HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:32 AM
3D Heli and Planes
jbdww's Avatar
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
276 Posts
I have two questions.
1. What size props are you guys using on the lobster, and what battery and motors?

2. I have the V2 gimbals, and it looks like I have a slight shutter in the roll access. I can post a video and see what you guys think. It is the last little bit that I would like to fix.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:55 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Really am interested in the lobster.
Just wondering.
How is the flight time with this?
I really want more than the 6min I have with my F550.
kokla55 is offline Find More Posts by kokla55
Last edited by kokla55; Nov 05, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:56 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Ops..double post
kokla55 is offline Find More Posts by kokla55
Last edited by kokla55; Nov 05, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:50 PM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,084 Posts
lobster can be setup with bigger prop and bigger pack. flight time will depends on setup, but with 4S8000 pack and with select motor, we should get 10+ min. you need at least 12" prop or bigger setup though. I think with 12" and good pancake, you can get 10min pretty easy with 4S8000 pack.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:05 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
That's what I wanted to hear
Will I be able to use the lobster with my AG550 V1.2?
kokla55 is offline Find More Posts by kokla55
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:14 PM
Registered User
gww528's Avatar
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
lobster can be setup with bigger prop and bigger pack. flight time will depends on setup, but with 4S8000 pack and with select motor, we should get 10+ min. you need at least 12" prop or bigger setup though. I think with 12" and good pancake, you can get 10min pretty easy with 4S8000 pack.
What brand lipo 4S 8000 mAH packs are you using?
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:20 PM
3D Heli and Planes
jbdww's Avatar
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
lobster can be setup with bigger prop and bigger pack. flight time will depends on setup, but with 4S8000 pack and with select motor, we should get 10+ min. you need at least 12" prop or bigger setup though. I think with 12" and good pancake, you can get 10min pretty easy with 4S8000 pack.
What motor and prop size / pitch. Since it is a Y6, do you need a different size on top vs on the bottom.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:32 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
Daloaf's Avatar
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,443 Posts
Another video with the AG550V2/AG600. I added the new yoke right before going out to fly and it didn't get the horizon level to start with, that's why it's slightly tilted. Otherwise, the video was pretty dang stable with the new CF duel plates above the iso plate (custom from Askman), the additional iso plate (2 layers) and the new yoke. The only bouncing that I really had was when the copter itself was bouncing during hard sideways maneuvers or descending too fast.

Seabirds of Foster City, CA viewed from above (3 min 37 sec)
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:12 PM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,084 Posts
very nice daloaf.

on the lobster and crab, there is hole for mounting current gimbal IMS. (including v1.x) with the tube IMS, we will have integrated isolation scheme for the frame that will raise the bar to the next level. so, if you want to use existing ims, you will need to purchase it without the integrated IMS.

I am in full production mode right now and very busy. have to get the gimbals finished and frames finished to ship. I know gary is going live anytime now


I 've been using zingers. 12-4/12-5 combo or 10-4, 10-5 combo (or 9-4/9-5 on shrimp) 1" higher pitch on the bottom for motor, I think the new 3508 sunnysky is looking good, but I've been using wl4822-690kv and it is pretty efficient. it does have strange mounting holes on it though, so will need different mount.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Nov 05, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:44 PM
FPV ADDICT
Wirewolf903's Avatar
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdww View Post
What motor and prop size / pitch. Since it is a Y6, do you need a different size on top vs on the bottom.
I think running larger props on the bottom kinda depend on the flying platform and type props used. I've tried APC SF on my Y6 550 and find it flys the best (more stable) with the same size top and bottom. I want to try those wood props askman uses and ill put larger props on bottom as he suggests.
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:43 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
Another video with the AG550V2/AG600. I added the new yoke right before going out to fly and it didn't get the horizon level to start with, that's why it's slightly tilted. Otherwise, the video was pretty dang stable with the new CF duel plates above the iso plate (custom from Askman), the additional iso plate (2 layers) and the new yoke. The only bouncing that I really had was when the copter itself was bouncing during hard sideways maneuvers or descending too fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lljwGuLMEB8
Very nice, looking forward to trying the upgrade.
I have bouncing, but the footage looks great with a little stabilization in Sony Vegas...
I noticed when I got the Gimbal that the (pre-installed) tilt belt was not tight at all. I have now made it fairly tight and I'm wondering If that could have something to do with the bouncing?

