to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:04 AM
North Central Positronics
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffem62 View Post
If its not ditch the 18 mm lens and go with the 16 pancake lens. Much lighter and you will lose some of the Gimble flexing.
Is THIS it? It's not way wide angle like a go pro is it?

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:17 AM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill View Post
Is THIS it? It's not way wide angle like a go pro is it?

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
Yes, that is it. I am also using the pancake lens. It does not give you the fisheye affect like the go pro. It is a really nice lens.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
24 Posts
Avroto 2814's and A600 Gimbal on f550

So....

I'm pulling the trigger on this setup for my f550 clone! I've tried to sift through the 365 pages on this killer thread, but feel like I may have some specific questions that I may have missed throughout. I will likely be flying the Lumix GH2 and soon the GH3. Have any of you had problems with arm failure? Also, since the mounting holes are 16mm and 19mm currently how have you adapted the arms to accomodate the 19mm and 25mm mounting holes on the Avroto 2814's?

Any other thoughts or insight on things I might encounter would be great! Anoyone have NAZA gains for a similar setup? Flight times? Etc?

My setup:
f550 clone v2 with integrated PCB
NAZA w/GPS
10x5 graupners
Avroto 2814's (soon)
30A Plush ESC's
4s 5000 mAh (can run two for 10000 mAh)
A600 gimbal with landing gear and anti-vibration plate (soon!)

Thanks so much!
Will Kruger
wkruger is offline Find More Posts by wkruger
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:10 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
No broken arms ever here but the arms on the F550 clone are not as good as the real ones. I have read about brittle arms and extra vibrations from the clones.

I have a F550 with a AG550v2 Gimbal, stock motors/ESCs, Sony rx100 and FPV gear. I get about 6 minutes from my 4S 5000mah batteries. I have never put two packs on because for what I do I am happier with 2-6min flights versus 1-8ish minute flight. Plus my motors can get warm, i'd rather they get a break while I switch packs than run them longer.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:29 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkruger View Post
So....

I'm pulling the trigger on this setup for my f550 clone! I've tried to sift through the 365 pages on this killer thread, but feel like I may have some specific questions that I may have missed throughout. I will likely be flying the Lumix GH2 and soon the GH3. Have any of you had problems with arm failure? Also, since the mounting holes are 16mm and 19mm currently how have you adapted the arms to accomodate the 19mm and 25mm mounting holes on the Avroto 2814's?

Any other thoughts or insight on things I might encounter would be great! Anoyone have NAZA gains for a similar setup? Flight times? Etc?

My setup:
NAZA w/GPS
10x5 graupners
Avroto 2814's (soon)
30A Plush ESC's

Thanks so much!
Will Kruger
I looked at the clones as well, but I found the price difference between the clones and the real ones wasn't that great and I liked that I could get really inexpensive parts for the real one locally. So I have no idea about the arms breaking, but the only issue I have had with the arms breaking is during crashes, which is to be expected. And again, locally, I can get arms for $4.50 each so repairs are really cheap. With the Avrotos, you should have no problems lifting the AG600 and a decent size camera (like NEX 5N). My stock motors are lifting my 8.5lb copter without much issue, although I do feel like I'm on the top end of what they can handle. As for the plush ESC's, make sure you flash them with Simon K firmware or buy some other brand 30A escs that are pre-flashed. They will run much better. And I also agree, 1 4s 5000 pack at a time is the way to go. Adding a second battery doesn't double the flight time because it adds so much weight and your motors have to work harder to keep the copter aloft. There usually is a sweet spot though like 5800mah packs or so. I found that the lighter flightmax compact 4S5000 packs and the Flightmax 5800mah packs give me almost the same flight time, but both give me about 30 seconds more then the heavy Skylipo (hobbypartz) 4s 5000 pack.
Daloaf is online now Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:38 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Boring fly around a friends house that is being built. It was a horrible time to fly because of the sun (blinded me, black FPV screen 50% of the flight) but wanted to show him the progress they have made on the roof and such. I am having a lot of vibration issues and balancing the props isn't enough. I am starting to think it is a motor after a spirited landing but wanted a second opinion before I start replacing. None of my spirited landings have touched the gimbal but wanted to make sure yall don't think something is wrong there. Also... why is the vibes showing most in the bottom right of the picture, is that just where the IOS is being overtaxed? Should I try to tighten/loosen the isolators? Which?

