SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:50 PM
Chris Lee
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Oct 2005
323 Posts
How are folks mounting Zinger props on Avroto 2814 motors? I have a bit of play that I've been removing with a small piece of heat shrink but it's a pain switching props.

The Avroto shaft is 6mm, the Zinger props are 1/4" = 6.35mm.

I got some Graupner prop adapters, 8mm to 6mm, but they too have a bit of play around the motor shaft.

Thanks,
Chris
lineofsight is offline Find More Posts by lineofsight
Last edited by lineofsight; Jan 03, 2013 at 07:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:12 PM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
791 Posts
APC vs Zinger

So earlier today, my timed comparison test of the 2 props, wasn't very controlled. I just flew two video missions. One with each brand. -- This time, I freshly charged 2 batteries, and just rose and hovered about 6 ft off the ground right in front of myself until the alarm went off. This time the times were almost identical. The Zingers actually lasted 3 or 4 seconds longer. -- JOHN

edit: Oh, and Chris, I have those motors and I flew with them on and off a couple of times today, and I just used them as is. They seemed to do fine. But like you say, there is a small amount of play.
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Last edited by digitalCAM; Jan 03, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:09 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
actually, I find that the hole is smaller than 1/4" but may be bit over 6mm. if I use 1/4" reamer, it actually takes bit wood out. may be it is batch to batch. i have not had issues with it . wonder if the 2814 is bit undersized.

john, glad that zinger and apcs has similar flight time.

for me, zinger's benefit is
fly at least as well as graupners. (bit better in wind in my opinion, but it is at least as good)
1) availability
2) cost
3) safety (no more cut. and they break pretty easy on crash, but rated for 20k rpm)

downside:

have to balance them more and for 5mm shaft, I have to ream out to 8mm and use tubing adapter.

wb: longer plate is possible. have to see. I know HF is still trying to figure out his issue. just strange.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Jan 03, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
Put on the "Zinger" props today. I think I like them. They gave me a little less air time, but they might be a little smoother. This is raw footage. -- JOHN
http://youtu.be/wjceXIQi3Dw
Looks really good John

I am struggling with my pitch settings on the AG600 and I'm not sure if it is because of HFG 1.8 or the fact that my Nex is so far back on the Gimbal. I had to move it back to have access to the HDMI port, and waiting for the upgraded larger tray. Rolling back to v1.03 now to eliminate that possibility...

Any chance you could share your settings here?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VakE2OUE#gid=0

Thanks,

Cedric
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:49 PM
United States, OR, Keizer
Joined Jul 2012
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
As I found out, too tight can cause permanent damage to the servo that will cause it to twitch all of the time. At least that's what I think happened to my servo. Even when loosen up, the servo was twitching moderately bad. But, I have one BLS 950 servo out for warranty repair and Andrey is sending me a new one that I bought, so I'll be in good shape soon.
Keep us updated. After going through many iterations- I'm thinking that might be my case too.

I'll also try to move wires away from the HFG.

Edit:

Just did some more testing. Interesting thing I noticed- when I turned the large gear on the pitch manually with the power off- the sound is nice and smooth. When I do it on the roll- the action isn't smooth- and it goes wah-wah-wah-wah-wah as I turn it. I'm thinking it is the servo.

I also took off all the props and ran the motors at hover throttle- still got the jitter. Also moved some wires around.
Banana Furikake is online now Find More Posts by Banana Furikake
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Banana Furikake; Jan 03, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Jul 2012
444 Posts
Quote:
If it seems to work OK on the bench, but won't when it is flying, it make me think that the HFG itself or the wires, are possibly too close to a servo, the camera, an ESC or a video tx. Is any of that possible. -- When I first mounted my HFG I found that it was very succeptable to my video tx antenna. As I would wiggle the antenna, the gimbal would react. --- I would suggest that when you have it on the bench, and it seems to be working. That you mount and turn on your camera and anything else that would be powered up when flying. Even to the extent of taking off your props and running the motors. Then do the "tilt it by hand" thing and see if it misbehaves. If it does, then eliminate one thing at a time. -- good luck, JOHN
I'm picking up some copper tape rated for EMI. Think that might help if the HFG is being hit by noisy ESCs or servos?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:15 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofsight View Post
How are folks mounting Zinger props on Avroto 2814 motors? I have a bit of play that I've been removing with a small piece of heat shrink but it's a pain switching props.

The Avroto shaft is 6mm, the Zinger props are 1/4" = 6.35mm.

I got some Graupner prop adapters, 8mm to 6mm, but they too have a bit of play around the motor shaft.

Thanks,
Chris
I got some 6mm to 8mm bushings. The same adapters they use for graupners, and I drill out the holes on the zinger close to 8MM and press in the adapters.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:57 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Furikake View Post
I'm picking up some copper tape rated for EMI. Think that might help if the HFG is being hit by noisy ESCs or servos?
Kenji, I have never uses any of that stuff, but if that is what it is made for, EMI is what you are trying to eliminate. Soooooo, my guess is yes, to some degree. -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:53 AM
Joined Jul 2012
444 Posts
Quote:
Kenji, I have never uses any of that stuff, but if that is what it is made for, EMI is what you are trying to eliminate. Soooooo, my guess is yes, to some degree. -- JOHN
Never hurts to try right?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:33 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,490 Posts
I wrapped the HFG in copper foil tape and at first I thought it was an improvement on the tilt drift when yawing, but after more flights on it, I don't really think it made much of a difference. I still have it on there though.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:17 AM
Chris Lee
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Oct 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
actually, I find that the hole is smaller than 1/4" but may be bit over 6mm. if I use 1/4" reamer, it actually takes bit wood out. may be it is batch to batch. i have not had issues with it . wonder if the 2814 is bit undersized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdww View Post
I got some 6mm to 8mm bushings. The same adapters they use for graupners, and I drill out the holes on the zinger close to 8MM and press in the adapters.
Thanks for the responses.

I haven't reamed out the props yet, I figure they should be a snug fit to the outside of the prop adapter. My issue is that the inner diameter is a bit too big on the Avroto 6mm shaft.

I measured the motor shaft with calipers, it's 5.97-5.98mm, but the play is more than that.

I'm chasing a high-frequency vibe so just trying to get everything as close to perfect as possible. Sounds like this play may not be the issue as some appear to be using the Zinger props straight on the shaft. Back to (re)balancing the props and I'm also checking on balancing the motors. A small bit of tape is helping on some of them (as measured by the iPhone vibration app method).

Thanks!
Chris
lineofsight is offline Find More Posts by lineofsight
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:22 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
for foil to work, you do need to have it grounded . otherwise, it probably won't do much.

for balancing the prop, you have to also balance the hub. zingers do balance pretty well.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Jan 04, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:27 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,664 Posts
I bought some spacers today. I mounted my hfg above the tube that runs front to back on the gimbal mount. Will I have to recalibrate anything since I moved the controller up about 2"?
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:40 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,664 Posts
some new pics of the rig
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:56 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Nice! What frame is that WB? I know it's prob the angle but is the arms going out to the tray level?
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Closed Thread