Here is a sample:
DJI 550 With AG550v2 Gimbal (NEX-5n) - RAW- (1 min 50 sec)
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:07 PM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Say it ain't so!
Details plz... I want to know what to fear.
Mark, The only thing to fear is getting old and senile like me. -- JOHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
Oh no John, sorry to hear about that.
Matt, Was really dumb. Was in Hawaii. Had my mask, fins, and snorkel. Had my GoPro on a head strap and my Rx100 in my swim suit pocket. Guess what i forgot to do before going into the water. -- Oh, and I enjoyed your birds video, liked the choice of music also. -- JOHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
sorry to hear about the water landing john hopefully it is not salt water and is repairable
Andrey, All is not lost. Since I bought the RX100 specifically for flying, it is the only time I have ever purchased an "Accidental Damage" policy. Only downside is the hassle of mailing it in and waiting for a replacement. But it still beats having to buy another. -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:50 PM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,084 Posts
lmao john. it was truly accidental. not crash damage indeed. glad you were covered. phew. I do envy your hawaiian adventure. I am too poor to have vacation this year. trying to make this into full time business is not easy. why customer care is number 1 deal. people don't realize how much money and work goes into doing this, especially when you are pushing the envelope. the real reward comes when people post great looking videos using the product that we (that is both gary and myself) have worked very hard on. frankly, if money was the object, I would have been better working for others. it has to be a passion or you are no better than someone who sells in goodluckbuy lol.

and we are flattered that others are copying. we will stay one step ahead though
anyway, back to the shop. have to get thigns done.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:17 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
A lot of questions from me this time
I know it depends on motors, propellers etc.. but what is the lifting capacity with the lobster and gimbal?
What Is the size of the lobster?
A picture of a AGY700 beside a f550 would be great
Thanks
kokla55 is offline Find More Posts by kokla55
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:41 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
Daloaf's Avatar
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
Very nice, looking forward to trying the upgrade.
I have bouncing, but the footage looks great with a little stabilization in Sony Vegas...
I noticed when I got the Gimbal that the (pre-installed) tilt belt was not tight at all. I have now made it fairly tight and I'm wondering If that could have something to do with the bouncing?

Here is a sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrk93kz2BCs
I was wondering the same thing about how tight the belt should be. I tried it a little looser and the belt slipped and my camera tilted down in flight. Now it's pretty tight, but hoping not too tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
Mark, The only thing to fear is getting old and senile like me. -- JOHN

Matt, Was really dumb. Was in Hawaii. Had my mask, fins, and snorkel. Had my GoPro on a head strap and my Rx100 in my swim suit pocket. Guess what i forgot to do before going into the water. -- Oh, and I enjoyed your birds video, liked the choice of music also. -- JOHN

Andrey, All is not lost. Since I bought the RX100 specifically for flying, it is the only time I have ever purchased an "Accidental Damage" policy. Only downside is the hassle of mailing it in and waiting for a replacement. But it still beats having to buy another. -- JOHN
I'm really glad you bought the replacement plan for the camera, really smart on a camera your usually flying with. I didn't buy one on my NEX 5N and was worried I would regret it, but now that NEX 5N's are going for $300 and the replacement plane was $140, I don't feel so bad. Btw, when I was in my 20's I dove into a swimming pool with my phone and wallet in my shorts pocket. I forgot to take them out after going to the concession stand, lol. So don't feel too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
lmao john. it was truly accidental. not crash damage indeed. glad you were covered. phew. I do envy your hawaiian adventure. I am too poor to have vacation this year. trying to make this into full time business is not easy. why customer care is number 1 deal. people don't realize how much money and work goes into doing this, especially when you are pushing the envelope. the real reward comes when people post great looking videos using the product that we (that is both gary and myself) have worked very hard on. frankly, if money was the object, I would have been better working for others. it has to be a passion or you are no better than someone who sells in goodluckbuy lol.

and we are flattered that others are copying. we will stay one step ahead though
anyway, back to the shop. have to get thigns done.
It makes sense that some of the best products come from those individuals that are the most passionate about making them. For years I only flew 3DHobby Shop 3D balsa airplanes because the owner was on RCgroups daily, he worked with some amazing designers (Scoot Stoops and Andrew Jesky) and ran a class act show with the best customer support I have ever seen. They have grown a bit and had some changes, but the airplanes are still top notch. That being said, that's the same thing that drew me to your gimbal. The fact that your making an amazing product and are contently working on making it better. And your communication online, keeping us informed and educated. So keep up the good work and hopefully this leads you to making a decent living (or better) off of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokla55 View Post
A lot of questions from me this time
I know it depends on motors, propellers etc.. but what is the lifting capacity with the lobster and gimbal?
What Is the size of the lobster?
A picture of a AGY700 beside a f550 would be great
Thanks
It really does depend on the prop size, battery cell count and motor size. You can put some massive motors on there as long as you find a KV that will fit a 12" prop, as that it was it recommended for this size Y-6. So you might only get a few minute flight, but you should be able to lift a lot. That being said, most people balancing lifting with flight time to get the best all around experience. I think the lobster is 650 or 670mm, can't remember, but Andrey will tell ya.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daloaf; Nov 05, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Sony Nex 5n aerial samples. jeffscholl Aerial Photography 1430 Jul 26, 2014 03:28 PM
Discussion DJI WK-M - Droidworx Hex Build Huddo Multirotor Talk 41 Dec 31, 2011 07:58 AM
Discussion Sony NEX 5N raw video footage SeismicCWave Multirotor Talk 5 Nov 17, 2011 12:10 AM
Discussion Which is best: "Sony Nex 5" or "Panasonic GH2"? babanan Aerial Photography 6 Sep 08, 2011 04:27 PM
Discussion What gyros to use on a 2 Axis camera gimbal? Voguna Aerial Photography 0 Mar 13, 2011 11:51 AM