SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:21 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Finally got my Shrimp finished. I would've got a test flight in, but I remembered that I forgot to do the Naza/GPS compass calibration. I'll do that in the morning, and give it a "whirl".

AUW with the AG500/Hero3, the "extra" GoPro and a 4s-5800 Zippy is 6lb 10.5oz/3020g.

-- Gary
Nice.
Do the motor mounts need a screw with spacer at the very end of them? I looks that it could flex...
tigar is online now Find More Posts by tigar
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:38 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
796 Posts
GoPro 3

This is just a quick test of GoPro3 set to 1440 at 48 fps. ProTune is on. There is no color correction or anything other than to edit it shorter. Seems to work on my AG550 just fine, with no jello or vibration problems. -- JOHN --
GoPro3 1440 at 48 fps (0 min 0 sec)
Edit: oops, when I rendered it, I did it at 1920 instead of 1440, so I have black on both sides.
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Last edited by digitalCAM; Nov 26, 2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:47 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigar View Post
Nice.
Do the motor mounts need a screw with spacer at the very end of them? I looks that it could flex...
No, these plates are really thick and very stiff. There's zero flex that I can tell.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:08 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
This is just a quick test of GoPro3 set to 1440 at 48 fps. ProTune is on. There is no color correction or anything other than to edit it shorter. Seems to work on my AG550 just fine, with no jello or vibration problems. -- JOHN -- http://youtu.be/U-_hwcX2NEc Edit: oops, when I rendered it, I did it at 1920 instead of 1440, so I have black on both sides.
looks good. why'd you choose that particular frame rate etc?
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:45 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
looks good. why'd you choose that particular frame rate etc?
Just wanted to try it. Never had a camera where either 1440 or 48fps was an option. Had to try it at least once. -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:46 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Yes, I was curious about why that mode as well. Looks very good, though.

Below is a quick test clip I did from my deck with the Hero3. It was shot in the 2.7k/30p mode, with WB set to raw and ProTune enabled. I've been playing a little with Mercalli v2, for stabilization, and Magic Bullet Looks for correcting the lens distortion and for tweaking the color a bit. I only cropped down the image about 10%, to remove the Mercalli borders, and then exported the output at 1080p using a 100% quality Quicktime MP4/H.264 format.

http://vimeo.com/user14833999/review...866/97b28ee844
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
819 Posts
Here is some "raw" test footage from the Lobster
Now that vibrations and bouncing have been resolved after switching from the DJI550, I'll be tweaking the HF gimbal board settings some more...
Using the AG600 Gimbal and Sony NEX-5n with 16mm lens, and as you can see the Avrotos with 11x5 Graupners work just fine

AGY700 Y6 "Lobster" with NEX-5n 16mm trials (3 min 2 sec)
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:57 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
very nice video glad it is working well for you. we spent ton of work on coming up wiht integrated solution to stable video . it really does take full setup to get full benefit though and even though it took us a bit of time to finally release the frame, the result really speak for themselves.

like I've mentioned only gain you will get from higher pitch on the bottom is bit more efficiency. I had bearing go out on one of my spindle drive motor on my cnc. spent most of last couple days changing it out. I am now running brushless 230kv outrunner lol. 36v . replacement motor wouldhave taken too long, but I am back up and running.

I got to meet ken sugahara over the weekend.(banana furikake) he is waiting for his shrimp, but he wanted some props. since he was in the area, we've met up. anyway, I am feeling bit tired last few days (been doing insanity workout and started 2nd month, which is monster interval training) but feeling better today. I have some catching up to do.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Nov 26, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Mar 2012
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Yes, I was curious about why that mode as well. Looks very good, though.

Below is a quick test clip I did from my deck with the Hero3. It was shot in the 2.7k/30p mode, with WB set to raw and ProTune enabled. I've been playing a little with Mercalli v2, for stabilization, and Magic Bullet Looks for correcting the lens distortion and for tweaking the color a bit. I only cropped down the image about 10%, to remove the Mercalli borders, and then exported the output at 1080p using a 100% quality Quicktime MP4/H.264 format.

http://vimeo.com/user14833999/review...866/97b28ee844
Tweaks look great as usual. Distortion removal is very nice.
red1one is offline Find More Posts by red1one
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:52 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
Here is some "raw" test footage from the Lobster
Now that vibrations and bouncing have been resolved after switching from the DJI550, I'll be tweaking the HF gimbal board settings some more...
Using the AG600 Gimbal and Sony NEX-5n with 16mm lens, and as you can see the Avrotos with 11x5 Graupners work just fine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShZRDuX2bss
Great looking video. Your getting me excited about finishing mine up. Hopefully I can get it flying tomorrow and after I know that it flies, I'll install the gimbal and FPV setup. I just finished up all of the soldering and now I just need to mount the ESC's, Naza/GPS and receiver.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined Mar 2012
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
very nice video glad it is working well for you. we spent ton of work on coming up wiht integrated solution to stable video . it really does take full setup to get full benefit though and even though it took us a bit of time to finally release the frame, the result really speak for themselves.

like I've mentioned only gain you will get from higher pitch on the bottom is bit more efficiency. I had bearing go out on one of my spindle drive motor on my cnc. spent most of last couple days changing it out. I am now running brushless 230kv outrunner lol. 36v . replacement motor wouldhave taken too long, but I am back up and running.

