HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
BTW, both my F450 quad and this F550 hex ran hot with the stock 10" props. I don't know why, but with both the 3-bladed GWS 9x5x3s, and with the 10x5 Graupners, the motors run cool as a cucumber.

-- Gary
I have some 10" Graupners but will just stay with 3s for 10" props.
TBH I didnt think there were any 54g motors that were rated for 10" props on 4s. I would guess that would be more the 75g range.
The 95g Avrotos are only rated for 12" props max on 4s.
As you know most only use 11" Graupners though.
Now if the wind would die down to test the new lower gains
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:47 PM
formerly Juddkleinman
Paonia, CO
Joined Oct 2008
340 Posts
I apologize if this has been asked here already but I am getting ready to build my 550 and want to know if I need to do any programing on the ESC or if they are plug and play with the NAZA?
Mountain Soarer is online now Find More Posts by Mountain Soarer
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:44 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddkleinman View Post
I apologize if this has been asked here already but I am getting ready to build my 550 and want to know if I need to do any programing on the ESC or if they are plug and play with the NAZA?
If you are using the DJI OPTO esc's, they are plug and play.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:37 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
pmed you, i think 8 would be right.... for the nex-5n, gimbal and 4s5000mah

I have a 4s2200 pack that I am going to fly tomorrow and see if that gets rid of the bouncing that I got tonight. I have almost completely eliminated the servo twitch that has plagued my videos so far... now the camera just bounces up and down, especially when I am hovering and when I am in the ground effect.

I ordered a bunch of vibration isolating grommets from rusty (AGLHobbies) to use on my Flight Controller mounting deck and some of that vibration gel stuff.... i also have a bunch of moogel, i use that underneath the battery compartment of the nex-5n. I am also using a rubber washer in between the camera plate and the camera with the tripod screw going threw it.

it is coming along..... I think most of my issue was with 1 damn prop that was really far off on tracking and it was giving a lot of vibrations.....

when my video is live (says 56mins now) you will see major progress! not perfect but closer
Just out of curiosity, does the NEX-5N have an image stabilization function. and if so, is it on? If it is, try turning it off. These functions usually do more harm than good.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:48 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
it does with the 18-55 but the 16mm pancake lens does not. I have only flown with the 16mm which has 0 OIS

I am getting close.... i see some big vibrations on my Y-6 durring hover on a fresh pack... after I fly around a little but they go away... those isolators are getting a workout... 6 of them with a 4s5000mah isnt enoguh so I will be adding 2 more very soon and I think that will help. I have a video from tonight that shows this and how close I am

it will get there.

thanks for the help and recommendations
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:30 PM
Queens, NY and sometimes Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
subscribing

Currently in the market for one of these things and leaning towards this one
98 SNAKE EATER is offline Find More Posts by 98 SNAKE EATER
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:42 AM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
newest attempt to kill my vibrations.... i got some new vibration eliminating supplies today so I will work on it tomorrow..... might be using my droidworx gear rails

Chasing Bikes and Cars Sony Nex-5n (1 min 6 sec)
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:22 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,407 Posts
Received a set from Gary today along with the Mikrokopter mounting plates from Askman. It is a perfect fit! I snuck out of work and installed it onto my Oktokopter (AKA OktoMomShip), this gimbal system is sweet! It's almost too nice for the little GoPro, need to get one for the DSLR!

Looking at this I think I can omit the Mikrokopter stock battery cage, and use the battery mounting plate of the gimbal system. The cool thing is, bolt pattern would be identical with or without the battery cage.

I will finish the servo install this evening and hopefully do a test flight tomorrow or Friday, if that darn Santa Ana wind doesn't pick up again.

Great job Askman and Gary!
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:08 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
yes, I am working on a DSLR gimbal. I am hoping that it will work with the present LG system. I will size it to fit it anyway. will need testing to see how much load it can handle though.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:38 AM
Russia, Moscow
Joined Jan 2011
91 Posts
how many bearings are in this gimbal and which axes?
volver is offline Find More Posts by volver
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:38 AM
formerly Juddkleinman
Paonia, CO
Joined Oct 2008
340 Posts
I bought some of the 3 blade GWS props and on the first one I took out of the package one of the blades is bent up. I know Gary has mentioned this being an issue with these props. Does anyone have a technique for fixing this?
Mountain Soarer is online now Find More Posts by Mountain Soarer
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:53 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddkleinman View Post
I bought some of the 3 blade GWS props and on the first one I took out of the package one of the blades is bent up. I know Gary has mentioned this being an issue with these props. Does anyone have a technique for fixing this?
Gary said a heat gun and gentle pressure.... or just assume you lost the $2
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:58 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
because the props are molded, you really need pretty high heat to get the blade back in shape and to keep it there. low heat may bring it back for short time, but will spring back. no easy solution to fix tracking on plastic props. every gws 3 blade prop I have has one blade going up too. so I am pretty sure it is manufacturing issue. probably how i it is released from the mold.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:22 AM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
multiwiicopter.com from AU sells 3 blades and those guys swear by them...

right now I keep swearing at my APC props

I either suck at balancing (which is entirely possible) or my topflite balancer and APC props are just a bad combo.

it seems that every time I put a prop on the balancer it reads something different.

I am getting closer and closer, but I think my main issue is prop balance.

I am going to buy some different props and see if that fixed my vibrations..... then I will have like 40 APC props to sell
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:53 AM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
multiwiicopter.com from AU sells 3 blades and those guys swear by them...

right now I keep swearing at my APC props

I either suck at balancing (which is entirely possible) or my topflite balancer and APC props are just a bad combo.

it seems that every time I put a prop on the balancer it reads something different.

I am getting closer and closer, but I think my main issue is prop balance.

I am going to buy some different props and see if that fixed my vibrations..... then I will have like 40 APC props to sell
Those props they sell ARE the GWS props. I think that if a person really wants the GWS props, they need to be comfortable ordering enough of them to weed through and pick out the best ones that track well and discard the rest. Or go with the Graupners.

I have not used the Graupners yet but I LOVE the GWS props when they are good molds. Smooth as butter once balanced properly.
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Closed Thread