Closed Thread
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:52 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Yes, I agree, but for me folding wasn't about pinching wires (on my DIY frames I used a small wire protector material like under the hood of your car). My problems was making the frame nice and stiff without having to break out the tools and dropping bolts/nuts/washers in the grass...

Sorry for so many, but another question is where do I order the zinger props? On TPacks once it is re-launched? I would love to try but I emailed Joe at http://www.zingerpropeller.com and they asked for my credit card number directly, which makes me very leary.
I carry zingers in 9-12" length and 4-5" pitch.

well, my view of folding is that you don't want to mess with folding at the field. it should be only used for airline travel or long distance travel. why I tend to like more compact multi that most. my main units are pair of shrimps and it is pretty compact to begin with. even lobster is smaller than most hexa. Y6 just lends itself to travel better IMHO compared to hexa.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
When using the NAZA to control the AG Gimbal servos but want to use the power from a separate BEC or Lipo is the below wiring diagram correct? Do I need to be concern about using separate grounds?
Found what I was looking for in the wiring.

gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:03 PM
A new day, a new gadget
Brighton, UK
Joined May 2006
571 Posts
Folding

Some of us have small cars and have to fold! But it's only two bolts to remove and reinsert and I have butterfly nuts so easy at the field. Glued on washers on the frame to protect it from wear. Here is a pic - the little mast thing behind the GPS aerial is to protect it as it sits in the front trunk of my car. The ESC power cables are well secured and sized to flex. Takes about two minutes to transition from one state to the other.
Garry s is offline Find More Posts by Garry s
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:38 PM
... and other flying animals
Joined Apr 2012
217 Posts
Looks like you can transport it by motorcycle
Flying Rabbit is offline Find More Posts by Flying Rabbit
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:12 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
folding forward is also pretty tight. that is how my shrimp is. (and very little chance of wire pinching folding forward. anyway, very nice looking setup you got there. very tight )

beside the wire pinch issues, the current design has crossbar inside the frame, which add lot of rigidity, which preclude folding back. every design, there is compromise. why there are so many frame to fit lot of people. the current lobster/crab is set for now, but we can look at more compact design in the future. square tube arm is much more amenable to folding design than round. carbon copter is also nice, but I really hate those pim nuts. I've seen some interesting designs for folders though and my come to fruition when I can find bit of extra bandwidth.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:16 PM
A new day, a new gadget
Brighton, UK
Joined May 2006
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
very nice looking setup you got there. very tight )
Thanks and thanks very much indeed for the V1.5 parts you kindly sent. That was above and beyond, I think. But unless I have it completely wrong, I think I need to drill new holes on my frame as the new plate doesn't extend so far out to the front and the two parts that take the anti vibe squishy bits sit much farther back than in the V1? Sorry if I have that wrong, I tried to find pics in this thread but it's so long.... also what is the square piece with the hole in the middle for?

Apologies for asking this as I'm sure you covered it but I can't find it in all these pages....
Garry s is offline Find More Posts by Garry s
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:38 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,814 Posts
Strange question, but why do I see many setups using a gopro camera only to point at either the primary camera or as a seeming flight cam (example is Gary's post 5308). Is this being used to somehow document/record the AP process, or to line up shots, or???
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Strange question, but why do I see many setups using a gopro camera only to point at either the primary camera or as a seeming flight cam (example is Gary's post 5308). Is this being used to somehow document/record the AP process, or to line up shots, or???
Some might be using another camera for FPV or to line up shots if the main camera has no video out, but Gary for example uses it to show how effective the vibration isolation from the gimbal is (vs gopro hard mounted) as well as how the gimbal counters the movements of the copter with roll and tilt...
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:51 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,541 Posts
In these cases, it's just to show the motion of the copter in comparison to the movement of the camera gimbal. It gives you a way of seeing how stable the gimbal is, while being able to see what the copter is doing. That's why you tend to see those shots in a picture in picture shot with the actual gimbal camera footage. Now I run two cameras, a NEX 5N and a GoPro on my copter so that I have a backup should one camera fail. It's also two camera documenting everything should I crash.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:56 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,814 Posts
Interesting, I was thinking it was as a FPV cam, but was wondering why not use a regular SD camera. I assume that is the "lobster" in Gary's post? I have not been very successful in finding much info on it or the crab, and have been looking into the the Rusty's frames as well for potential y6 options.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:36 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Quote:
When using the NAZA to control the AG Gimbal servos but want to use the power from a separate BEC or Lipo is the below wiring diagram correct? Do I need to be concern about using separate grounds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdww View Post
Yes. You need to have the ground wire connected to all three devices, Naza, BEC, Servo. If you do not, then the signal will not have a reference ground and you will get a jumpy servo.
Quote:
If the Naza & Bec are using the same ground/Lipo would that be correct? Or does the ground actually have to come out of the Naza & Bec to the servo?

What if I am using a separate battery? Would you want to connect the grounds form two separate Lipo's?
I connected the grounds and so far, everything is smooth. Here is a wiring diagram I came up with to use only servo Y connectors, and ultimately a more compact version that I made, which is essentially exactly the same connections. As it turns out, my "wiring diagram" is technically the same as in the AG550 manual. It pays to read the manual first .

Derek
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Mar 2008
866 Posts
I tried looking for the AG550 manual. Where may I locate it?
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Mar 2008
866 Posts
Quote:
I tried looking for the AG550 manual. Where may I locate it?
Ok, I found the manual
http://www.rc-drones.com/AG550-NX-Assembly.pdf

The direction for the servo connections & grounds is for a separate a Gimbal Controller, so you would need the grounds. I am talking about the grounds from the Naza. I do not think you will need them.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Hello all members in this thread.

Because I was felt the ability limitations of my equipent(my skills too,off couse),I have just finished reading this thread from a few days ago to now.

It's a hard work for me to understand this thread more than 350 pages.

In this thread,there is a lot of useful hints to improve my rigs.
I'll try that I can do.
As the first, I'll add a regulator to destribute adequate voltage and current for servos.
And I should order dedicated gimbal controller.etc.etc.etc...
Off course I'm very interested AG700,AG600,And Lobster Y6.
And a few months later,I'll try these products,if i can.
I'm looking forward to Mr.Gary's new web site.

P.S. Sorry for my poor english.
zubon2003 is offline Find More Posts by zubon2003
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Aug 2005
5 Posts
The updated site is online now www.tppacks.com
TomasLundberg is offline Find More Posts by TomasLundberg
Closed Thread