Closed Thread
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
Finally have my Lobster ready to test fly
Build was very straight forward, but I struggled a bit with the AG550v2 to AG600 conversion and attaching the Gimbal to the Lobster. The Voltair Distribution board bolts right into the lower plate, I just used a couple of PC screws and standoffs

Here are a few pics (please ignore the cable management). After I am satisfied everything is working well I will take the top plate off and secure the ESC's, wires, etc...
Cedric, any chance you can tell me what your setup is as far as what motors, escs, etc you are using? Also looks like you put extensions on your motor leads so you can feed them through the arms? I'm looking at getting a Lobster and would like to see what I need to get to complete.

Thanks!
jeff2215 is offline Find More Posts by jeff2215
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:48 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,531 Posts
Quote:

Thanks Daloaf
I'm not sure if it is the rigid frame or the integrated isolation system, but the Lobster has really worked it's magic. With the 550 I always had random jerkiness and strange bouncing when slowing down or cornering fast...
Sounds like you're almost done putting it together. I was so excited I stayed up till 5:00 am the other day to finish it up . Totally worth it!
I worked on mine until 1am last night, not quite as hardcore as you though!

I got the arms mounted, top and bottom plates bolted down and now I just have to reprogram the naza from my F550, bolt on the GPS and balance and bolt on the props and I should be good to go for a test flight today. I already soldered on all of the power accessories that I need for the gimbal and FPV setup, so bolting that on shouldn't be that difficult. I am just waiting for the new tube iso mount from Andrey and I'll get some video test flights in this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2215 View Post
Thanks for the quick feedback. I see that there is a shrimp available too, but not seeing it on the website. Is it much smaller? The biggest camera I would consider using is a GoPro or Nex5n. So would the shrimp be a better option? Thanks again for the feedback.
I also had lots of bouncing issues with my video on the F550 and most of it was due to the copter actually bouncing around in the air, even when it looked totally stable from the ground. In winds over 10mph or when doing fast starts or stops or hard lateral movements, the bouncing was bad enough to ruin video. It seems when people have upgraded to the Y-6 copters, this issue has gone away. Mostly it seems that y-6 copters are just much more tolerant of wind and having more rigid arms really seems to help. The F550 is a great copter and parts are dirt cheap, but if you want good video results, I would go with a Lobster or shrimp instead (Lobster is probably better for a NEX and full FPV gear and it gives you room to grow).

The shrimp probably can lift a similar amount as the stock F550. My F550 weighs in at 8.5lbs with Nex, gopro, gimbal, etc and I'm really at the maximum weight that this copter can probably support. The lobster can support larger motors and props and should be able to lift well over 10lbs.
Daloaf is online now Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daloaf; Nov 27, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:59 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Cedric, any chance you can tell me what your setup is as far as what motors, escs, etc you are using? Also looks like you put extensions on your motor leads so you can feed them through the arms? I'm looking at getting a Lobster and would like to see what I need to get to complete.

Thanks!
Hey Jeff, send Andrey (Askman) a PM or email and tell him that you are interested in a lobster. Ask him all of the parts you will need and he will give you the recommend setup right from the designer. Aside from that, there are a ton of good setups. The Sunnysky 2814 motors are I think the current recommended motor, but the Sunnysky 3508's are being tested. Pancake motors are becoming popular for Multirotors because they are efficent and light weight. Cedric is using Avroto 2814 770kv motors, I'm using the beefy Hengli 4822-690 kv motors, both of which should work great and lift plenty of weight to boot. For the Hengli motors, Andrey made me a set of custom motor mounts. Some motors now come with really long power leads made to thread through the carbon fiber arm tubes. If not, you need to solder your own wire on. I'm glad I had recently bought 4 meters of 16g wire from hobbyking.

As for ECS's, most people are using ESC's flashed with Simon K firware and Andrey can sell you preflashed 30A ESC if your interested. DJI 30A ESC's also work and are pretty cheap. If you use pancake motors, the WiiESC firmware seems to be the way to go.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daloaf; Nov 27, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
857 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
Hey Jeff,
Yes like Daloaf mentioned I am using the Avrotos... I actually took everything from my "heavy lift" converted DJI 550 including the 11x5 Graupner props, 30A DJI Opto ESC's, Naza and 5000mah 4S Lipos (and Avrotos).
The only reason I needed to extend the motor leads is because I originally chopped them to fit the 550. Stock leads are really long and what I soldered back on eventually.
You'll have to get a distribution board to complete the setup. I went with the voltair (pain to solder) but Andrey and Gary are apparently using the HK board instead...

My 550 is now completely bare, but I'm thinking of converting it into a "TBS explorer" type quad for FPV. I still have the stock DJI motors and 10x5' Graupner props, so I just need ESC's and another NAZA to complete
c3d76 is online now Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:04 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,802 Posts
We are at the same point... I should also be able to get her in the air today or tomorrow if everything pans out.. With the holidays and my kids I have 0 time for hobbies!!

