HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:36 AM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,878 Posts
The gimbal instructions, on the site, have the HFG scale and acceleration settings that have worked well for me. The roll scaling is 30.3750 and I think the tilt is 7.6250. Acceleration settings vary with the weight of the camera and the moment arm. For instance, something light, like the RX100, or a GoPro, is going to need very little acceleration added. For my NEX-5R/CZ 24mm lens, which I has a lot of weight hanging out front, I have the acceleration in the tilt axis set to about 550, but the roll is only 250. For the heavier, but more compact PJ710V, both acceleration values are around 500. What you do is simply do a series of quick moves and if the servo overshoots, and comes back a bit, you've got it too high.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:23 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
Mark, you apparently have higher expections than I have. I think it looks pretty darn good. The only thing that would have been better to my eye is if you slowed down your yaws. But as far as vibration is concerned. "I'll sign off on it" -- JOHN
Thanks! Yeah the quick yaws was all panic when I hadn't seen anything via FPV for a while because of the sun. I didn't want to LOS it also because of the sun, I figured it would be better to see when the sun wasn't in my FPV camera than struggle the entire time because of the sun in the air (that and I find i'm much smoother on the yaw when in FPV). I'll be buying a WDR fpv cam soon, hopefully this week.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:20 AM
3D Heli and Planes
jbdww's Avatar
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
The gimbal instructions, on the site, have the HFG scale and acceleration settings that have worked well for me. The roll scaling is 30.3750 and I think the tilt is 7.6250. Acceleration settings vary with the weight of the camera and the moment arm. For instance, something light, like the RX100, or a GoPro, is going to need very little acceleration added. For my NEX-5R/CZ 24mm lens, which I has a lot of weight hanging out front, I have the acceleration in the tilt axis set to about 550, but the roll is only 250. For the heavier, but more compact PJ710V, both acceleration values are around 500. What you do is simply do a series of quick moves and if the servo overshoots, and comes back a bit, you've got it too high.

-- Gary
Thank you Gary. I will check out the site. Your Acceleration setting now makes sens.
Joe
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
Registered User
AlanGold's Avatar
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
I'm waiting until January to see if the new Sony pancake 16-50mm lens is going to be any good. I like the size a lot, although I don't know if it will be much lighter then the kit lens. I didn't think to check ebay for a 16mm pancake lens. At $130, it might be worth playing with it, I just wish the image quality was better.
http://www.adorama.com/ISO1650E.html...FYF7QgodcWMA-g
I should be receiving a Nex 6 and 16-50 any day now so I'll see what I think about it. The 16 2.8 pancake lens was not considered so great. (I'm used to using $2000+ Canon TSE lenses.) But it is probably good enough for most uses and certainly for video. There are fisheye and rectilinear "ultra wide" conversion lenses for it. 16mm on APS is only equal to a 24 on 24x36 format so it is not all that wide on its own.

But the new 16-50 has image stabilization and I think most users feel it performs better at 16 than the 16 2.8 does. It only weighs 4 ounces. The 18-55 lens weighs 6.9 ounces. The 16 2.8 weighs 2.5 ounces.

I am very new at this... just learning to fly a quad. But my goal is to do still AP work using a Nex and the 16-50. I'll also use it for video I think. But I might try out the GoPro 3 Black model which has 3 different fields of view. I think the new GoPro is supposed to ship after Nov 30th and I think there are some features that will only be supported with a firmware update that will come later. So it is kind of wait and see.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:57 PM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,878 Posts
I'm hopeful the new 16-50 lens' OIS feature will work similar to how well this function works in the RX100. The 18-55mm kit lens supposedly has OIS, but frankly I could never tell the difference.

I have the Hero3 (actually two now...), but I haven't had time to play with it at all, except to mount it on a test yoke. One setup I'm going to try, at some point, is to have a special AG700 yoke setup with both H3s mounted. I want to do a comparison, for instance, with the 2k30p mode vs 1080/60p. I'd also like to try using the narrower FOV settings at the same time as the regular setting.

Anyway... back to the grind...

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:41 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
I'm hopeful the new 16-50 lens' OIS feature will work similar to how well this function works in the RX100. The 18-55mm kit lens supposedly has OIS, but frankly I could never tell the difference.

I have the Hero3 (actually two now...), but I haven't had time to play with it at all, except to mount it on a test yoke. One setup I'm going to try, at some point, is to have a special AG700 yoke setup with both H3s mounted. I want to do a comparison, for instance, with the 2k30p mode vs 1080/60p. I'd also like to try using the narrower FOV settings at the same time as the regular setting.

Anyway... back to the grind...

