Closed Thread
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:28 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces Are Wild View Post
Back to 1.03 I go! I'll test some more tomorrow. Thanks Daloaf! Now, any ideas on the IR trigger or why the roll axis is shaking even with an acceleration gain of 0?

-G
Gary or some of the other guys might have some ideas why your getting that jittering. I would say, try putting Gary's recommended settings and fly it again and see if the gimbal performs any better.

Try a few things with the IR trigger. First make sure the camera's shooting mode is in remote. Then try to shoot in the (Auto) mode with AF turned on and see if it works. Then try shooting in S (Shutter) with AF turned on. If that doesn't work, turn off AF and try it again. Basically see if you can get it to shoot in any mode with AF turned on . There are some guys that say that you should always shoot in manual mode with manual focus and F18-F22 aperture, so you get most things in focus, but I have had good luck shooting in shutter with AF on. I like getting my shots (in focus) with minimal fuss.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:31 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Still experimenting...

I had some fun making a brief slide show from a few aerial photos. These were taken from my CarbonCore Y6 with the AG550 v1.5 gimbal and my GH2 camera with 14-42 kit lens set at 14mm and all auto.

It's only 4 photos and 14 seconds long , but you get the idea. I took about 2 dozen photos in this flight, but they were mostly all the same. I need to learn to mix it up some more.

Taking a 4796 x 2800 pixel still photo, then use pan and zoom within a video editor, is yet another creative option for our AV/AP copters! The clarity and color and all that good stuff is really really nice from still photos. And you have complete control of pan and zoom .

Derek

AG550 with GH2 - photo slide show test (0 min 14 sec)
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:12 AM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Mar 2012
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
I had some fun making a brief slide show from a few aerial photos. These were taken from my CarbonCore Y6 with the AG550 v1.5 gimbal and my GH2 camera with 14-42 kit lens set at 14mm and all auto.

It's only 4 photos and 14 seconds long , but you get the idea. I took about 2 dozen photos in this flight, but they were mostly all the same. I need to learn to mix it up some more.

Taking a 4796 x 2800 pixel still photo, then use pan and zoom within a video editor, is yet another creative option for our AV/AP copters! The clarity and color and all that good stuff is really really nice from still photos. And you have complete control of pan and zoom .

Derek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTsfjEtAJ5E
Simple and quick results. What editor did you use. And where did you get the soundtrack? Nice work.
red1one is offline Find More Posts by red1one
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:50 AM
United States, NJ, West Deptford
Joined Apr 2012
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
Gary or some of the other guys might have some ideas why your getting that jittering. I would say, try putting Gary's recommended settings and fly it again and see if the gimbal performs any better.

Try a few things with the IR trigger. First make sure the camera's shooting mode is in remote. Then try to shoot in the (Auto) mode with AF turned on and see if it works. Then try shooting in S (Shutter) with AF turned on. If that doesn't work, turn off AF and try it again. Basically see if you can get it to shoot in any mode with AF turned on . There are some guys that say that you should always shoot in manual mode with manual focus and F18-F22 aperture, so you get most things in focus, but I have had good luck shooting in shutter with AF on. I like getting my shots (in focus) with minimal fuss.

Once again, thanks so much for the help!

An update:
Firmware 1.03 fixed a LOT of problems. The jitters, the shakes, the random tilt angles, etc. I found that these settings work best for me, but I still may need to do some tweaking.

Roll: 30.3750 / 150
Tilt: 7.3750 / 250

That fixes the HFG problem, as for the IR trigger problem here is an interesting findů
If the HDMI Cable is connected for FPV to the camera, the problem (where it won't get focus and does not snap the still images) happens. However, if there is NO HDMI cable plugged in then there is no problem, it works fine.

Ideas on that one guys using HDMI for FPV and a remote trigger??? I did see a setting in the camera to allow control over HDMI and I disabled it, but so far no change. Any other ideas out there?

Progress!
-G
Aces Are Wild is offline Find More Posts by Aces Are Wild
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,994 Posts
Just to be clear, v1.03 of the HFG firmware still has the yaw coupling problem, if the board is too close to the camera body (especially directly over...), but it is not a sensitive as with v1.6. Also, some cameras are worse/more susceptible than othes. I only have three here that I've tried, but the worst was the PJ710V, next is the RX100 and the least sensitive is the NEX-5N.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:14 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1one View Post
Simple and quick results. What editor did you use. And where did you get the soundtrack? Nice work.
I use Sony Vegas Pro 11. I went back and forth between Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas. I know Premiere is "industry standard" and I wanted to like it, but I like Vegas so much better.