I know one day I will miss it so I am not bitchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
I worked on mine until 1am last night, not quite as hardcore as you though!

I got the arms mounted, top and bottom plates bolted down and now I just have to reprogram the naza from my F550, bolt on the GPS and balance and bolt on the props and I should be good to go for a test flight today. I already soldered on all of the power accessories that I need for the gimbal and FPV setup, so bolting that on shouldn't be that difficult. I am just waiting for the new tube iso mount from Andrey and I'll get some video test flights in this weekend.

I also had lots of bouncing issues with my video on the F550 and most of it was due to the copter actually bouncing around in the air, even when it looked totally stable from the ground. In winds over 10mph or when doing fast starts or stops or hard lateral movements, the bouncing was bad enough to ruin video. It seems when people have upgraded to the Y-6 copters, this issue has gone away. Mostly it seems that y-6 copters are just much more tolerant of wind and having more rigid arms really seems to help. The F550 is a great copter and parts are dirt cheap, but if you want good video results, I would go with a Lobster or shrimp instead (Lobster is probably better for a NEX and full FPV gear and it gives you room to grow).

The shrimp probably can lift a similar amount as the stock F550. My F550 weighs in at 8.5lbs with Nex, gopro, gimbal, etc and I'm really at the maximum weight that this copter can probably support. The lobster can support larger motors and props and should be able to lift well over 10lbs.
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the quick feedback. I see that there is a shrimp available too, but not seeing it on the website. Is it much smaller? The biggest camera I would consider using is a GoPro or Nex5n. So would the shrimp be a better option? Thanks again for the feedback.
It is on the website but the first photo is just of the parts package... not an assembled product. So I overlooked it for a while too.

I too have been debating the two sizes of crustaceans. As far as I can tell at this point, I plan to mostly shoot video with a GoPro and stills with the Nex. I wrote with this specific question and Gary thought the Shrimp would be a good choice for me if I'm not planning to use a larger camera.

I probably will not be buying for a couple of months as it is winter and I have time to debate my needs before getting ready for projects in the spring. (Plus I still am in the learning stage, but doing pretty well.) So I will wait to see what more people think of their Shrimps and Lobsters using a Nex and GoPro. I don't think an FPV transmitter and even OSD adds much weight either. (2-3 ounces in my case.)

Item Weight

Lobster Frame 714

Gimbal 600 454

Sunnysky 2814 120+18gmsx6= 828

ESCs 150

Hoverfly gyro 40

Batt 4S? ???

Electronics
Rec, NAZA, GPS,
FPV, OSD? 150 (est.)

Nex 16-50 116

Nex 6 w/batt 345 (Nex 5 is 276)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Shrimp frame 454

Gimbal 600 454

Sunnysky 2216 486
6 with acccess.

ESCs (DJI for example) 150

Electronics 150 (est)

Hoverfly gimbal controller 40 (est)

Battery 3S 5000mah 417 (varies)

Nex 16-50 116

------------------------------------------------------

So the total AUW I see for "my" Shrimp setup would be about 2612 grams...or about 5 3/4 lbs. And significantly lighter proportionately with a GoPro compared with the Lobster. Did I miss anything? I guess I need to figure in the weight of a digital to composite video converter and IR shutter trigger and my small video transmitter battery. So maybe another couple of ounces.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:39 PM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
1,049 Posts
I just weighed my NEX5n. With the pancake 16mm lens it weighs around 340g. The weight they put on the sony website is just the sensor housing without a lens (or battery I think).
isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, OR, Keizer
Joined Jul 2012
478 Posts
Yep- that was great seeing you in person Andrey. Intervals? We gotta get you on a bike.

I gotta say guys- we're super lucky to have Andrey designing this stuff. He's brilliant- and a true engineer. Just put it this way- with his job background- he knows his stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
very nice video glad it is working well for you. we spent ton of work on coming up wiht integrated solution to stable video . it really does take full setup to get full benefit though and even though it took us a bit of time to finally release the frame, the result really speak for themselves.

like I've mentioned only gain you will get from higher pitch on the bottom is bit more efficiency. I had bearing go out on one of my spindle drive motor on my cnc. spent most of last couple days changing it out. I am now running brushless 230kv outrunner lol. 36v . replacement motor wouldhave taken too long, but I am back up and running.

I got to meet ken sugahara over the weekend.(banana furikake) he is waiting for his shrimp, but he wanted some props. since he was in the area, we've met up. anyway, I am feeling bit tired last few days (been doing insanity workout and started 2nd month, which is monster interval training) but feeling better today. I have some catching up to do.
Banana Furikake is online now Find More Posts by Banana Furikake
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined May 2012
75 Posts
Quote:
Here is some "raw" test footage from the Lobster
Now that vibrations and bouncing have been resolved after switching from the DJI550, I'll be tweaking the HF gimbal board settings some more...
Using the AG600 Gimbal and Sony NEX-5n with 16mm lens, and as you can see the Avrotos with 11x5 Graupners work just fine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShZRDuX2bss
Wow!! Great video.
Really looks like a great setup
How is the flight time now compared to you F550 with the same batteries?

