SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:20 PM
Australia, New South Wales, St Leonards
Joined Aug 2009
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Andrey is right. These will be available, starting later today, at my tppacks.com site. I finally got the basic store up and running and now I have to go in and replace all the place holders with descriptions of the various gimbal options. Initially, there will be the following options:

TP450-GP-2 2-axis GoPro gimbal with F450 quad front mount. $375

TP550-GP-2 2-axis GoPro gimbal with F550 hex landing gear mount. $475

TP550-NX-2 2-axis NEX/GH2 Gimbal with F550 hex LG mount $500

TP550-NX/GP 2-axis F550 gimbal with both NEX and GP yokes $700

Coming soon will be some adapter kits for mounting the LG/mount/gimbals on a variety of other platforms, including the mk hex and octa setups, as well as DroidWorx and Cinestar platforms. There will also be some other variants, such as tilt-only options for both platforms, and a simple GoPro mount for the F330 and F450 that provides vibration isolation-only (see attached pics of prototype...). This mount attaches to one of the F330 or F450 "tabs" in a clever dual compression mounting scheme.

More later...

-- Gary
Hi, there are $200 for extra Gopro plate if I want the NEX5 version, cant i just use my gopro tripod adapter to mount on the nex5 version
Extra hole on the bottom of the plate. I am using gopro now, but want to upgrade to Nex5 later, i had high hope for this gimbal, but you are getting close to match the price of any high end gimbal in the market now. I know you guys have done a lot work to get this far and from the video the performance is matching the well established gimbal brand but there must be thousands of people want to try AP LIKE ME vs few professional AP in this forum unless you are one of those recently retired baby-boomers.
piccoloflyer is offline Find More Posts by piccoloflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:59 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccoloflyer View Post
Hi, there are $200 for extra Gopro plate if I want the NEX5 version, cant i just use my gopro tripod adapter to mount on the nex5 version
Extra hole on the bottom of the plate. I am using gopro now, but want to upgrade to Nex5 later, i had high hope for this gimbal, but you are getting close to match the price of any high end gimbal in the market now. I know you guys have done a lot work to get this far and from the video the performance is matching the well established gimbal brand but there must be thousands of people want to try AP LIKE ME vs few professional AP in this forum unless you are one of those recently retired baby-boomers.
I'll let Gary chime in. But I think the issue is if you use the same mount for both camera, the lens will not be on the tilt axis.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:23 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
it is not the tilt axis, rather the roll axis will be off if you use the tripod adapter and the case. if you take it off the case and tie it in stead, you will be more likely to be on axis. The design makes it easy to change yokes. and there are people who will buy both just because of that. but if you want to use nex5 for goprop, it is possible if you don't mind that it won't be as perfect.

sigh, I used to be known for my gimbals lol. well, time to re-establish it again LOL.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:37 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,543 Posts
You are still very well known. I still have your original Lite Stick gimbal system and it has worked flawlessly.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Aug 2009
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
it is not the tilt axis, rather the roll axis will be off if you use the tripod adapter and the case. if you take it off the case and tie it in stead, you will be more likely to be on axis. The design makes it easy to change yokes. and there are people who will buy both just because of that. but if you want to use nex5 for goprop, it is possible if you don't mind that it won't be as perfect.

sigh, I used to be known for my gimbals lol. well, time to re-establish it again LOL.
Thanks for the info, I am sure people with nex5 will also have gopro for testing airframe and survey shoot before risking the nex5 going for the kill, so it won't matter if it's perfect or not, it might take lot more work to change camera using the same yoke, but $200 just for a yoke, almost 1/3 price of the whole gimbal and LG.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Aug 2009
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post

