HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:23 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
34 Posts
Ok no water, shot this over Joshua Tree Park. Thanks BlueCross for getting me the pulleyes and such, I can build out the 550 gimbal now

Untitled (2 min 41 sec)
liske is offline Find More Posts by liske
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
Registered User
gww528's Avatar
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
817 Posts
Do not know a lot about wood props but these GemFan props may be an option...
http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/index.php?cPath=46_148
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:24 PM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
those gemfans cost more than zingers. frankly, I like zingers and they are made in california. gemfans just copy others. not sure which on they copied.
askman is online now Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:46 PM
Registered User
gww528's Avatar
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
those gemfans cost more than zingers. frankly, I like zingers and they are made in california. gemfans just copy others. not sure which on they copied.
now I know a little more about wood blades. Zingers do sound better, plus I like the name.
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:15 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
Daloaf's Avatar
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,438 Posts
I used to hate the zinger props because they were mainly made for glow motors and were crap on 3d planes. We always went with brands like a APC, xoar, falcon or Mejzlik. But these zingers seem to be working great on the lobster. I'm just waiting for the weather to clear so I can get some more flights on it.
Daloaf is online now Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:30 PM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
Xoars and Meijzlik are good props and probably work fine. I just have issue spending 10+ bucks a prop. why I have not jumped on the graupner wagon (even though I did have a set at one time, but sold them for what I paid for them lol) wooden props will not be the most efficient, but it has certain quality we are looking for which makes them good for multicopter/AP use, especially in windy situation .
askman is online now Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:51 PM
Registered User
gww528's Avatar
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
Xoars and Meijzlik are good props and probably work fine. I just have issue spending 10+ bucks a prop. why I have not jumped on the graupner wagon (even though I did have a set at one time, but sold them for what I paid for them lol) wooden props will not be the most efficient, but it has certain quality we are looking for which makes them good for multicopter/AP use, especially in windy situation .
Why are the wooden props good for multicopter/AP use, especially in windy situation? Why would Graupnar not have the same quality? I ask to find out what are the correct characteristics of a prop for our use.
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:02 PM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
graupners are good props. stiff and light. only downside is the price lol. I just hate paying 12bucks a prop plus availability of sizes (not to mention strange hub size)


if you have them and like them, use them. I've spent lot of time looking for cheaper alternatives and zinger really outperformed most other props in sub 5 buck props. and in high wind, it actually does better than graupners. but I do think it is bit less efficient than graupners.

in reality, you want relatively light and rigid props. beyond that, I find non SF profile does better in wind. SF types are bit more efficient though. beyond that, you have to actually fly them to test them.
askman is online now Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:48 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
Daloaf's Avatar
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,438 Posts
I was just going to put on the iso mount and AG600 onto my lobster, but am not quite sure how it gets mounted. Andrey or Gary, can you please post a photo of the bottom of the lobster and a close up of the iso system when you get a chance. Thanks.
Daloaf is online now Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:22 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
I was just going to put on the iso mount and AG600 onto my lobster, but am not quite sure how it gets mounted. Andrey or Gary, can you please post a photo of the bottom of the lobster and a close up of the iso system when you get a chance. Thanks.
Hey Daloaf, I had a bit of trouble figuring it out as well.
Here is what I did, and Gary said it was correct (1st pic). I did have to use leftover spacers for the rear...
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Last edited by c3d76; Dec 01, 2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:58 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
Daloaf's Avatar
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
Hey Daloaf, I had a bit of trouble figuring it out as well.
Here is what I did, and Gary said it was correct (1st pic). I did have to use leftover spacers for the rear...
Awesome, thanks for the photos. I spent a hour or so just messing around with it and finally figured it out. It was the cross bar in the front that was giving me trouble, then I figured out that it connected in the middle hole of the front iso mounts and everything kind of just worked out from there. But it was good seeing your photos to confirm that what I was doing was correct