I have been troubleshooting this a while and re balancing the props helped a little, but I now need professional advice. Frame is all tight and this vid is raw.
GCC 11-8-2012 (4 min 0 sec)
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
So....

My setup:
NAZA w/GPS
10x5 graupners
Avroto 2814's (soon)
30A Plush ESC's

Thanks so much!
Will Kruger
I have been running the Avrotos on the stock DJI arms using stock motor screws. Motors are really great with 10x5 Graupners, they stay cool and hover (in manual mode) at 50% throtlle with 4S 5000mah / AG550V2 gimbal / NEX5n 16mm lens. Good thing is I can use them with bigger props if/when I upgrade to a Lobster platform...

You just need to drill 2 extra holes in the stock arms (aligned with avroto mounting plate), and grind down some plastic on one of them for the screw to fit...
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:14 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Boring fly around a friends house that is being built. It was a horrible time to fly because of the sun (blinded me, black FPV screen 50% of the flight) but wanted to show him the progress they have made on the roof and such. I am having a lot of vibration issues and balancing the props isn't enough. I am starting to think it is a motor after a spirited landing but wanted a second opinion before I start replacing. None of my spirited landings have touched the gimbal but wanted to make sure yall don't think something is wrong there. Also... why is the vibes showing most in the bottom right of the picture, is that just where the IOS is being overtaxed? Should I try to tighten/loosen the isolators? Which?

I have been troubleshooting this a while and re balancing the props helped a little, but I now need professional advice. Frame is all tight and this vid is raw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NTxNUWsBL0
Whatever adjusting you need to do, it's minimal, from what I could see in the youtube video at 1080p, your really close. I only really noticed the vibs when you were taking off and climbing at the beginning of the video and a few times while flying forward. I would play with the loosening the isolators, but very little as I think your pretty close to as good as it gets with this setup.
Daloaf is online now Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Jun 2012
24 Posts
That's fantastic - thanks for the reply and pics...very helpful!

Do you remembe what bit you used? Also, how did you grind out the space for the head of the hex screw?

What kind of flight time are you getting with 4s 5000 mAh
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Jun 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
I have been running the Avrotos on the stock DJI arms using stock motor screws. Motors are really great with 10x5 Graupners, they stay cool and hover (in manual mode) at 50% throtlle with 4S 5000mah / AG550V2 gimbal / NEX5n 16mm lens. Good thing is I can use them with bigger props if/when I upgrade to a Lobster platform...

You just need to drill 2 extra holes in the stock arms (aligned with avroto mounting plate), and grind down some plastic on one of them for the screw to fit...

Do you remembe what bit you used? Also, how did you grind out the space for the head of the hex screw?

Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
795 Posts
Quote:

You're welcome
I think it was a 1/8 drill bit, and I used a dremel bit similar to this one to grind the plastic:
http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...96009328lg.jpg
The one I have has a long shaft so the landing legs were not in the way...

I get around 6-7min with a 5000mah 4S.

Ahh, I just found the vid that helped me out

Modifying DJI F 550 Hex frame for Avroto 2814 motors (12 min 26 sec)

(I used a regular cordless drill and 2 screws and nuts to secure the plate for drilling mine)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:15 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
276 Posts
Hey Gary,
Do you recall your HFG controllers settings. I am using the AG600 V2 gimbal, and I get a slight bounce in my video. I am trying to figure out the last mile on my setup.

Maybe you guys could create some kind of wiki on your site that documents all that you have learned.

On the lobster flight times are you getting? I see your setup on the videos.

Thank you guys for creating a great product.
Joe
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Jun 2012
24 Posts
C3 - thanks again for the links and info.

What FC are you using? I have NAZA + GPS and am looking for some good baseline gains to start with...
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
C3 - thanks again for the links and info.

What FC are you using? I have NAZA + GPS and am looking for some good baseline gains to start with...
No problem Will.
I'm also using Naza + GPS. Gains will depend on setup and preference, but so far on my 550 I am at: 170-170-150-160 / 130-130.
Cedric.
Closed Thread