The sound track is from a really great collection by Video Copilot called Pro Scores. I also have their Designer Sound FX.

Derek
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Just to be clear, v1.03 of the HFG firmware still has the yaw coupling problem, if the board is too close to the camera body (especially directly over...), but it is not a sensitive as with v1.6. Also, some cameras are worse/more susceptible than othes. I only have three here that I've tried, but the worst was the PJ710V, next is the RX100 and the least sensitive is the NEX-5N.

-- Gary
Good to know, thanks Gary.

As for my IR shutter release problem, it seems to be a known problem when using an HDMI cable with the camera. It won't auto-focus. The easiest fix seems to be setting the focus manually to infinity - I hope that works for me and does not give me blurry shots :-/

Here's others having the same problem:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/arch...p/t-3025.html?

Has no one else on this thread seen this issue / come up with a work-around?

--Geoff
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:47 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces Are Wild View Post
Good to know, thanks Gary.

As for my IR shutter release problem, it seems to be a known problem when using an HDMI cable with the camera. It won't auto-focus. The easiest fix seems to be setting the focus manually to infinity - I hope that works for me and does not give me blurry shots :-/

Here's others having the same problem:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/arch...p/t-3025.html?

Has no one else on this thread seen this issue / come up with a work-around?

--Geoff
For the camera IR issue, If you go to the menu and select "camera" then select "Object Tracking" and turn it off, you too will not be able to take a photo. Leave this on and auto focus will work fine.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdww View Post
For the camera IR issue, If you go to the menu and select "camera" then select "Object Tracking" and turn it off, you too will not be able to take a photo. Leave this on and auto focus will work fine.
!!!!! I owe you a beer jbdww. Thank you SO MUCH! That fixed my issues.

Thanks the guy great guys on this forum I went from a jittering, shaking, yaw-coupled mess that couldn't even snap pictures yesterday to a 100% working AP platform today. (There are always tweaks to be made, though).

Thanks so much everyone!
--Geoff
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:12 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
I should ask gary to modify the first page to have latest information. or I need to add a blog on this. kinda have a combined setup information area, with latest recommendations. (like HFG settings) what I will start a thread on my blog about setup.
askman is online now Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:07 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
Very cool. Any tips would be great. I think I have my HFG settings pretty good, but seeing what others have done to compare would be great.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:36 AM
Joined Mar 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausjepsen View Post
Thanks, I will try with ClipWrap.
Ups, had to pay for the software, so I found a work arround. If you want to import AVCHD files to FCPX, then do an import from camera. If you already have the files on your computer, then you also have to do an import from camera and then assign a folder as your camera. Voila.

Claus.
clausjepsen is offline Find More Posts by clausjepsen
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Apr 2012
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausjepsen View Post
Ups, had to pay for the software, so I found a work arround. If you want to import AVCHD files to FCPX, then do an import from camera. If you already have the files on your computer, then you also have to do an import from camera and then assign a folder as your camera. Voila.

Claus.
That wasn't working for me, maybe because it was 1080/60? Either way, a free alternative (for Mac) I found is called "Media Converter". Takes 2 seconds per file because all it does it re-wrap the file into a MOV (you need to download the "Re-wrap AVCHD for Quicktime" plugin for free as well.

Just point it at the PRIVATE folder off the Camera and go...

http://media-converter.sourceforge.net
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Jan 2009
733 Posts
Deleted
wowhobbies is offline Find More Posts by wowhobbies
Last edited by wowhobbies; Nov 16, 2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, TX, El Paso
Joined Apr 2012
527 Posts
I was getting a lot of chatter out of my Gimble Servos. Using a hybrid of the AG550. Chatter was noticeable when I plugged in the battery, but when I plugged in the FPV Battery they really got noisy, so much so it resulted in very unstable video.

Had a friend suggest Copper Tape like they use in electric guitars to cut down the radio freqs or is it called EFI. AMAZING. No more chatter. Video a lot better.

This is how i did it.

I wrapped both servos in Copper Tape. This helped a little.
I wrapped the FPV Transmitter in Copper Tape. This helped A LOT
I wrapped the power line from the FPV battery to the transmitter, this solved the issue.

Next Im wrapping the entire Mutli in Copper Tape.
Jeffem62 is offline Find More Posts by Jeffem62
Closed Thread