SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:14 PM
Flying Kiwi
Wellington, NZ
Joined Apr 2005
798 Posts
footage

I am VERY interested to see some raw Nex footage from this set up, I am sure I am not alone ! Please when you post it make sure it is raw unstabilized media shot in calmish conditions ; }
booma is offline Find More Posts by booma
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
37 Posts
Nice mount, do you build them yourself ggoodrum?
Any idea about the target lift capacity of the f550 ( with the dji motors)?
Are you a dealer for dji? I am waiting about some more news from the dji hex s800 wings which i found a week ago, seems awsome.

looking forwarde to see some movies about it
pierrexaircraft is offline Find More Posts by pierrexaircraft
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:29 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
that is the gopro version not the nex correct?
No, this is the NEX-compatible version. The yoke is smaller on the GoPro version. The roll axis and the mounting plate/battery tray are identical, as is the servo/belt drive for the tilt axis. On the F450, the roll axis assembly mounts to the front of the plate/tray, in an "inline" configuration, and for the F550/hex mount, this assembly hangs underneath the mounting plate/battery tray, which then attaches to the landing gear through the vibration isolators.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:39 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by booma View Post
I am VERY interested to see some raw Nex footage from this set up, I am sure I am not alone ! Please when you post it make sure it is raw unstabilized media shot in calmish conditions ; }
I will be doing that this week. In the meantime, below is some video from yesterday's flight with the F450/GoPro setup. Not technically raw, as I superimposed the ground video, but there was no stabilization added.

F450 GoPro Gimbal Test-08.mp4 (4 min 41 sec)

I'm still playing with optimizing the setup, finally settling in on using GWS 9x5x3 props as giving the smoothest performance. I have the gimbal gains dialed in pretty close, but there's still a slight lag, more noticeable in the roll axis, which is due to the relative slowness of the servos (.12s on 5V...). They have a faster version (.07s on 5s...) that we will use in the production version, but I wanted to test the worst case, to see how fast is "fast enough". It appears, that number is somewhere around .10s, which these servos can manage, when run on 7.4V. That will be my next test.

-- Gary
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Oct 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
No, this is the NEX-compatible version. The yoke is smaller on the GoPro version. The roll axis and the mounting plate/battery tray are identical, as is the servo/belt drive for the tilt axis. On the F450, the roll axis assembly mounts to the front of the plate/tray, in an "inline" configuration, and for the F550/hex mount, this assembly hangs underneath the mounting plate/battery tray, which then attaches to the landing gear through the vibration isolators.

-- Gary
Nice mount, do you build them yourself ggoodrum?
Any idea about the target lift capacity of the f550 ( with the dji motors)?
Are you a dealer for dji? I am waiting about some more news from the dji hex s800 wings which i found a week ago, seems awsome.

looking forwarde to see some movies about it
pierrexaircraft is offline Find More Posts by pierrexaircraft
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:30 PM
Flying Kiwi
Wellington, NZ
Joined Apr 2005
798 Posts
[QUOTE=GGoodrum;20595698]I will be doing that this week. In the meantime, below is some video from yesterday's flight with the F450/GoPro setup. Not technically raw, as I superimposed the ground video, but there was no stabilization added.

Thanks, looks promising once you get your roll dialed in.

One of the reasons I would like to see some Nex footage is I find the fish eye lens on the gopro exaggerates the gimbal movements so much, particularly in tilt where the horizon line balloons like crazy !

A nice rectilinear lens will give us some clue as to if this will potentially be a solid low cost solution for 'risky' assignments ; }

Cheers
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:51 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
actually, I am the designer and producer of the gimbal/mount. I will be selling it though couple retailer though instead of direct, as I've decided that I need bandwidth for product development. I have gotten inputs from many people for this version of the gimbal. There is a nex5 footage on my blog here in RCG. it is very first video and Seismic is using HFP instead of DJI. you can tell it is smooth. very early video. seismic is working to tune his setup, but he his nex5 is acting up, so he may be using another camera (hv9x perhaps)

anyway, we are very encouraged with current results, and I am making minor improvement to the design to try to make it even better as I finalize the release revision. My production will begin late this week for gopro gimbal and depending on test result, the nex5 soon after. anyway, that is the plan. still lot of testing ahead of us.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Feb 01, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:39 AM
Flying Kiwi
Wellington, NZ
Joined Apr 2005
798 Posts
Great ..good luck. I still have one of your self leveling mounts for my slow stick from the early days !
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:40 AM
Belgium, Brussels
Joined Jul 2010
219 Posts
gosh, I love it... and I hate DJI... I esitated long time to buy a bigger quad.. I have a micro and a small and wanted something bigger and resistant... I bought the f450.... just a month ago... but dreamed of an hexa... and now they made one...

only remark, it does not have a nice spot for the HDpro like on the f450... but I find it super cool....
Halford is offline Find More Posts by Halford
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:48 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
The F550 is a great platform for small camera. This is very nice combo.
F550 due in stock on the 13-15th I'm told.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:01 AM
The "NEW" Approach ! :)
Ridgecrest, California
Joined Oct 2002
58 Posts
I've been using the SAVOX servos in my X468 mount on both the NAZA and Wookong with excellent results. The DJI HEX looks to be a Great AP setup! Looking forward to a few reviews.

Dr.Tim
Dr.Tim is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Tim
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:23 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,135 Posts
I finally got the time yesterday to do the 1st flight on this setup. For this build, I used the newer GPS module that Sidney sent me, via Robert. I had tested this one with my previous WK-M setup, on a XA hex setup, but it was still doing the dreaded gimbal drift issue. I am still baffled as to why this is not happening now, but the combination of this module, the v5.02 firmware and this mount is working just fine, so I'm not complaining.

I'm still pretty amazed at how easy it is to do a WK-M setup, and get it right the first time. All I did was make sure the motors were turning the right way, and that I had the right props installed in the right position, and it popped right up and held position like it was tied down. I set the basic gains at 150 to start, with basic pitch and roll set to a knob. I put the attitude gains at 85%. I spent the first part of the flight trying different settings, but frankly, I couldn't tell the difference. It growled a bit more on descent, when it was down to 75%, but no wobbles. I couldn't really get it into oscillation at the max (300%) either. This was without much in the way of winds, though, so I'll have to try this again in our normal breezy conditions.

F550 GoPro Gimbal Test-02.mp4 (4 min 26 sec)

This is without a doubt the easiest and most stable platform I've flown. Very smooth. I'm using GWS 9x5x3 props and two 4s-3300 packs in parallel. The AUW is a hefty 6lb 8.9oz/2974g. It has gobs of power, though, so it could probably handle as much as 7-1/2 to 8 pounds. Like my quad with these props on 4s, the motors were barely above ambient.

Anyway, next I need to try this in a more open area, with higher winds, and really give the gimbal a workout.

-- Gary
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:43 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
Great platform Gary! Very smooth!
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:56 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post

Anyway, next I need to try this in a more open area, with higher winds, and really give the gimbal a workout.

-- Gary
Hi Gary. I do appreciate your time spent on testing this gimble. I know doing video is not a five minute job.

But please, on your next test could you do a little bit of movement. Bank the Quad/Hexa, left, right, forwards and back. In the above vid you could of just stuck the Gopro on the frame with double sided and got the same results.
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:13 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
Hi Gary. I do appreciate your time spent on testing this gimble. I know doing video is not a five minute job.

But please, on your next test could you do a little bit of movement. Bank the Quad/Hexa, left, right, forwards and back. In the above vid you could of just stuck the Gopro on the frame with double sided and got the same results.
Actually, I couldn't agree more. Frankly, since this was the first flight, I assumed I was going to have my hands full, trying to get the gains sorted, so I wasn't really thinking about the gimbal. It really threw me that I saw very little difference whether the gains were at the minimum, or at the max. Adding to the confusion was that there was a bit of vibration that I could see in the pool noodles on the skids. I assumed that it was oscillation, due to the gains being too high. It wasn't, just some resonant issue that is not related to gains. The good news is that the gimbal's isolation system kept these from getting into the video.

Anyway, my next goal is to wring out the gimbal.

-- Gary
Closed Thread