HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:06 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2009
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgunu View Post
Here is a compilation of some shots from my first few flights. There's some post work done on the videos. I'm a professional videographer and looking to get some decent artistic images via this system. So far, I am quite happy with the results

https://vimeo.com/48838619
The contrast ratio on the camera is amazing. Is that the NEX5?
SCVJeff is offline Find More Posts by SCVJeff
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:30 AM
Video Juggernaut
Wingbreaker's Avatar
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
Oz, that was good stuff. On the skyline shots of the buildings, were you deliberately over sharpening and saturating to achieve that effect, or is that just how the camera delivers it? I'm not trying to be negative, I like the effect. It is almost like HDR (high dynamic range) in taking pictures. -- JOHN
from what i see it is the exposure. he is filming a rather dark area with the buildings catching light in the background. you can do two things here compose for the shadow and the skies, buildings blow out a little, which looks like he did, or you can compose for the buildings and foreground will be too dark. There is a third option, use a matte in post to try to bring down the highlights in the back but if you go over 100 IRE you cannot fix it.

Now if it is a post issue, and the footage is not over modulated, he adjusted the contrast or used too extreme of an S-curve blowing the highlights. I'm just speculating because I like to.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:50 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2009
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
from what i see it is the exposure. he is filming a rather dark area with the buildings catching light in the background. you can do two things here compose for the shadow and the skies, buildings blow out a little, which looks like he did, or you can compose for the buildings and foreground will be too dark. There is a third option, use a matte in post to try to bring down the highlights in the back but if you go over 100 IRE you cannot fix it.

Now if it is a post issue, and the footage is not over modulated, he adjusted the contrast or used too extreme of an S-curve blowing the highlights. I'm just speculating because I like to.
Exactly, this is an edited piece which has some post production. The camera is a hero 2. So, auto exposure. Two factors here. First, it is early in the morning so the sun light is coming from the horizon. This way, when the high buildings are lit with sunlight, the rest of the landscape isn't. Hero 2 tried to adjust for the unlit part, causing the lit areas blow. Second, i increased the contrast in post, but not much, very tiny adjustments.
ozgunu is offline Find More Posts by ozgunu
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:07 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgunu View Post
Exactly, this is an edited piece which has some post production. The camera is a hero 2. So, auto exposure. Two factors here. First, it is early in the morning so the sun light is coming from the horizon. This way, when the high buildings are lit with sunlight, the rest of the landscape isn't. Hero 2 tried to adjust for the unlit part, causing the lit areas blow. Second, i increased the contrast in post, but not much, very tiny adjustments.
Did you just say hero2?

What lens is that? Or you remove the fisheye post production?

You just gave my little camera hope and possibly a longer life...
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:45 AM
Video Juggernaut
Wingbreaker's Avatar
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgunu View Post
Exactly, this is an edited piece which has some post production. The camera is a hero 2. So, auto exposure. Two factors here. First, it is early in the morning so the sun light is coming from the horizon. This way, when the high buildings are lit with sunlight, the rest of the landscape isn't. Hero 2 tried to adjust for the unlit part, causing the lit areas blow. Second, i increased the contrast in post, but not much, very tiny adjustments.
wow, i need to upgrade to the hero 2 soon. that looks just almost as good as an nex. did you get rid of barrel distortion or does the new gopro have less of it?
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:19 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
blade strike's Avatar
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
wow, i need to upgrade to the hero 2 soon. that looks just almost as good as an nex. did you get rid of barrel distortion or does the new gopro have less of it?
I would say he is using a ragecam 4mm.. With that lense you can get some cool video
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:22 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Everything I have seen from the ragecam has been super soft... this is awesome. Maybe I need to give the ragecam another look.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:28 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
blade strike's Avatar
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Everything I have seen from the ragecam has been super soft... this is awesome. Maybe I need to give the ragecam another look.
I think that's because of the youtube uploads..I just hate that vimeo charges $10 a month
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:30 AM
Video Juggernaut
Wingbreaker's Avatar
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
I think that's because of the youtube uploads..I just hate that vimeo charges $10 a month
cool, ill have to get me this attachment and the new gopro. might make me use it more...

Yeah youtube sucks, everything looks softer even when you up it to the 1080 or whatever. You do get a free hd upload every week though on vimeo.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:33 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
blade strike's Avatar
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
You do get a free hd upload every week though on vimeo.
That is cool... did not know that Once I start shooting more than my front yard I dont mind paying.. Just still in the tunning faze!
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:35 AM
Video Juggernaut
Wingbreaker's Avatar
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
That is cool... did not know that Once I start shooting more than my front yard I dont mind paying.. Just still in the tunning faze!
yeah i use youtube for my BS uploads and funny stuff
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:16 AM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,083 Posts
One of the changes in the Hero 2 is a new glass lens, but it still has the barrel/fisheye effect. In any case, the colors seem to pop more, with the H2, and it definitely has much better low light level performance.