Thinking about ordering a lobster myself. Only reason I still haven't is because I am too curious about the King Crab
kokla55 is offline Find More Posts by kokla55
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacintheclouds View Post
I just weighed my NEX5n. With the pancake 16mm lens it weighs around 340g. The weight they put on the sony website is just the sensor housing without a lens (or battery I think).
To clarify, I broke down the weight of the Nex 6 and Nex 5N bodies with batteries in them, and also the 16-50 lens. Since I have the Nex 6 and 16-50, that is my likely combo at 461 grams. (Perhaps I'll buy a used 5N as they are getting pretty inexpensive and save the risk to my Nex 6.)
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:46 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,531 Posts
I just maidened my Lobster in the backyard and it is sooooo smooth in the air!

I just did two test flights on it without the gimbal and cameras and had no problems what so ever. They were really enjoyable, worry free flights.

Building the lobster was pretty straightforward, the hardest part being mounting all of the ESC's, running all of the wires and then bolting the top and bottom plates back together. My naza setup was a piece of cake, because I was moving it from a F550, it was mostly already setup. I just had to change the gains a bit and chance the copter type to Y6. My gains were 200, 200, 170, 165, 70, 70 on the maiden. All of my switches, RTH, intelligent orientation control, etc, carried over from the F550 settings.

My setup was the Hengli 4822-690kv motors, Zinger 13x4 and 5 props, Hobbyking ESC's that Andrey flashed with WiiESC firmware, Naza, GPS, Cirus distribution board (that I hope holds up) and I tried a 4s 5000 and 5800 pack. My F550 with the AG600 gimbal, NEX 5N, GoPro, FPV setup and Video converter, I would get about 5 minutes on a 5000 pack and 5:30 on a 5800 pack. On the two flights I did on the lobster (without cameras and gimbal) I flew for 5:30 each and had 40% left on the 5000mah pack and 58% left on the 5800mah pack. I have a feeling, once I get the cameras and gimbal back on, my flight times will be about the same or maybe slightly longer then the F550. I also bought some 4S 8000 (4s2p) packs that I'm going to try out now that I can lift all this extra weight.

Crappy camera phone pictures attached.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:23 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
freaking had tooth issue today and I spent most of the day at the dentist. sheesh, one thing after another, so i am bit behind. I know gary finally got shrimp in the air

nice matt. glad the 13" and the hengli pancake worked for you. I still have not touched teh 3508, but looks promising. it has long wires and quality looks nice, but the hengli is very high quality a swell. (I think winding on hengli is actually bit nicer) but 3508 is bit cheaper.

ken: I used to ride fair amount of MTB, but have not done it since I got married. Hight intensity interval training is what I am upto right now. great for improving my VO2 max. with my body build, I will never be top cyclist LOL.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokla55 View Post
Wow!! Great video.
Really looks like a great setup
How is the flight time now compared to you F550 with the same batteries?

Thinking about ordering a lobster myself. Only reason I still haven't is because I am too curious about the King Crab
Thanks Kokla
Surprisingly I get the same 6-7min flight time with the Lobster as I did on the 550 with 5000mah 4S. I usually end up with 3.6-3.7v per cell after the flight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
I just maidened my Lobster in the backyard and it is sooooo smooth in the air!
Looking good and congrats on the successful maiden
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:29 PM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
803 Posts
GoPro 3

This is one frame of some 2.7k @ 30fps video that I tried out today. Naturally it is quite a bit lower resolution than taking a picture. It wouldn't print too well, but works fine for just an online picture. Just playin' with the new GoPro3, trying to test out all the options. Sold my AG550 v1 today, and wanted to take one last flight this evening, before I have to take it off and ship it tomorrow. I've had such good luck with my v.1, but the v.2's look so much nicer, and have the modded tilt servo. I'll be going through withdrawal until my new one comes. (hurry Gary) -- JOHN
digitalCAM is online now Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Last edited by digitalCAM; Nov 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
This is one frame of some 2.7k @ 30fps video that I tried out today. Naturally it is quite a bit lower resolution than taking a picture. It wouldn't print too well, but works fine for just an online picture. Just playin' with the new GoPro3, trying to test out all the options. Sold my AG550 v1 today, and wanted to take one last flight this evening, before I have to take it off and ship it tomorrow. I've had such good luck with my v.1, but the v.2's look so much nicer, and have the modded tilt servo. I'll be going through withdrawal until my new one comes. (hurry Gary) -- JOHN
Have you tried the option that takes timelapse pictures whilst you film?
Not sure if it works when filming in 2.7k but pics look pretty good ^^.
Closed Thread