I got to meet ken sugahara over the weekend.(banana furikake) he is waiting for his shrimp, but he wanted some props. since he was in the area, we've met up. anyway, I am feeling bit tired last few days (been doing insanity workout and started 2nd month, which is monster interval training) but feeling better today. I have some catching up to do.
Thanks Andrey, your work has definitely paid off! I'm spreading the word up here about your great products and service
Glad you are back in the air. You are running 9S? Holy crap
Anyway, I'm just really glad I randomly found you guys searching for 550 gimbals on youtube
Cheers! Ced.

p.s. That insanity workout sounds intense!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
Great looking video. Your getting me excited about finishing mine up. Hopefully I can get it flying tomorrow and after I know that it flies, I'll install the gimbal and FPV setup. I just finished up all of the soldering and now I just need to mount the ESC's, Naza/GPS and receiver.
Thanks Daloaf
I'm not sure if it is the rigid frame or the integrated isolation system, but the Lobster has really worked it's magic. With the 550 I always had random jerkiness and strange bouncing when slowing down or cornering fast...
Sounds like you're almost done putting it together. I was so excited I stayed up till 5:00 am the other day to finish it up . Totally worth it!
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:34 AM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,070 Posts
I was considering getting a DJI F550 but after reading through this thread it appears the lobster is a more stable platform. From what I have read the F550 has issues with arms flexing causing vibrations to the camera. Is the lobster capable of flying if one of the motors goes out? I have never flown this type of configuration. Are there benefits to it? Thanks for any feedback. Would like to move on one soon.
jeff2215 is offline Find More Posts by jeff2215
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:56 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2215 View Post
I was considering getting a DJI F550 but after reading through this thread it appears the lobster is a more stable platform. From what I have read the F550 has issues with arms flexing causing vibrations to the camera. Is the lobster capable of flying if one of the motors goes out? I have never flown this type of configuration. Are there benefits to it? Thanks for any feedback. Would like to move on one soon.
Flat Hex's can land with a motor failure (I have a video I can PM if you'd like) but if you are too heavy it is about impossible. With the AG Gimbal and a Stock F550 I would think you would be too heavy to land without damage.

Y6's are a lot more reliable when it comes to failure. There isn't a drastic tip when the motor stops and the FC can control it a lot easier. It's because the other motor in the coaxial setup just takes on more weight. It puts a ton of strain on the remaining motor but I would think you could land it much easier.

As far as vibrations, I am getting pretty good results from my F550 and I even put on 6 of the "more flexible" black arms everyone seems to worry about. PM me and I can send a video of a boring flight (I posted here before, just don't want to keep reposting). That being said my next rig will be the Lobster, I like the Y6 design for wind purposes. Being near the gulf 15mph winds are common and the Y6's do much better in the wind.

If your choices are the Lobster or F550 with an AG gimbal, i'd go Lobster.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:16 AM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Flat Hex's can land with a motor failure (I have a video I can PM if you'd like) but if you are too heavy it is about impossible. With the AG Gimbal and a Stock F550 I would think you would be too heavy to land without damage.

Y6's are a lot more reliable when it comes to failure. There isn't a drastic tip when the motor stops and the FC can control it a lot easier. It's because the other motor in the coaxial setup just takes on more weight. It puts a ton of strain on the remaining motor but I would think you could land it much easier.

As far as vibrations, I am getting pretty good results from my F550 and I even put on 6 of the "more flexible" black arms everyone seems to worry about. PM me and I can send a video of a boring flight (I posted here before, just don't want to keep reposting). That being said my next rig will be the Lobster, I like the Y6 design for wind purposes. Being near the gulf 15mph winds are common and the Y6's do much better in the wind.

If your choices are the Lobster or F550 with an AG gimbal, i'd go Lobster.
Thanks for the quick feedback. I see that there is a shrimp available too, but not seeing it on the website. Is it much smaller? The biggest camera I would consider using is a GoPro or Nex5n. So would the shrimp be a better option? Thanks again for the feedback.
jeff2215 is offline Find More Posts by jeff2215
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:21 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
When in doubt, overbuy a size bigger. It's so easy to add things to these things like FPV/OSD/Bigger Batteries/LCD Lights/Air-to-air missiles. Shrimp is probably better if portability is your focus but if it isn't why not do the Lobster.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Closed Thread