the TpPacks 550 LG. I also recently upgraded to Sunnyskys and switched right back to the DJI motors as I started getting crazy vibes 0.o. Strange...

I know it is not Gimbal footage, but the isolated LG is relevant... Right? XD.

Cheers, Ced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofx9LZX87bE
Nice Ced, that was fun to watch.
Daloaf is online now Find More Posts by Daloaf
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:16 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike SF View Post
I actually like this secondary baseplate for the RX100. Together with isolating motor mounts, it works very well to get rid of jello. I'm seeing that other people recommend switching off the IOS of the RX100 to avoid jello. But the IOS helps a lot with micro bounces, so it sounds like a step backwards to me. This simple baseplate allows using ISO and having no jello.

The following video is using a AG500 gimbal on Rusty's frame with isolated motor mounts. I only added some post-stab to some clips, but most are unchanged besides color correction.

http://vimeo.com/58497612
And that was beautiful Mike, good job. We should to fly together sometime sense we are both here in SF
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:21 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdoman View Post
I am looking for an inexpensive 2 axis gimbal for my Sony 710... Do you sell this?
I guess that depends on your definition of inexpensive. You can get cheap gimbals from China, but the quality of your video will equal what you paid for it, so it will be crap. These gimbals are the best you can get for the money. www.tppacks.com
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:14 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Had a long talk with HF tech support. He said I need increase my PID gain and then rework the acceleration gains. We'll see....
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:08 PM
United States, OR, Keizer
Joined Jul 2012
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
FYI, a hoverfly gimbal controller for sale here. Thought you guys might be interested:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820443
What are you switching to?
Banana Furikake is online now Find More Posts by Banana Furikake
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined Jul 2012
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
That looks pretty good as far as Jello goes. Man, I ordered my GoPro3 directly from GoPro a week ago and it still hasn't shipped. I want to get this in my hands so I can start playing with it. It's going on my Skywalker FPV plane first I think, then will play around with it on my old F550.
Hey Matt- I just got the shipped notification- you?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:43 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Furikake View Post
Hey Matt- I just got the shipped notification- you?
Yep, I got mine today as well. I guess they finally got caught up on their inventory. If it ships from the SF bay area (where they are headquartered), I should have it by Friday. But it could be shipped from just about anywhere.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:50 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
669 Posts
Quote:
And that was beautiful Mike, good job. We should to fly together sometime sense we are both here in SF
It was just LOS, but it came out better than expected. I wanted to fly FPV the next day, but had some battery problems and didn't want to risk it over water. Maybe I come back in spring and try again.

I'm traveling the next few weeks, but let's keep the flying together in mind. I loved your flight over the aircraft carrier in Alameda. Very cool!
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pictures of my Myanmar trip
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:31 AM
Joined Mar 2012
880 Posts
Quote:
Nice Ced, that was fun to watch.
Thanks Matt Glad you enjoyed.
I didn't get much footage because it was raining all the time, but those guys were crazy

@ Mike, beautiful footage!
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
512 Posts
Quote:
Yep, I got mine today as well. I guess they finally got caught up on their inventory. If it ships from the SF bay area (where they are headquartered), I should have it by Friday. But it could be shipped from just about anywhere.
Just confirmed origination from Sunnyvale. How are you going to mount yours?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:39 AM
Joined Mar 2012
880 Posts
Just watched this great Jello fix for the Gopro!
I know some of you were talking about something similar... Well, it works.

GoPro Hero3 Jello Test & ND Filter Fix: "Blurfix3 SO Naked" (5 min 29 sec)
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:09 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
Just watched this great Jello fix for the Gopro!
I know some of you were talking about something similar... Well, it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12psgQFBNbU
As Michael pointed out earlier, ND filters help by stopping down the lens a couple stops and changing the exposure. This is basically equivalent to shooting in lower light. This doesn't come without a cost as it will also soften the image a bit, as some have reported in the Phantom thread. Also, as reported, you really need something closer than 300-400 feet away in order to really see the jello. Finally, what I'm finding is that the H3B's 2.7k/30p mode is an order of magnitude harder to remove the jello than the 1080/60p mode.

Our testing continues, but even with three layers of isolation on my F330 setup, there's still a bit of jello in the video below, which was shot in the afternoon yesterday, with a bright sun still out.

Hero3 Black Isolation Test 03 (3 min 27 sec)

Right now I have the motors isolated, and then two layers of isolation at the mount, rubber grommets and then four of the same silicon isolators that we use on the gimbal IMS. Andrey, on the other hand, has been able to get similar performance (no jello in lower light conditions...) on his Phantom test setup with just the silicon isolators. I think the reasons are twofold. In his setup, the isolators are spread out, basically at the attachment points for the landing gear. This really improves the effectiveness of the dampening. I believe the second reason is because the Phantom is similarly sized, it is running on 3s while my F330 setup is 4s. This means the blades are spinning a bit slower, so less vibrations are generated.

Today I should receive a new F330 LG set, with IMS, that is pretty much a scaled down version of the F550 LG/IMS. This will spread out the isolation, which should be enough of an improvement, I hope, to eliminate the "bright sunny day" jello I have left. If not, I will add another layer of isolation. Once we get the jello under control, we'll add a tilt-only gimbal, which Andrey is finishing up. Mercalli does a great job handling the roll compensation, but doesn't do much in the tilt axis.

I should also receive Andrey's latest Phantom mount, so I will start trying to optimize the performance of the H3B/2.7k setup on the Phantom as well. We are really pretty close.

Also in today's shipment are the new tube-based AG600 baseplates. Once I get them and update the instructions, etc., I will re-enable everything on the website. All AG600s from this point forward will have the updated baseplate, which makes it easier to balance the camera on the gimbal, and I will offer these as a separate upgrade for existing users, for those who want it.

I'm now satisfied that the Shrimp isolated motor mounts offer enough of an improvement that we are going to make this a standard part of the Shrimp kits. I have updated all the sets I have here, and I will make an upgrade kit available for existing users.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Closed Thread