What about extra hole on the bottom mounting plate to offset the gopro lens, i know nex5 and gopro lens are in the opposite direction
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:22 AM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280 View Post
Gimbal's first flight at an airplane show last weekend.
Nice pictures. Look forward to seeing the video.
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:33 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
there is enough room on the nex 5 so that you can mount the gopro to line up with the roll/tilt axis if you take it out of the case. the issue is when you are using the case, the lens becomes too high, so tilt axis is not in line with the camera lens center. (hehe, got the tilt/roll backward lo) the gopro gimbal is designed to mount in case. if you add screw mount to the case, it add even more height. the new DSLR gimbal will have enough height . on that version, I will even have optional plate to move the camera up by 1".
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Mar 08, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:34 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
Nice pictures. Look forward to seeing the video.
Video was not so spectacular as I was having issues with my roll axis. Now that's fixed, I'll post some better video once I get to fly it again. That is if the solar flare storm doesn't cause my MK to fly home to Germany.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:47 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccoloflyer View Post
Thanks for the info, I am sure people with nex5 will also have gopro for testing airframe and survey shoot before risking the nex5 going for the kill, so it won't matter if it's perfect or not, it might take lot more work to change camera using the same yoke, but $200 just for a yoke, almost 1/3 price of the whole gimbal and LG.
Well, the Yoke assembly is at least 1/3rd of the complexity of the whole gimbal/mount, and it includes the expensive high-end digital servo.

The NEX/GH2 yoke camera plate has a slot, actually two slots now, so it is not a problem to mount a GoPro on it using the tripod adapter, and get the lens to line up with the roll axis. The problem is in the tilt axis. Ideally you would want the camera's sensor center in both axis, but with the tripod adapter, the GoPro will sit higher, above the center of the tilt axis. In the end, however, it just means you need to adjust the gains a bit differently.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Jun 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
More confusing results...

I had a hunch that something wasn't quite right with the WK-M's outputs being so rough, when compared to the XA FC/AHRS combo. In the tests I did a few months ago, there were clear differences, but not as big a difference as I'm seeing now. What I did today was switch to the F450/GoPro setup, which uses a Naza. As I suspected, it was much smoother than the WK-M's outputs. The XA setup is definitely a tad bit smoother, but not a lot. This is clearly the difference I was seeing before, due to the difference in speed. Here's a quick ground test vieo:

http://youtu.be/84Gd2dLisIA

I have a theory about why the WK-M's outputs are so much rougher, and it has to do with the "fix" that was part of the v5.02 update. I noticed today, when I was checking things that the gimbal drift/wander problem was back, although not continuously, just once in awhile. I think what they did to "fix" the problem was more of a band-aid, where they simply put in an artificial "deadband" on the outputs. This raises a threshold of when the drift movements are strong enough to come through, but by doing that, they've basically reduced the effective resolution of the outputs. To check this, I reconnected the XA setup, but programmed in a deadband timing of 4ms, and it has the same sort of "roughness".

This tells me a couple things. First of all, DJI has only made a weak attempt at fixing the drift problem, and in doing so has introduced yet another issue. I actually seriously doubt that they will do anything about this, as they are now consumed with trying to get people to fork over a ridiculous amount of cash for a "hobby gimbal".

What I am hopeful of, however, is that maybe they can be convinced to up the output rate on the Naza's gimbal outputs, because that would make using a Naza as a standalone gimbal controller a very viable option.

-- Gary
Hi Gary,
What firmware revision on you using on your XAircraft controller. I have the old model too just laying around. It sounds like a good plan to use it with the 2ms capability.
Has Sidney given any indication they might be willing to increase the output speed on the Naza's gimbal control?
Tim
TimIndy is offline Find More Posts by TimIndy
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:53 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimIndy View Post
Hi Gary,
What firmware revision on you using on your XAircraft controller. I have the old model too just laying around. It sounds like a good plan to use it with the 2ms capability.
Has Sidney given any indication they might be willing to increase the output speed on the Naza's gimbal control?
Tim
Hi Tim --

I'm using v1.31 on the XA FC. It works quite well. You hav e to use it with the Configuration app, not the newer Xaircraft Center.

I haven't heard from DJI about anything yet.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:41 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
well, I made a new isolation mounting plate to use silicone grommet instead of the EAR SC sandwich isolators. we will be testing this to see if we see any improvement in vibration isolatrion. spendy grommet though. we will offer this as an option if it proves out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:28 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
did you use those grommets on both sides of the compression plate and put nylon standoffs between?

I have a handful of those grommets from Rusty and they are really soft!
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:35 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
http://www.vibrationmounts.com/Store...=Products7.htm

it is this one
V10Z61MA1

I made a new mounting plate. I can loosen it up a bit if I want more damping. I have it on pretty tight. if you want to try it, I can send you the set. instead of using original isolator, you just use spacers to the plate.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread