SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:45 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I can't get my hands on this set-up fast enough...

thank you for all of your early testing with the props and batteries, it's going to save some of use a lot of time and probably money.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
F550 ARF kits pre order is open and active on our site.
Expect to ship on the 15th to customers.
Free 2 day shipping.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
Per request of a customer and for the coming F550 GoPro and Nex5 mounts that GaryG and I will be carrying I went out and logged some numbers with 2.5lb weight and 4s 5000mah. I'm thinking 9-10mins no problem and the mount will be lighter. (GarryG will chime in on that, my mount arrives this weekend).

First pic is with 8" props and Max amp draw

Second pic is 10" props and Max amp draw.'

Third pic is 10" props and Hover amp draw.

Fourth pic is test mule. Not pretty but....
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:08 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
One our after I said I couldn't wait.... I didn't have to anymore!

Order placed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor View Post
F550 ARF kits pre order is open and active on our site.
Expect to ship on the 15th to customers.
Free 2 day shipping.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
Looking like 9-10mins with the F550, 10" props and the new TP 2 axis stabilized mount with 4s 5000mah packs will be no problem.
Last edited by UAVProducts; Feb 08, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 04:14 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,135 Posts
The F450 and F550 gimbals will be ready to ship next week as well. We've done some last-minute tweaks to the designs this week, which I'm finishing up the testing on now. Most of these were minor, like shortening the legs an inch, and beefing up the roll axis plates. The biggest change is that we're switching to a full-size high-speed 12-bit servo for the tilt axis as well. The prototypes used 10-bit DH16 "minis" for the tilt axis, which work okay, but the 12-bit full size DH20x-GCDs are noticeably smoother, for small movements, which is the worst case in terms of getting smooth video. I will post some video later, of some aggressive and very slow/steady movements, to really demonstrate the full range of performance.

Initially, there will be two mounting options, one for the F450 quad and one for the F550 hex, and two gimbal sizes, one optimized for use with the GoPro, including its protective case, and a larger sized yoke, that will fit a Sony NEX-5N/7, a Panasonic GH2 or a Canon T2i/550D. The roll axis for both of these is the same.

The TP450-GP is the inline GoPro option for the F450 quad. The TP550-GP is the F550 hex option, with the integrated landing gear, and the GoPro yoke/tilt assembly. The TP550-NX is the same F550/LG setup, with the larger NEX yoke/tilt assembly. Finally, the TP550-NX/GP is the F550 hex//LG mount with both the GoPro and NEX yoke assemblies. It takes less than two minutes to swap the two.

More info later, after I finish up my tests.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:23 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
563 Posts
I can't wait for the footage
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:00 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
563 Posts
Any more progress Gary? Itching to see footage
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:27 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
Because of the last minute changes, I am making my first shipment to gary on monday. (and your mount as well Robert) I am delayed mostly due to waiting for parts, which should be here monday. I am trying to include a few nex5 gimbal though with this shipment. (may be 4)

Remember that my production rate current is not very big at the moment, but I am ramping up, so I should be able to produce at more steady rate starting next week. I will make weekly shipment to Gary on friday starting next week, so you will know the approximate availability time. Last minute changes really took a bit of time and slowed us down a bit. (I am a g-10 destroyer LOL) we may also have to source alternate servos depending on availability, as we are depended on our supplier for that. Overall, We are really happy with the current result that we are getting now. so, wait is almost over.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:03 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,135 Posts
Yes, one of the changes we are making is to switch to a full-size servo on the tilt axis. In the beginning, we were trying to use mini-sized servos, for at least the tilt axis. I had bad info that the Hyperion DH16s were "high resolution", so I assumed this meant 12-bits. I later found that there was a significant difference in "smoothness" of operation between these, and the full-size DH20s, so I think at best, they are 10-bit, just like the Savox SH-1357s or the Hitec HS-7235MHs. In any case, even with the fastest DH16-GCD version, you can see that small movements were just not as smooth as the DH20x-GCD is in the roll axis. You can actually hear the difference in the video as well. The roll axis servo makes a bit of a whine when it moves, and the DH16 in the tilt axis makes more of a growl.

