HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined May 2012
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
king crab is x8 version of lobster. gary want go with 13" prop on the 3508 on 6S
When will the king crab be available?
Any picture or video of it yet?

Thanks
kokla55 is offline Find More Posts by kokla55
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:06 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike SF View Post
What is the white material below the RX100?
It's just double stick tape with the paper left on one side so it doesn't stick to the camera. It's used to cushion the camera and absorb vibration.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
A friend of mine happens to have one of these F550 but he has some strange problems from day 1:
Problems F550 DJI (0 min 46 sec)

Has anyone seen these kind of problems before?
maounis is offline Find More Posts by maounis
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:21 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Yes. DO NOT fly with it. Take off all the motors, remove the shrinkwrap on all the bullet connectors and inspect them. Tug on them hard, one or two will probably pop off. Unfortunately, QC has been slipping recently, my F550 also came with motors that had poorly soldered wires. Poorly soldered wires have caused not one, but two crashes for me.

If you keep flying, it will eventually fail and the hexa will crash. So inspect all the plugs, if possible, re-solder ALL of them. That should take care of the problem. Start with the back right motor, looks like that one has a cold solder joint on one plug. But just to be sure, redo all of them on all motors.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:39 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
866 Posts
I would just re-solder all the motor connectors. Their could be a cold solder.

If your flying in GPS mode, move the GPS further away from the battery.
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:05 AM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
285 Posts
Had the exact problem, and so did a friend of mine. The bullet connectors get sloppy. We took the bullet connectors off and solder the wires right into the esc. No more problems with hundreds of flights.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:24 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I hate bullet connectors. just refuse to use them. always solder directly.

king crab is at least few more days away. gary is finishing up the prototype to test. I am doing a another run of shrimp, finishing up the ag500 , I need to machine out ton of clamps and that just take lot of time, so lobster and king crab takes more time.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:11 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,163 Posts
Yes, the King Crab is probably a couple weeks out. I'm struggling just to keep up with getting the new stuff properly supported. I must apologize to those that already have the Lobsters, as I had hoped to get the instructions finished and posted before people go the kits, but that didn't happen. I will try and get that done this weekend.

I also have the Shrimp and Crab versions to do, which I will also do this weekend. I just about have my Shrimp ready-to-go. I just need to program the Naza, the ESCs and load v1.03 into the HFG board. As soon as I get this done, and in the air, I will move to the Crab, which I'll have up on the site in a few days, along with the smaller AG500 gimbal.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maounis View Post
A friend of mine happens to have one of these F550 but he has some strange problems from day 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RebckV-UweU&feature=plcp

Has anyone seen these kind of problems before?
Mine started out exactly like that until this happened:

DJI 550 crash and flip (0 min 21 sec)

It was a bullet connector...
c3d76 is online now Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:06 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Yeah, same thing happened to mine twice. Once with 6 graupner props on, ruined two of them and nicked 3 more. That happened as I was demoing it right in front of people, worst timing ever. It jus flipped and hit the asphalt upside down.

The second time a motor died, it died out at a field and the hexa didn't flip this time. Instead, it dove for the grass at a 60 angle. Only broke one prop, fortunately, I was back in the air the next day after I re-soldered ALL connectors. Haven't had any issues with the motors ever since. Sadly, I'm all out of graupner props now.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
880 Posts
Finally have my Lobster ready to test fly
Build was very straight forward, but I struggled a bit with the AG550v2 to AG600 conversion and attaching the Gimbal to the Lobster. The Voltair Distribution board bolts right into the lower plate, I just used a couple of PC screws and standoffs

Here are a few pics (please ignore the cable management). After I am satisfied everything is working well I will take the top plate off and secure the ESC's, wires, etc...
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:56 PM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdww View Post
Had the exact problem, and so did a friend of mine. The bullet connectors get sloppy. We took the bullet connectors off and solder the wires right into the esc. No more problems with hundreds of flights.
Ditto. I soldered all my avrotos directly to the escs. No problems.
isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
Finally have my Lobster ready to test fly
Build was very straight forward, but I struggled a bit with the AG550v2 to AG600 conversion and attaching the Gimbal to the Lobster. The Voltair Distribution board bolts right into the lower plate, I just used a couple of PC screws and standoffs

Here are a few pics (please ignore the cable management). After I am satisfied everything is working well I will take the top plate off and secure the ESC's, wires, etc...
Test flight went very well! It is very stable and surprisingly quiet.
I also get around the same flight time (7min with 5000mah 4S) as on my 550 although I am now using 11x5 Gaupner props on the Avrotos...

Gary, I have a question about the gains.
I played around during the flight and ended up with 140-140-140-140 / 100-100
I noticed the Lobster wants to yaw to the right. If I yaw right and recenter the stick, it will keep going right for a second....
Do I just increase the Yaw gain? Do I need to rotate one of my arms a bit?

Maybe you could share your gains and any info on this?

Cheers,

Cedric
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:33 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
with Y, you typically want higher yaw gain. that is at least what I've found. otherwise, it flys very neutral and stable. they just fly. looks good
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
with Y, you typically want higher yaw gain. that is at least what I've found. otherwise, it flys very neutral and stable. they just fly. looks good
Thanks Andrey, it is very stable indeed
I guess I'll just assign a switch to play around with Yaw gain next time...
My friend filmed the Lobster maiden from his 550, I'll post it here if the footage looks ok
Closed Thread