HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:38 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,046 Posts
Does anyone know if the 550 hex at altitudehobbies is compatible with parts and such for the DJI 550?
To me it looks pretty identical, I'm thinking of picking one up as soon as they're back in stock.
I'm going to use a Crius AIOP which I have already, and a gopro hero 3 silver which I should be getting soon. Jumping into multirotors headfirst, and maybe FPV once I reach the limits of my LOS flying.

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/multi...bo-flight-pack
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
The RX100 has a 28-100mm equivalent lens and the 35mm equivalent of the NEX-5N's 16mm pancake lens is 24mm, so they are close. The RX100 takes much better stills, and video, in my opinion, like I said, due to the softness of the 16mm pancake lens. With the RX100s extremely effective OIS function, it also takes much better video, in my opinion. No little micro bounces to deal with.

-- Gary
If you have access to the new 16-50 IS Nex lens perhaps that would be better than the 16 pancake and maybe better than the RX100 also. I have not used the RX100 or the Nex 16 pancake so I don't have a perspective on them. But the Nex 6 and 16-50 certainly produces results that my clients would be happy with.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Last edited by AlanGold; Dec 02, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:34 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Does anyone know if the 550 hex at altitudehobbies is compatible with parts and such for the DJI 550?
To me it looks pretty identical, I'm thinking of picking one up as soon as they're back in stock.
I'm going to use a Crius AIOP which I have already, and a gopro hero 3 silver which I should be getting soon. Jumping into multirotors headfirst, and maybe FPV once I reach the limits of my LOS flying.

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/multi...bo-flight-pack
I was looking at the frame and it looks like nearly an exact ripoff of the DJI frame, so the AG gimbals should work. The DJI F550 with motors and escs is only $318, I'm not sure if it's worth the price difference to buy a knockoff, but if their motors and escs all work together, it might be.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:49 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
I was looking at the frame and it looks like nearly an exact ripoff of the DJI frame, so the AG gimbals should work. The DJI F550 with motors and escs is only $318, I'm not sure if it's worth the price difference to buy a knockoff, but if their motors and escs all work together, it might be.
I've got a deal worked out with him since this is for a long term school project of mine, so it is only going to cost me roughly half of the dji version. I guess I'll go through with it and let you all know how it goes and if I have any issues.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:22 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
man, I've been very busy today at church.

concerning 3axis. adding 3rd axis is easy, but not to make it clean and integrated. we are talking about doing a version of lobster and king crab with integrated retract. probably the best solution. I can do rotating LG pretty easy, but it add height and weight. I have had simple solution on F550LG that attaches to it, but it adds 1.5" to the height and add weight. unless we can do a really clean solution, it won't happen quick.

today, I am finishing up some stuff, but also finishing up the s800 adapters and possibly test the 3508s (at least on the bench) I really want to get a batch, but not until I get them tested and figure out which firmware is the one to use.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Dec 03, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:11 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
839 Posts
HoverflyGIMBAL Setup Client - new upgrade

Name: HoverflyGIMBAL Setup Client
Version: 1.8.0.107
Publisher: Hoverfly Technologies, Inc.

http://www.hoverflyupdate.com/GimbalSetup/publish.htm
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:37 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
I just lost the lens off my fpv cam. Lost orientation before I realized turning wouldn't bring back a signal loss. Managed to save it short of some power lines. Brought it back home and landed LOS. Another thing to check on occasion and a reminder for fpv pilots to keep Los skills sharp. I would have never found her without audio cues, wind was pushing and was in ATTI because of GPS drift. Failsafe is always last resort and I've never had to use yet.
Mark, If you lose orientation, don't forget about the option of putting it into "Home Lock". Then you can just fly it home, no matter what way it is oriented. I wouldn't ever put it into failsafe. Glad you got it back safely. -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:50 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Quote:
The RX100 has a 28-100mm equivalent lens and the 35mm equivalent of the NEX-5N's 16mm pancake lens is 24mm, so they are close. The RX100 takes much better stills, and video, in my opinion, like I said, due to the softness of the 16mm pancake lens. With the RX100s extremely effective OIS function, it also takes much better video, in my opinion. No little micro bounces to deal with.

