HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:01 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I believe gary mentioned to me that he needed to add a foam underneath the lens as single screw was not enough to keep the camera from moving during flight. the big lens has lot of mass, so you do need some extra help to keep it from moving. we are quite happy with initial test result though with the kit lens, which was possible due to going to full sized servo. this is just our initial foray int DSLR weight and good stepping stone.

DSLR gimbal is about ready to be tested. it should easily handle 3lb plus load on the dslr version. I will have first unit ready to send to a tester early next week. (just the gimbal /roll unit) I am still finalizing the LG design for it, which has been a real challenge. and yes, it will mount on f550 as well, but we are getting close to max loading of f550.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:16 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Hudson View Post
Besides the extra weight of the GoPro, you were using the 18-55 kit lens too. Once you swap out for the 16mm that will definitely cut some weight as well.

I was noticing just a small amount of shake occasionally. Do you think that having the camera and lens that far forward is putting it directly into the prop wash? It could be that the lens hood is "grabbing" a little prop wash from time to time.

Nice results so far, Gary. I don't doubt that I could easily smooth out the remaining shake with Warp Stabilizer in AE.
No, I think it is a small amount of "bounce" that is being caused by the mass of the big kit lens. The attachment point in back introduces a bit of a cantilever effect, which causes the lens to move a bit. I put a small piece of foam tape on the front of the camera plate, under the lens, but I don't think it is enough. Since this flight, I added a second piece. That seems to have done the trick, at least in my "ground" tests.

For my own use, I definitely would want to use the 16mm lens, along with the WA adapter that you will be testing. This kit lens is a beast, but I wanted to test the worst case.

The good news is that without the lens bounce issue, the gimbal and the vibration isolation worked well. Zenmuse, schmenmuse...

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:33 AM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Nice!

One thing that I don't like so far about the NEX5N is that the mount area is so small with very little flat surface around it for support, unlike many other cameras. However, I think your foam support idea sounds like a good solution. It may or may not be needed with the 16mm with W/A and I would think that with the 16mm alone it should be rock solid.

I am getting very excited to test. I was experimenting with the NEX5N yesterday and will be getting my W/A today to test. I already like the wide FOV of the 16mm lens but with the W/A it is supposed to be equivalent to 12mm. So far I am pretty impressed with the camera. I am accustomed to my D300 so I was not expecting too much from this camera but it is much nicer than I had anticipated. Video quality in certain situations is better then my TM700 in 60P mode and far better than my CX110.

THEN I need to get the stuff up into the air
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:43 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Hudson View Post
Nice!

One thing that I don't like so far about the NEX5N is that the mount area is so small with very little flat surface around it for support, unlike many other cameras. However, I think your foam support idea sounds like a good solution. It may or may not be needed with the 16mm with W/A and I would think that with the 16mm alone it should be rock solid.

I am getting very excited to test. I was experimenting with the NEX5N yesterday and will be getting my W/A today to test. I already like the wide FOV of the 16mm lens but with the W/A it is supposed to be equivalent to 12mm. So far I am pretty impressed with the camera. I am accustomed to my D300 so I was not expecting too much from this camera but it is much nicer than I had anticipated. Video quality in certain situations is better then my TM700 in 60P mode and far better than my CX110.

THEN I need to get the stuff up into the air
I have had the 5N w/both lenses since release and although I am pro photog its a sweet camera. I had the NEX-5 from its 1st release before this one and liked it so much it was a no brainer for me when this was released.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:49 PM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Aug 2007
703 Posts
I've been pretty pleasantly surprised by this little camera too. I've had some focus issues though. If on AF, it hunts constantly. On MF, works good. I can't seem to find mf with autofocus though. Time to RTFM
MauiNate is offline Find More Posts by MauiNate
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
501 Posts
Nex5n new firmware fixes some focusing issues.
redridinghood is offline Find More Posts by redridinghood
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:06 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
I am not quite sure if this should be posted here specifically, but since Gary mentioned I was testing, here goes

I did a quick photo test to compare these lenses on the NEX-5N (1) 18-55mm kit lens, (2) 16mm pancake lens, and (3) 16mm pancake with VCL-EC1U W/A attachment.

I just wanted to show composition differences between all combinations to see progressive increase in FOV.

I set up the camera on a tripod, shot in auto mode and just switched between lenses to give a accurate change in FOV based on lens combo. Warning: The subject matter is downright BORING so please don't critique that

Here they are in order:

Upon close inspection I did notice softness in the far corners of the image with the 16mm lens. However it is pretty minimal and it is pretty far out. To be fair, there is a tad bit of softness in the extremities on the 18-55 lens as well so in my opinion, no big deal. I have read that the lens becomes sharper when stopped down a bit more so one can experiment with that.

Basically, for me, I want to have the opportunity to get more into a shot without having to be quite as far away. That is what a W/A lens is for and in my opinion it delivers.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:10 PM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Aug 2007
703 Posts
Looks good. Were there any correction settings in the camera applied? ie auto lighting optimizer, distortion correction?
MauiNate is offline Find More Posts by MauiNate
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:31 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiNate View Post
Looks good. Were there any correction settings in the camera applied? ie auto lighting optimizer, distortion correction?
Nope.

These were right out of the camera as-is. The only adjustment I believe I had set was that it was in "Vivid" mode.

Edit: I just double checked settings and Lens Comp Shading was set to "Auto", Lens Comp Chro. Aber. was set to "Auto", and Lens Comp Distortion was set to "Off"
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:15 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,099 Posts
Very cool, Rod, thanks for posting those pics. I'm definitely putting the WA and the 16mm lens on my shopping list.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:38 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
I had never even seen the FOV with the W/A I thought it was a fish eye ;/
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:41 PM
France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Montaren-et-Saint-Médiers
Joined Apr 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nene View Post
Hello Gary
I would like buy
when will you put them on sale
thanks
sorry for ma bad english

sorry to disturb !!!
9nene is offline Find More Posts by 9nene
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:00 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
sorry if we missed this post. 9nene. the website should go live very soon. We had some servo issues and we had to put a hold on sales. now that is being cleared up and we are back on track to start selling them. you can contact gary via pm or email as well.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:38 PM
France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Montaren-et-Saint-Médiers
Joined Apr 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
sorry if we missed this post. 9nene. the website should go live very soon. We had some servo issues and we had to put a hold on sales. now that is being cleared up and we are back on track to start selling them. you can contact gary via pm or email as well.
thanks askman and you made ​​a very good job
continued as its
and sorry for my bad english
9nene is offline Find More Posts by 9nene
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:32 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,518 Posts
Here is a quick flight I did last week with the GoPro gimbal. Boring scenery but it shows how well the gimbal works. Video is unedited.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP08La9ObXs
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Closed Thread