It's supposed to be raining on and off tomorrow with wind in the 15-20mph range, but I think I'm going to still try and go out and test the Lobster with the gimbal on. I also have my new 16mm pancake lens on my Nex 5N, so I'll get to test that as well. Looking forward to it.
Daloaf is online now Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:59 AM
Registered User
jeff2215's Avatar
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,064 Posts
I've been bouncing around on all the options and even took a look at the new DJI Phantom thats coming out. But that seems to be more of a toy then the Lobster or Shrimp with many limitations. I think I have settled on the Shrimp because of its smaller size and that fact that I won't be loading it up with a big camera. Something about flying around a $1K+ camera through the air that I don't have the guts for. :-) What are the recommended motors, escs, props, battery, for the shrimp? Thanks!
jeff2215 is offline Find More Posts by jeff2215
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:38 AM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,994 Posts
I think the Phantom will be a great entry level platform, for those first getting into AP/AV, and I think with a Hero3 Black, the Phantom can be useful even for "pros", mainly in tight quarters, or indoors. As a primary platform, however, it won't be enough.

I think the Shrimp, with an AG600, will be a great choice for cameras up to something like a GH2 or a T4i. What I'd do is PM Andrey about getting some SunnySky 2216s, some reflashed 30A ESCs and some Zingers. I'm using 10x4s on top, and 10x5s on the bottom, and that seems about prefect. It should be good for up to about 8-1/2 to 9 pounds. Any 4s pack that is around 40C should be fine. I'm using a 4s-5800 Zippy, but since my current setup only weighs 6lb 10oz/3kg, I'm thinking I might try a 4s-8000 pack so I can get 15 minute+ durations.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:43 AM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,994 Posts
If I can ever get my "chores" done (Lobster/Shrimp/Crab instructions...), I'm going to use the attached special AG700 setup to do a "flyoff" between my two favorite cameras, the RX100 and the new Hero3 Black. Should be interesting.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:13 AM
Registered User
AlanGold's Avatar
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
I think the Phantom will be a great entry level platform, for those first getting into AP/AV, and I think with a Hero3 Black, the Phantom can be useful even for "pros", mainly in tight quarters, or indoors. As a primary platform, however, it won't be enough.

I think the Shrimp, with an AG600, will be a great choice for cameras up to something like a GH2 or a T4i. What I'd do is PM Andrey about getting some SunnySky 2216s, some reflashed 30A ESCs and some Zingers. I'm using 10x4s on top, and 10x5s on the bottom, and that seems about prefect. It should be good for up to about 8-1/2 to 9 pounds. Any 4s pack that is around 40C should be fine. I'm using a 4s-5800 Zippy, but since my current setup only weighs 6lb 10oz/3kg, I'm thinking I might try a 4s-8000 pack so I can get 15 minute+ durations.

-- Gary
This is very helpful info. I think when I added up my projected Shrimp system the AUW with a Nex 6 and 16-50 looked to be around 5.75 - 6 lbs. So I'm not sure where your additional 10 -12 ounces or so comes from. One question I have is what do you think about redundancy if one motor were to give out? Would the extra power of the Lobster make a difference when carrying the same Nex 6 camera?

I just bought some Sunnysky V2216s for a TBS Discovery build so I'll see what I think of them. Plus should I eventually buy the Shrimp and use those same, motors, I'll have them on the Discovery as backups.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Sony Nex 5n aerial samples. jeffscholl Aerial Photography 1423 Yesterday 09:58 PM
Discussion DJI WK-M - Droidworx Hex Build Huddo Multirotor Talk 41 Dec 31, 2011 07:58 AM
Discussion Sony NEX 5N raw video footage SeismicCWave Multirotor Talk 5 Nov 17, 2011 12:10 AM
Discussion Which is best: "Sony Nex 5" or "Panasonic GH2"? babanan Aerial Photography 6 Sep 08, 2011 04:27 PM
Discussion What gyros to use on a 2 Axis camera gimbal? Voguna Aerial Photography 0 Mar 13, 2011 11:51 AM