-- Gary
Ok thanks for info.

Have you tried stills and video with the 0,75x adapter for the 16mm?
MUCH better than 16mm only. No softness or blurry corners, really sharp photos! This 0,75x means everything to me and my customers are really happy with the pictures and videos they buy. A 28mm is way too narrow for working in small ot tight areas and doesn't fill the frame good enough when fx taking pictures of a house. 12mm vs. 28mm is a huge difference and with proper balanced prop and motor there are no vibrations at all.

BTW, when I went from Graupners to wooden props (Xoars) it made a biff diff about vibs, sound (lower) and stability although both were balanced. IMHO if you have vibs without IOS there is something wrong in the setup even though it may dissapear some when using IOS. Also check the weight of different wooden props as a weight diff is rather important: the heavier props tend to vibrate more and I am very happy with my Xoars. They may cost some but if you are in it for satisfieng customers it is a very small fee to pay and very cheap compared to CF props.

As my Y6 is really small and on the limit for a Nex5so the Lobster is really interesting and I will follow the discussions about it for a while before I buy.
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Last edited by tritan; Dec 03, 2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined May 2012
75 Posts
ext pot

I am finally putting the ext. pot mot on my AG550.
When i pulled the back cover off I maybe destroyed my servo

What can I do?
kokla55 is offline Find More Posts by kokla55
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:51 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokla55 View Post
I am finally putting the ext. pot mot on my AG550.
When i pulled the back cover off I maybe destroyed my servo

What can I do?
I did the same, even after reading the warning that this can happen. You could try soldering the small wires back with very small wire wrap wires, or your just going to have to get a new servo.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined May 2012
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdww View Post
I did the same, even after reading the warning that this can happen. You could try soldering the small wires back with very small wire wrap wires, or your just going to have to get a new servo.
Not good! There are no MKS servos available here in Norway, and I have a photo shoot next weekend
kokla55 is offline Find More Posts by kokla55
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:59 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokla55 View Post
Not good! There are no MKS servos available here in Norway, and I have a photo shoot next weekend
PM Andrey and be ready to pay through the nose for shipping. I bet he could get one in the mail tomorrow with some crazy $80+ 3-5 day shipping option. Sure you'll pay double for the servo but you'll have it next week before the weekend hits. He might even do the pot mod for you
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:51 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I am modifying bunch of servos tonight, so doing extra is not a problem. I can ship tomorrow at the latest. (may be even today if I get on it) but need shipping information.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:15 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
839 Posts
Quote:
Cedric, I agree with Michael. Throw that H3B on there already!

Try using the H3B's 2.7K mode, with the WB set to "Raw". Then use Mercalli in your favorite editor (Unless it is FCP X...) to remove the platform motion and then zoom in the picture a bit, to eliminate the Mercalli black borders. Finally, use something like MB Looks to fix the fisheye effect and to punch up the color a bit. You will be amazed at the results.

-- Gary
Are you using the Mercalli plugin or Stand Alone version?
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Mar 2012
821 Posts
Quote:
Cedric, I agree with Michael. Throw that H3B on there already!

Try using the H3B's 2.7K mode, with the WB set to "Raw". Then use Mercalli in your favorite editor (Unless it is FCP X...) to remove the platform motion and then zoom in the picture a bit, to eliminate the Mercalli black borders. Finally, use something like MB Looks to fix the fisheye effect and to punch up the color a bit. You will be amazed at the results.

-- Gary
Haha Will do!
I was actually just drilling a hole in the waterproof case () to access the USB port for FPV. I already modded the cable so it's almost ready to go
I'll try WB set to Raw, thanks for the tip!
And I installed Mercalli and MB looks a few days ago... It looks like I am all set
I'll post a vid here with the results. Cheers!
Cedric.
c3d76 is online now Find More Posts by c3d76
Closed Thread