In this video, the gains are pretty close, but I've got a vibration issue that is causing a bit of jitter. After this flight I checked the props and although they are balanced, a couple had blade tips that were slightly bent upwards, which screws up the blade tracking. Last night I used a heat gun to "tweak" these back straight, and the tracking is now perfect again. I tried it this morning, and it even sounds smoother.

F550 GoPro Gimbal Test-04.mp4 (3 min 49 sec)

Anyway, you can definitely see the difference in the smoothness of roll movements, vs. the tilt axis. I should be receiving an updated yoke assembly this morning, from Andrey, that is now sized for the full-size DH20x-GCD. I will get that installed, and I'll do some more test flights this afternoon. I also have some 10x5 Graupners coming today as well, and I want to do some comparisons against the 9x5x3s. The one thing that still puzzles me is that when I tried the "stock" 10x4.5 props, the motors ran hot, whereas with the 9x5x3s, the motors are barely above ambient. I want to see if the Graupners run hot as well.

Finally, just for grins, I tried using an FY-30A as a standalone gimbal controller. It seems to work pretty well, but I can't really tell yet if it is any better or worse than the WK-M/Naza's direct gimbal outputs. Here's a short ground test video:

FY-30A Gimbal Test-01.mp4 (0 min 21 sec)

I've got at least 50 of the Hyperion DH20x-GCDs coming in a week, or so, which should satisfy the immediate demand, but I'm also going to try some other higher-end digitals, to see if they can work as well. I have some Hitec HS-7940TH and HS7966MHs to try, as well as some Align DS610s, all of which are 12-bit. The Hitecs are also programmable, which is good, because we need to widen the standard range of motion, and we have to lower the deadband timing. You can do this on the Hitecs but the only issue I have with them, other than being 2-3 times more expensive, is that in the hires/12-bit mode, the max rotatin range you can set them to is 120 degrees, not 180. This will limit the gimbal range of motion to +/- 30 degrees, instead of the full +/- that is possible with the DH20x-GCDs. I don't think the Align or Savox digitals are programmable, but I will see what else might be out there as well.

More later...

-- Gary
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:08 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
563 Posts
Nice progress, Gary and Andrey!

Holy crap! I've never heard servos so loud before!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
Looking very good.

Can't wait for mine.

Gary,

Get some balls and fly that thing out over that golf course and back. LOL
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:41 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Hudson View Post
Nice progress, Gary and Andrey!

Holy crap! I've never heard servos so loud before!
Actually, any servo on there is going to sound loud. The GoPro's plastic case muffles most of the "outside" noise, but the servo noises translate through the mount, especially the tilt servo. With a regular point'n shoot, the props are mostly what you hear.

Robert, you are right. I haven't ventured too far off just yet, as I'm still a little leery about my build skills. lol. I've had two experiences with the F450 dropping out of the sky, into the sagebrush, between my house and the fairway, due to either faulty Deans/Cheans connections, or errant prop adapters. The first time, I sent my son down the hill, and the second time, I made my wife go over the fence. Neither are here today. Anyway, the F550 is so far proving to be pretty reliable. With the DJI motors, the prop adapters are built-in, and I'm using 4mm gold bullets for the main connections now, and they are solid. Next flight I might just get a bit more adventurous.

Andrey's package, with the the full-size yoke, just showed up, so I'll be doing some more test flights this afternoon, for sure.

-- Gary
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:26 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
So if I were to get the mount for NEX, would Gopro fit in there as well?
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280 View Post
So if I were to get the mount for NEX, would Gopro fit in there as well?
Gary and I will have them and F550 combo packages next week. We are both working together on the combo.
Closed Thread