-- Gary
Hey Gary,

I can't tell if OIS works with the 18-55mm lens either,it looks the same as no OIS on the 16mm.... I have a Sony HX9V with great OIS but it is just too sensitive to vibes and I can't use it on any Gimbal.
I really like the Gopro mounting sytem on the AG500 by the way.
Will you be selling the lower plate with longer standoffs seperately and do you think it would be easy to fit onto my upgraded 550v2?
I'm stuck a home today waiting for Fedex to deliver my Hero3, and was thinking about getting the gopro tripod mount: http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/tripod-mount/

I ran into a snag that I forgot to mention about the 550V2 upgrade last time. The original white plastic washer was too wide and prevented the tilt axis from moving freely as it made the whole assembly too tight. I had 2 proper sized washers handy so the problem was easily fixed... (pic1)

I think I also managed to reduce some bounciness with an easy mod (haven't test flown yet with bad weather here). (pic2)
When I used to hold the 550 by the arms and shake it (vigorously), a lot of that was transferred to the Gimbal and the camera would keep on shaking for a while. After the mod the cam shaking/"aftershake" has almost completely disapeared.
I used leftover parts from a cheap Flamegear gimbal I had on my 450, and inserted the white plastic standoffs into the flamegear grommets. The grommets (0.75/0.8mm) are slightly taller than the standoffs and compress just right when tightened.
I have a few left, so I might also give them a try above the AGxxx silicone grommets on the standoffs (although I don't think that will do much).

Don't get me wrong the Gimbal is great as is, but I'll be using my 550 for action videos with aggressive flying. I just wanted to share a 2$ mod that seems to have potential for my purposes.

I'll post back if "magic" happens...

Thanks again for the great product and fantastic service Gary (and Andrey)

P.s Fedex just delivered my Hero3 Black as I was typing
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:18 PM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,878 Posts
By all means, Cedric, if you find something that works better, we are definitely open to adding it to the "mix". Do you still have the rubber grommets in the F550 lower plate slots?

The new AG500 baseplate is going to support both the Hero3 and the RX100. For the latter, there is a second plate that will sit on top of six EAR rubber isolators, that are then mounting to the main camera tray baseplate. There will be an access hole in both plates in order to pass an HDMI cable in to the RX100's oddly positioned HDMI connector.

For use with the H3 (or other GoPro...), there will be a special Delrin piece that attaches to the main plate and to the tabs coming off the GP's plastic case.

Anyway, this new dual-use baseplate will also fit any AG550v2 yoke as well. You just have to move in the arms a bit. We will have a kit. Als, we will eventually will have an AG550v2-AG600 baseplate upgrade as well. That's the only real difference between the AG550v2 and the AG600. We went back to a slightly wider baseplate so that a GH2 will fit. This kit will include a longer yoke tube and the baseplate.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:16 PM
Video Juggernaut
Wingbreaker's Avatar
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
I'm hopeful the new 16-50 lens' OIS feature will work similar to how well this function works in the RX100. The 18-55mm kit lens supposedly has OIS, but frankly I could never tell the difference.

I have the Hero3 (actually two now...), but I haven't had time to play with it at all, except to mount it on a test yoke. One setup I'm going to try, at some point, is to have a special AG700 yoke setup with both H3s mounted. I want to do a comparison, for instance, with the 2k30p mode vs 1080/60p. I'd also like to try using the narrower FOV settings at the same time as the regular setting.

Anyway... back to the grind...

-- Gary

This is exciting! I wont get my gopro until the 19th. I just got fulfillment mail from gopro.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:33 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
By all means, Cedric, if you find something that works better, we are definitely open to adding it to the "mix". Do you still have the rubber grommets in the F550 lower plate slots?

The new AG500 baseplate is going to support both the Hero3 and the RX100. For the latter, there is a second plate that will sit on top of six EAR rubber isolators, that are then mounting to the main camera tray baseplate. There will be an access hole in both plates in order to pass an HDMI cable in to the RX100's oddly positioned HDMI connector.

For use with the H3 (or other GoPro...), there will be a special Delrin piece that attaches to the main plate and to the tabs coming off the GP's plastic case.

Anyway, this new dual-use baseplate will also fit any AG550v2 yoke as well. You just have to move in the arms a bit. We will have a kit. Als, we will eventually will have an AG550v2-AG600 baseplate upgrade as well. That's the only real difference between the AG550v2 and the AG600. We went back to a slightly wider baseplate so that a GH2 will fit. This kit will include a longer yoke tube and the baseplate.

-- Gary
Great Gary, I'll let you know how it works! I actually just came back from getting a Gopro tripod mount and could not test fly the mod because it started raining again...

