SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old May 23, 2012, 11:14 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i have a 4" LCD that i velcro to the Dx8 with 1 vRx on it for framing as well... need to take a pic of that as well.....
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 02:14 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,092 Posts
Okay, more progress...

I'm really starting to like this HF Gimbal board. I have been playing with the gains and the acceleration settings, which no other gimbal controller I've tried has, and I'm getting much closer to getting this dialed in. In the flight below, I have the tilt gain about as close as I can get it, but I had the roll gain just ever so slightly too high. The default on the acceleration is 500, for both channels, and in this flight, I have them set at 600. I think this is just a little too high as you can hear the servos buzzing a little, just before I took off. This will show up in the video as a slight jittering.

AG550-NX 2-Axis NEX-5N Gimbal Test-06.mov (3 min 12 sec)

One other very nice feature on this board is that it shows in the PC app what the output PWM rate is and it is showing that it is close to 800Hz. This makes the gimbal corrections extremely smooth. More so than with the XA FC/AHRS setup, which maxes out at 500Hz. It is a visibly noticeable difference.

Anyway, this flight is pretty close, but there's still some unwanted movements/jitters, most noticeable when in a descent, and or in a hover, that I want to get out. I'm also thinking since the worst case for these would be with the PJ710V, I'm going to put it back on before the next flight.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old May 23, 2012, 02:19 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
good to hear, i have stopped watching your videos on my phone as they all look good on that small of a screen. Ill watch it when i get home on my 100" 1080p projector
Old May 23, 2012, 02:25 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
looks like gusty condition and you can actually see the whole craft jitter/wobble(on the gopro) have to try it on better condition, just to compare. I am sure the sony can take care of those wobble, and that alone may be good enough reason to have the BOSS camcorder as one part of the kit. when all else fails, you will get usable video with the BOSS.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 02:49 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Apr 2011
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
looks like gusty condition and you can actually see the whole craft jitter/wobble(on the gopro) have to try it on better condition, just to compare. I am sure the sony can take care of those wobble, and that alone may be good enough reason to have the BOSS camcorder as one part of the kit. when all else fails, you will get usable video with the BOSS.
Andrey, do you or Gary know the weight of the gimbal/lg w/servos, w/o camera for the gopro 2 axis mount. Trying to come up with an fpv frame design and kind of need that info if it's available. I want to use this mount on it and need to figure auw.

Kenny
midiman007 is offline Find More Posts by midiman007
Old May 23, 2012, 03:35 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,675 Posts
Quote:

BOSS would be icing on the cake. But you guys know the more stable the platform, the more versatile. That boss will never show if you have a good control going on. The other thing is I could not please clients with anything less than DSLR most of the time. I have a hard time convincing them to use a Sony EX1 now and that is a really nice camera that I love to use.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old May 23, 2012, 03:55 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
midi: I will get you some weight later tonight. (we are in process of assembly, so I can take weightwhen they are done)

WB: we do want as good a performance as possible, and we are already looking at way to do that. looks like next thing we are doing is high wind/gust performance. we will begin testing some improvment in coming weeks and if they prove successful, we will have it available as upgrade. our goal is to strive for perfect raw video. there are still room for improvement for sure.

one thing we've been noticing is that Y handles wind better than hexa. (due to apparent higher disk loading) the downside is lack of good props to get best performance and loss of flight time. this is one of the reason to go with Y (besides the bit of redundancy factor) for our dedicated platform. optimizing flight platform is our next goal to match the gimbal.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 04:33 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i am a huge sucker for Y-6s they sound amazing... they are crazy stable in wind and easier to transport...

I am building a flat hex now... as i have not ever flown one, so i am interested to see how it does. The frame was $80 so if it is not any good the electronics will go into another Y6.

as for props... i have found those GemFan Carbon reinforced ones are good for the $$ APC thin Es are decent but really heavy!

I want try some wood props soon.

I would love to see what you guys have planned for wind resistance
Old May 23, 2012, 04:52 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I am running gemfan 9", but I have some zinger 9" tower did not send me the correct prop, and they are sending the correct ones. (they sent 6 tractor instead of 3 of each) I ordered 3 of each cw/ccw of 9x7 and 9x5. jxf has some 10" or bigger so I may order some of them as well for larger Y.

I am going to run 9x5 up top and 9x7 on bottom. so far, I am very happy with how it is flying with 9x5 gemfans top and bottom. motors are cool and handles wind even better than I thought.. I really like my small setup lmao. have to finish it though. I need to finish up the crab as well. lot to do. I am running plush with simonK as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 05:06 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
yeah, i like your small setups as well.... new flight controller are getting so good that you dont need 20" MTM to be stable like 1-2 years ago....

you'll see a little efficiency bump with the steeper pitch on bottom, but the best thing about the steeper pitch on bottom is better yaw authority in fast climbs and descents....

with the same size props/pitch when you punch the throttle the top motors will have better yaw command than the bottom and cause a little wag.... and the opposite on a decent. I have seen it on the WKM and HFpro with a Y6 and same props top and bottom.

I have a set of full carbon 12x3.8s that I want to try on my hex when it is done
Old May 23, 2012, 06:03 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I remember building my first spectralution board quad with 40" MTM then reduced to 30"MTM. once I get a ppm rx, I really should build one back up with simonK esc. see how good or bad it was,

I did not notice that much difference in yaw on my Y, but withsmall size and small blade turning fast, I have lot of yaw authority. I can't do much prop testing until the rest of the zingers shows up. if zingers work well, I can get 10x4/10x6 pusher combo from himodel for larger Y. anyway, lot of work still to do until that point and lot more g-10 to destroy.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Jun 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Nice ground station. I stole my wife's backpack and mounted the rx on it. No diversity. I am a fpv noob. Lol. But I do have a ham license from way back. Advanced class.
Me too Andrey. My way back was 1969: I was 2.
Tim
TimIndy is offline Find More Posts by TimIndy
Old May 23, 2012, 07:31 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
73s tim I got mine 19 years ago. no more advanced class now. so I have not upgraded. I passed the written back then for extra, but failed the 20wpm. I remember doing great on that test until " my name is eileen" came out and I went what and lost the next 2 sentence. lol. I got 6 out of 10 on that test and missed by 1 lol no on else passed. never went back either. now, no code even for extra. that is too bad.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Apr 2011
427 Posts
I've been studying for my technicians license. I've taken 2 practice tests and made 88 on both, so I think I'm ready for the real thing. I had trouble with code when I took the aptitude test for it in the army 40 years ago. I'm kind of glad that it isn't on a test any more
midiman007 is offline Find More Posts by midiman007
Old May 23, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Jun 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
73s tim I got mine 19 years ago. no more advanced class now. so I have not upgraded. I passed the written back then for extra, but failed the 20wpm. I remember doing great on that test until " my name is eileen" came out and I went what and lost the next 2 sentence. lol. I got 6 out of 10 on that test and missed by 1 lol no on else passed. never went back either. now, no code even for extra. that is too bad.
. .. .-.. . . -. Yep, that could throw the tempo off for sure when under pressure. I too stopped at advanced because of the code. When I got to college a few years later, I kind of lost interest, but I had fun dsl'ing in high school. I kept renewing the license, and now it might be handy on using some less busy frequencies for our hobby. It was handy to have had the radio building experience too.
TimIndy is offline Find More Posts by TimIndy
Closed Thread