SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:27 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
285 Posts
Quote:
Test flight went very well! It is very stable and surprisingly quiet.
I also get around the same flight time (7min with 5000mah 4S) as on my 550 although I am now using 11x5 Gaupner props on the Avrotos...

Gary, I have a question about the gains.
I played around during the flight and ended up with 140-140-140-140 / 100-100
I noticed the Lobster wants to yaw to the right. If I yaw right and recenter the stick, it will keep going right for a second....
Do I just increase the Yaw gain? Do I need to rotate one of my arms a bit?

Maybe you could share your gains and any info on this?

Cheers,

Cedric
What size props are you using?
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:43 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
he is using 11" graupners
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:19 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,542 Posts
I went and flew the Pigeon Point lighthouse today between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay, CA. The winds were blowing about 10mph, but I was getting really bad bouncing on the gimbal, enough so that the video, with a few exceptions was unusable. I loosened up the iso mount, just a turn or so, now I'm not sure if it needs to be looser or tighter or if that is the issue at all. I know the gopro I had directly mounted to the frame didn't bounce nearly as much as the NEX 5N on the gimbal. I might just wait to move everything over to the lobster to try to fix the problem as the parts should be coming any day now. I got the lobster just sitting here, but I want to build it once the motors and esc's come. I also ordered a 16mm pancake lens, just in case the bouncing is due to the heavy kit lens or maybe even the wind catching the lens hood. I'll have lots of stuff to experiment with in a few days.
Daloaf is online now Find More Posts by Daloaf
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
I went and flew the Pigeon Point lighthouse today between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay, CA. The winds were blowing about 10mph, but I was getting really bad bouncing on the gimbal, enough so that the video, with a few exceptions was unusable. I loosened up the iso mount, just a turn or so, now I'm not sure if it needs to be looser or tighter or if that is the issue at all. I know the gopro I had directly mounted to the frame didn't bounce nearly as much as the NEX 5N on the gimbal. I might just wait to move everything over to the lobster to try to fix the problem as the parts should be coming any day now. I got the lobster just sitting here, but I want to build it once the motors and esc's come. I also ordered a 16mm pancake lens, just in case the bouncing is due to the heavy kit lens or maybe even the wind catching the lens hood. I'll have lots of stuff to experiment with in a few days.
I really like the first and last pic!
I'm sure the 16mm will help with the bouncing... Lobster is very rigid, I'm sure that will also help a lot vs the "flexy" 550.
By the way I got rid of some random jerkiness by tightening the HF controller board screws a few days ago. They say "loose", I guess mine were too loose...
c3d76 is online now Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
I really like the first and last pic!
I'm sure the 16mm will help with the bouncing... Lobster is very rigid, I'm sure that will also help a lot vs the "flexy" 550.
By the way I got rid of some random jerkiness by tightening the HF controller board screws a few days ago. They say "loose", I guess mine were too loose...
Ya, I'm hoping that the new frame will fix some of my problems. I'll go check my HFG mount, that could be it. The problem has been getting worse over the last 20 flights or so, so I kept adjusting the gimbal, never checked the HFG board.
Daloaf is online now Find More Posts by Daloaf
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:40 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
he is using 11" graupners
LOL. I did not read that part for some reason.

Cedric, the issue is you need to have 11x5 on top and 11x6 on the bottom. You have to have a higher pitch on the bottom because the air is already blowing from the top prop, so the bottom prop needs to bit more air to keep the motor rotating about the same speed to keep it from yawing.

Now the next problem is finding props like this. I wound up using the xinger props, but you will need to balance them in my horizontal and vertical.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdww View Post
LOL. I did not read that part for some reason.

Cedric, the issue is you need to have 11x5 on top and 11x6 on the bottom. You have to have a higher pitch on the bottom because the air is already blowing from the top prop, so the bottom prop needs to bit more air to keep the motor rotating about the same speed to keep it from yawing.

Now the next problem is finding props like this. I wound up using the xinger props, but you will need to balance them in my horizontal and vertical.
Thanks a lot for the explanation!

I guess I will have to go shopping for props again, and Graupner does not have 11x6... I almost tried 11' on the bottom and 10' on top just to see how that would go. If that works I guess I could just get some Graupner 12's for the bottom and use my 11's on top?

I did find a thread where someone fixed their Yaw problem on a Y6 by rotating one of the arms a bit:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....iate-some-help

After reading this I checked if the motor mounts were level, and a couple were very slightly rotated to the left (ccw) which would create right Yaw. So I now have them perfectly level and will see if that helps.
If not I can try rotating the mounts clockwise slightly, although the prop solution would be ideal... I also think/don't like that rotating the arms might affect Yaw differently through the throttle range. We'll see

Thanks again for your input!

Cedric.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:41 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
well, having slightly higher pitch on the bottom helps with efficiency and bit more lift. if you are flying fine with 11x5, i would not worry too much. twist will cause yaw issue.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
well, having slightly higher pitch on the bottom helps with efficiency and bit more lift. if you are flying fine with 11x5, i would not worry too much. twist will cause yaw issue.
Hey Andrey
I see, well it flew great with the 11's but I did not have the camera on the gimbal.
I'm sure fixing the twist will help a lot, but even with the minor Yaw "issue" it was a real pleasure to fly
Here is a short vid of the maiden filmed from my friend's 550. He did not catch any flying, just hovering and testing gains...

AGY700 Y6 "Lobster" Maiden flight (1 min 22 sec)
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:16 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
11,095 Posts
Like Gary said you will need to run a higher gain for yaw.. I don't have my lobster in the air yet but I have had to run about a 20% higher yaw gain than roll / pitch.
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Pilot App *BETA* Overview
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:54 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,163 Posts
Finally got my Shrimp finished. I would've got a test flight in, but I remembered that I forgot to do the Naza/GPS compass calibration. I'll do that in the morning, and give it a "whirl".

AUW with the AG500/Hero3, the "extra" GoPro and a 4s-5800 Zippy is 6lb 10.5oz/3020g.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Finally got my Shrimp finished. I would've got a test flight in, but I remembered that I forgot to do the Naza/GPS compass calibration. I'll do that in the morning, and give it a "whirl".

AUW with the AG500/Hero3, the "extra" GoPro and a 4s-5800 Zippy is 6lb 10.5oz/3020g.

-- Gary
Looking good Gary!
A friend of mine might buy one from you.

I had a few test flights with the Lobster and camera today. All I can say is WOW. What a difference with the DJI550... Same motors, same Gimbal, Same HF board settings and the footage is amazing .
I still have to tweak a few settings but I am really happy with the results.
I'll post a vid later today or tomorrow.

Thanks Gary and Andrey, no regrets at all going with your product

Cedric

P.s. Gary, do you mind sharing your WKM/Naza gain settings? And where is the CG supposed to be, seems I have to put my LIPO way up front to get CG on center of battery tray/LG axis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
Like Gary said you will need to run a higher gain for yaw.. I don't have my lobster in the air yet but I have had to run about a 20% higher yaw gain than roll / pitch.
Thanks, I tried that today and it worked well. I still have right Yaw issue though, but I can get rid of it with 6 clicks left "rudder" trim...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:07 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
Looking good Gary!
A friend of mine might buy one from you.

I had a few test flights with the Lobster and camera today. All I can say is WOW. What a difference with the DJI550... Same motors, same Gimbal, Same HF board settings and the footage is amazing .
I still have to tweak a few settings but I am really happy with the results.
I'll post a vid later today or tomorrow.

Thanks Gary and Andrey, no regrets at all going with your product

Cedric

P.s. Gary, do you mind sharing your WKM/Naza gain settings? And where is the CG supposed to be, seems I have to put my LIPO way up front to get CG on center of battery tray/LG axis...

Thanks, I tried that today and it worked well. I still have right Yaw issue though, but I can get rid of it with 6 clicks left "rudder" trim...
Cedric, did you have extended arms on your DJI F550?
Thanks
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Finally got my Shrimp finished. ..
The Shrimp and the Lobster both interest me. (Although I'm not ready for one yet.) For flying a Nex or GoPro is there any advantage to using the larger Lobster?
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:07 AM
Joined Mar 2012
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
Cedric, did you have extended arms on your DJI F550?
Thanks
I tried the extended arms for a short while and got rid of them.
I think the DJI arms are just too flexible and didn't play well with the extensions..

Here is my experience with them: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5289
Closed Thread