I still have the original rubber grommets in the lower plate slots and only added the other grommets to the "mix" . And it is very possible that the white standoffs are not even making contact with the lower plate (above) and the LG but only keeping the extra grommet aligned. I did not want to overtighten but it all feels very rigid. I'll confirm that if tests go well...

I'll also keep my eyes open for the Gopro/RX100 and ag550v2 to AG600 kits on your site. I'll probably get both once they are available and I might try the Sony HX9v again to see how that works with the RX100 mount.
The Gopro mount would be ideal as I'd like to leave my NEX5n on the S800/Z15, and have the 550/Shrimp/Lobster as a backup for the NEX just in case. The new Gimbal design with interchangeable plates is really perfect for that

I'll keep you posted!

Cheers, Cedric
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:49 PM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
The gimbal instructions, on the site, have the HFG scale and acceleration settings that have worked well for me. The roll scaling is 30.3750 and I think the tilt is 7.6250. Acceleration settings vary with the weight of the camera and the moment arm. For instance, something light, like the RX100, or a GoPro, is going to need very little acceleration added. For my NEX-5R/CZ 24mm lens, which I has a lot of weight hanging out front, I have the acceleration in the tilt axis set to about 550, but the roll is only 250. For the heavier, but more compact PJ710V, both acceleration values are around 500. What you do is simply do a series of quick moves and if the servo overshoots, and comes back a bit, you've got it too high.

-- Gary
Hmmm, I have been trying to get my roll to smooth out today with my AG550/sony nex5n/16mm pancake lens. First try the acceleration was set to 500 and the roll wobbled badly so I turned it down to 100-better but still wobbling, then I tried 30-slightly better, then I tried -200-better still, but still a little roll shake back and forth. Am I on the right track? I see where your roll is and I have to wonder if I overlooked something.

gimbal tuning (0 min 32 sec)
isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
Last edited by isaacintheclouds; Nov 13, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:09 PM
3D Heli and Planes
jbdww's Avatar
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
244 Posts
Have you guys thought about making the landing gear where you can add another servo for yaw? It may raise the hight of the setup, but it might be a cool add on feature.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:57 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdww View Post
Have you guys thought about making the landing gear where you can add another servo for yaw? It may raise the hight of the setup, but it might be a cool add on feature.
If you search Andreys (Askman) posts and 3 axis I'm sure you'll find his POV. I think he said recently that it was too heavy for the F550 and that was their primary platform focus(I may be wrong). I bet with the lobster and king crab they might consider it but from what I have seen from Gary and Andrey it would be a while. That came across as a bad thing im sure but its actually why they will get me as a customer for life. They refuse to accept "good enough" and will spend countless hour perfecting their products before moving on to the next new exciting item.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:17 PM
Registered User
Philippines, NCR, Quezon City
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
Hi all... I just want to ask what battery do you use to lift F550 and a gopro + gimbal + landing gear?. Did you upgrade your stock motor?! What prop are you using? I only get a max of 5 mins from my 3s 3700mah lipo.
DYORD is offline Find More Posts by DYORD
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:30 PM
Videopilot
Derek_S's Avatar
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,706 Posts
Most multis for lifting I think will be using 4s or greater. This helps keep your amps lower and flight times longer.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:53 PM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacintheclouds View Post
Hmmm, I have been trying to get my roll to smooth out today with my AG550/sony nex5n/16mm pancake lens. First try the acceleration was set to 500 and the roll wobbled badly so I turned it down to 100-better but still wobbling, then I tried 30-slightly better, then I tried -200-better still, but still a little roll shake back and forth. Am I on the right track? I see where your roll is and I have to wonder if I overlooked something.
Something is not right. It is almost like something in the roll axis is loose. Check the roll pulley. You can hold the yoke, and see if the roll pulley moves. If it does, look at the pulley shaft while you move it back and forth. If the shaft doesn't move, the pulley setscrews are probably loose. If the shaft moves with the pulley, the screw that holds the 1/4" pulley shaft to the 1/2" hub is loose. If neither of these are loose, and the belt is not slipping, the only thing I can think of is maybe its a bad servo, or maybe a broken tooth. Does it turn smoothly?

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Sony Nex 5n aerial samples. jeffscholl Aerial Photography 1322 Yesterday 06:37 PM
Discussion DJI WK-M - Droidworx Hex Build Huddo Multirotor Talk 41 Dec 31, 2011 07:58 AM
Discussion Sony NEX 5N raw video footage SeismicCWave Multirotor Talk 5 Nov 17, 2011 12:10 AM
Discussion Which is best: "Sony Nex 5" or "Panasonic GH2"? babanan Aerial Photography 6 Sep 08, 2011 04:27 PM
Discussion What gyros to use on a 2 Axis camera gimbal? Voguna Aerial Photography 0 Mar 13, 2011 11:51 AM