I tried the Sunex and RageCam lenses, on the regular Hero, and I too think the RageCam is way too soft.
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:16 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2009
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Did you just say hero2?

What lens is that? Or you remove the fisheye post production?

You just gave my little camera hope and possibly a longer life...
Yeah, just a hero 2. Don't get rid of your camera! I got rid of the fish eye effect in the post production phase. It's possible, most editing suites come with its own way of dealing with this. It leaves the edges of the video kind of blurry but again, it's possible to get rid of this by enIarging the whole picture just a bit.

I prefer using the gopro's "medium" fov by the way. Wide setting is really wide! I'm sure it would give more artifacts when corrected in post.

I had only 5 or 6 flights with my hexa so far. And I'm loving it and get excited thinking of the endless possibilities! But, I should still play with the gains because my raw footage is not like the ones of Adidas or others. I have very tiny uneasy movements going on in the picture, especially noticable on the edges of the picture, not rock steady. You can see what I mean in the following raw video.

It might be gimbal gains, I suspect. Maybe it's trying to correct everything (even the unnecessary things, causing more jitter). This is a guess for now, I will decrease the gimbal gains to 30 from 60. And try it that way. Because, when I turn the gimbal off, I get more steady images! Any inputs on this??

My basic gains are 190-190-140-150, attitude gains are at 40..

https://vimeo.com/48886236
ozgunu is offline Find More Posts by ozgunu
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:22 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgunu View Post
Yeah, just a hero 2. Don't get rid of your camera! I got rid of the fish eye effect in the post production phase. It's possible, most editing suites come with its own way of dealing with this. It leaves the edges of the video kind of blurry but again, it's possible to get rid of this by enIarging the whole picture just a bit.

I prefer using the gopro's "medium" fov by the way. Wide setting is really wide! I'm sure it would give more artifacts when corrected in post.
That is really impressive. Mind if I ask what software you are using? I played with the wide/medium settings quite a bit. From what I understand the GoPro just "edits" the video as it's being recorded. I figured if need be I could just do that myself in post production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgunu View Post
I had only 5 or 6 flights with my hexa so far. And I'm loving it and get excited thinking of the endless possibilities! But, I should still play with the gains because my raw footage is not like the ones of Adidas or others. I have very tiny uneasy movements going on in the picture, especially noticable on the edges of the picture, not rock steady. You can see what I mean in the following raw video.

It might be gimbal gains, I suspect. Maybe it's trying to correct everything (even the unnecessary things, causing more jitter). This is a guess for now, I will decrease the gimbal gains to 30 from 60. And try it that way. Because, when I turn the gimbal off, I get more steady images! Any inputs on this??

My basic gains are 190-190-140-150, attitude gains are at 40..
What are you using to control the gimbal. Addias and some others are using HoverFly's gimbal controller. The Naza/WKM can't seem to keep up most of the time.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:51 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
blade strike's Avatar
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgunu View Post
Yeah, just a hero 2. Don't get rid of your camera! I got rid of the fish eye effect in the post production phase. It's possible, most editing suites come with its own way of dealing with this. It leaves the edges of the video kind of blurry but again, it's possible to get rid of this by enIarging the whole picture just a bit.

I prefer using the gopro's "medium" fov by the way. Wide setting is really wide! I'm sure it would give more artifacts when corrected in post.

I had only 5 or 6 flights with my hexa so far. And I'm loving it and get excited thinking of the endless possibilities! But, I should still play with the gains because my raw footage is not like the ones of Adidas or others. I have very tiny uneasy movements going on in the picture, especially noticable on the edges of the picture, not rock steady. You can see what I mean in the following raw video.

It might be gimbal gains, I suspect. Maybe it's trying to correct everything (even the unnecessary things, causing more jitter). This is a guess for now, I will decrease the gimbal gains to 30 from 60. And try it that way. Because, when I turn the gimbal off, I get more steady images! Any inputs on this??

My basic gains are 190-190-140-150, attitude gains are at 40..

https://vimeo.com/48886236
Wow stock lens.. crazy.. yes please tell what software
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Sony Nex 5n aerial samples. jeffscholl Aerial Photography 1449 Yesterday 09:42 AM
Discussion DJI WK-M - Droidworx Hex Build Huddo Multirotor Talk 41 Dec 31, 2011 07:58 AM
Discussion Sony NEX 5N raw video footage SeismicCWave Multirotor Talk 5 Nov 17, 2011 12:10 AM
Discussion Which is best: "Sony Nex 5" or "Panasonic GH2"? babanan Aerial Photography 6 Sep 08, 2011 04:27 PM
Discussion What gyros to use on a 2 Axis camera gimbal? Voguna Aerial Photography 0 Mar 13, 2011 11:51 AM